none
IE8 fails to open UNC in remote session RRS feed

• Question

• Hello My issue is very simple :

When I open IE locally then type a \\UNC in the Address bar I get a explorer windows opened, that's great.

When I connect with MSTSC to the same machine with the program tabs activated and this in the fields :

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -e \\MYUNC

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

I get this error message on the remote computer :

"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:1216:4320,\\MYUNC.
    Make sure you typed name correctly, and then try again. To     
    search for a file, click Start button, and then click Search". 

Used to work with IE6

Thanks for your help, regards.

Etienne
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Etienne,

As I checked your former thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whatforum/thread/cc501a42-3d0e-48f8-8579-a79251621574. I know you're running IE8 on Windows Server 2003.

There're changes made since Internet Explorer 7, it requires all local (local and UNC) folder paths to be handled by the Windows shell process (Explorer.exe). This is documented in KB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928675

As a workaround, you can remove the path location parameter from the iexplorer.exe command line.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your answer, as the KB is ending by this :

"We have received feedback that the separation has caused problems for customers who are heavily dependent on the integration of the Web browser and the Windows shell. We are continuing to gather feedback and will research workarounds for compatibility issues that result from these major architectural changes. When we have more information about customer scenarios, we can improve the behavior of features that overlap the boundary between Windows Internet Explorer and the Windows shell. However, we believe that the separation of these components will lead to a more innovative and flexible Web browser."

I'll open a MSFT case to get a workaround.

Thanks.

Etienne
    Friday, July 22, 2011 8:40 AM