Add an event to two calendars at once RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for a way to add an event to two calendars at once (e.g. my personal calendar and a shared departmental calendar).

I know I can create the event in the first calendar, then copy/paste the event to the second calendar, but I don't find this very efficient. I prefer a method that would allow me to add/sync the event to multiple calendars.

Thanks.

Pat

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I am sorry that there is no a box at the bottom of the event description that says, "Add to the following calendars" and then gives you a list of calendars to choose in Outlook 2010.

For a workaround, you might add your department shared calendar email address as attendee when you add an event in your private calendar. Then this event will appear both in your personal calendar and department calendar.

Any questions? please post back. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pat_123 Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I am sorry that there is no a box at the bottom of the event description that says, "Add to the following calendars" and then gives you a list of calendars to choose in Outlook 2010.

For a workaround, you might add your department shared calendar email address as attendee when you add an event in your private calendar. Then this event will appear both in your personal calendar and department calendar.

Any questions? please post back. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pat_123 Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:19 AM
  • That's what I thought. Thank you!
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hello--

It is now 5 years later. Has Outlook developed a solution to posting a meeting in multiple calendars at once?

Thanks~

-Adam-

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Timely question.  I am glad you are asking it again.  Our group is looking for an answer to this too.  We would like to avoid doing a double entry from a personal work calendar to a group vacation or time-off calendar. We want the employee to have the ability to select only specific items that would be duplicated on the group calendar.

Thanks for posting your question again.

Doug...

Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:16 PM
  • The only solutions outlook has built in are the add to calendars button and sending a meeting invite to the mailbox or calendar (if in public folders). You can also drag appointments to the other calendar folder or use a VBA macro to copy new items to the calendar. The macro works well to copy everything or you could have it copy just some things. 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Friday, January 6, 2017 4:02 AM
  • Diane and Tony,

I appreciate your comments on this. I am trying to accomplish the same on our Office 365 portal. However, I am a loss to understanding how to set this up.

I have created a public folder and I have a shared calendar where my colleagues and I are placing appointment, but have to copy them to the shared folder. It works, but as Pat originally implied it is not efficient and does not sync changes. I like the options mentioned:

• Add to Calendars Option

• Send a meeting invite to the mailbox or calendar

On the first option I can't find that selection. Where exactly can I find that option and will it sync changes properly.

Regarding the second option, when sending an invite to the calendar, it shows up as tentative. According to Microsoft, there is not auto accept meetings for shared calendars. Also when I make changes to the meeting on my primary calendar event it then duplicates it on the shared calendar keeping the original event with the initial settings. So not only is there no auto-accept of meeting, there is no auto-syncing of changes to the original event. Uuugh...

The Macro option is not really going to work with the personnel in our organization. I would appreciate any assistance or resources to help me set this.

Thank you in advance!!

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:42 PM
  • >>Add to Calendars Option
    Where exactly can I find that option and will it sync changes properly.
    >>

Open an event on the shared calendar - it should be in the ribbon. AFAIK, it's just a copy, not linked it to, so changes to the original won't update. It's not applied to the entire calendar - the user needs to do this to each one they want copied. It's really not any faster than right-click drag and drop unless you have the event opened already. 

>>
    According to Microsoft, there is not auto accept meetings for shared calendars. 
    >>

Anything that works server-side on your own mailbox can work on a shared but you need to open the shared box as an account to set it up. If it's a generic shared calendar in a mailbox (not someone's mailbox), change it to a resource - the invite will be autoaccepted and the original on the user's own calendar. If anyone else needs the appointment on their personal calendar, they can copy it (or the organizer can invite them too.) 

As for an completely automated system, there isn't one. Appointments won't be automatically coped to the user's default calendar.  This is basically the problem microsoft solved when they added calendar overlays - you can see the appointments on multiple calendars as one calendar without polluting your own personal calendar. 

Outlook Tips

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:59 PM
  • I was successful with appointments but what about meeting requests? We just moved to having a separate calendar for holiday requests and I am trying to avoid redoing all of my requests which I previously did as a meeting request than an appointment.
    Friday, January 20, 2017 7:41 PM
  • Would it be possible (within a pure Office365 environment) to use Microsoft Flow to trigger an event - i.e. when I add a calendar entry in my personal calendar - that (for example) has a subject that starts with "Common" - with an actions that copies the calendar entryto the common calendar?

/Michael

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Would it be possible (within a pure Office365 environment) to use Microsoft Flow to trigger an event - i.e. when I add a calendar entry in my personal calendar - that (for example) has a subject that starts with "Common" - with an actions that copies the calendar entryto the common calendar?

/Michael

I am trying to solve this exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution using flow or similar? 
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:00 PM
  • I believe the problem with flow is that the mailbox needs an account - which leaves out calendars in (unlicensed) shared mailboxes (which many resource calendars are) and public folders. 

If using Office 365, it looks like Flow might work if the calendar is shared using the new sharing process - share the calendar from Outlook on the web, accept it in Outlook on the web. (I set up a flow using the  "new event is created in a calendar. (V2)", my single test event worked.) 

Outlook Tips

Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:04 PM
  • It's been another year - has Outlook managed to create a patch for this issue, namely the inability to add an event to multiple calendars at once.

Without this fix, Outlook just doesn't work well for most businesses.

It's inefficient, and opens the door to human error.

Thank you for your reply.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:02 PM
  • You should post it as a suggestion at https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows - my search didn't turn up previous suggestions for it. Make sure you include a 'business case' as to why it is needed. 

Outlook Tips

Monday, January 15, 2018 2:23 AM
  • We use a product called ExchangeGroupCalendar by OpusFlow.  You can find it here or look for it on the internet.

http://exchangegroupcalendar.com/

Friday, February 9, 2018 7:23 PM
  • Thank you for this suggestion. We created a team calendar and instructed staff to initiate their time off entries in this calendar, and click the copy to my calendar.  Works great. Now we can see when everyone is out of the office on one calendar while maintaining our own work calendars as usual. 
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:59 PM
  • Just in case anyone is still looking to do this.  Assuming you're not able to use "Direct to Calendar", you can always create a transport rule that states anytime an email goes to meeting Room 1, to BCC meeting room 2.  Works for adding and removing meetings, and eliminates the need to do any of the workarounds suggested in this thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Gralen84 Friday, September 21, 2018 2:42 PM
    • Edited by Gralen84 Friday, September 21, 2018 2:43 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 2:41 PM