Send Email based on Approval Status RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a SharePoint workflow in which data can be entered into a form and an email is then send to a supervisor for approval. I have this working successfully. Next, if this information is approved an email will be sent to one email address, if it is rejected it will be send to a different email address. This what I'm having trouble figuring out. What is the best way to accomplish this? I'm using SharePoint online via Office 365 and SharePoint Designer 2013 to create the workflows. I'm pretty new to SharePoint so I apologize if this is a simple task. Thanks.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:19 PM

Answers

• If you're using the "Start a task process" action within an SPD 2013 workflow, then there will be an Outcome variable with a value of either Approved or Rejected.

In the transition step of the stage, you can then use an If/Else condition to take two different paths in the workflow.

Here's an example from a workflow that I'm creating at the moment..

Paul.

Please ensure that you mark a question as Answered once you receive a satisfactory response. This helps people in future when searching and helps prevent the same questions being asked multiple times.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Hi rdoss,

You can create a SharePoint 2010 platform workflow from SharePoint Designer 2013 for your list/library, then insert an action "Start Approval process", and edit the Change the behavior of a single task, then add the actions send mail in the step "When the task completes" as following image.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi rdoss,

You can refer the below thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/8e637216-b277-448a-8656-0d73c920e2cb/trying-to-send-email-when-a-content-is-approvedrejected?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Similar to send notification section in the above thread, based on workflow status you send the email to the respective recipient. 

My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com|
    If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:06 AM
  • Hi rdoss,

You can create a SharePoint 2010 platform workflow from SharePoint Designer 2013 for your list/library, then insert an action "Start Approval process", and edit the Change the behavior of a single task, then add the actions send mail in the step "When the task completes" as following image.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:21 AM
  • If you're using the "Start a task process" action within an SPD 2013 workflow, then there will be an Outcome variable with a value of either Approved or Rejected.

In the transition step of the stage, you can then use an If/Else condition to take two different paths in the workflow.

Here's an example from a workflow that I'm creating at the moment..

Paul.

Please ensure that you mark a question as Answered once you receive a satisfactory response. This helps people in future when searching and helps prevent the same questions being asked multiple times.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:51 PM