none
RemoteApp - Reconnecting to a Disconnected Session on RDSH Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently evaluating RemoteApp to deliver applications to our roaming users. It is working well.

However, whenever user reconnects, it creates a new session rather than hooking up to a disconnected session. My requirement is that till the time a disconnected session does not end, user must reconnect to their corresponding disconnected sessions only.

I have tried configuring following Group Policy Settings on the Session Host Server, but could not achieve the objective:

• Automatic reconnection = Enabled
    • Configure keep-alive connection interval = 30 mins
    • Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single Remote Desktop Service session = Enabled

Request if someone can guide me about some missing configuration to achieve the objective.

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Jenny,

I added one RDSH server based on Windows Server 2012 and found that disconnected sessions are getting reconnected (even through RemoteApp).

So this confirms bug in Windows Server 2019.

Thanks for all your help.

With regards,

Amit Jogi

• Marked as answer by Jogi Amit Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:40 AM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

Please check and follow the steps to reconfigure the authentication and configuration settings:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security

Reference: Remote Desktop client disconnects and can't reconnect to the same session

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/troubleshoot/rdp-client-disconnects-cannot-reconnect-same-session

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your response. I had already referred to the reference document earlier.

As per the document, the solution is for the cases where original session is still active and didn't enter a disconnected state.

However, my objective is to route the users to their corresponding disconnected sessions, instead of creating new session each time.

Let me know if you have some clue on this.

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Did you deployed RD connection broker role? According to the description of RDCB: If a session disconnects, RD Connection Broker will reconnect the user to the correct RD Session Host server and their interrupted session, which still exists in the RD Session Host farm, which supposed to meet your requirements.

Moreover, please check and set appropriate time for set time limit for disconnected sessions:

Hope this will be helpful.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

I tried almost everything in Group Policy but not able to achieve the objective.

Can you tell me one thing? I have TWO RD Session Host Servers from which I have published applications by creating TWO Collections, each per RD Session Host Server.

What is difference in having "RD Session Host Servers" and a "RD Session Host Farm"? Is there any relation between session reconnection and RD Session Host Farm?

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

Friday, November 29, 2019 11:09 AM
  • Hi Amit,

I don’t think there is relationship with RDS farm or Session host servers. RDS farm is is a dynamic pool of RDS session host with one FQDN name.

To investigate further:

1. please confirm if what are the OS versions of your RDS deployment.

2.How many Group policy you have changed for the reconnection of disconnected session.

3. Please use GP result to check whether or not the GPO have been deployed successfully.

Last but not least, there was a bug for server 2019 for your reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Server-for-IT-Pro/Bug-no-reconnect-to-disconnected-session-with/td-p/218413

Best regards,

Jenny

Monday, December 2, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thank for your response.

All my RD Servers (Session Host, Licensing, Connection Broker, Web Access, Gateway) are running on Windows Server 2019. If the issue being faced is really a bug in Windows Server 2019, I need to check by adding a RD Session Host Server running on previous builds like Windows Server 2016/2012.

Regarding Group Policy changes, I initially did not use them to configure the settings. I rather configured the settings on Collections. Later, to troubleshoot, I replicated all settings in Group Policy also but as you know, it did not work.

Thanks,

Amit Jogi

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Hi Jogi,

Thanks for your update. I found a bug report for server 2019 from other users but with different scenarios.

Please try below workaround and let us know if it works.

Lock the session before the disconnect (ctrl+alt+end -> lock)

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

I understand the session reconnection behavior is common in case of Remote Desktop Connection to a RDSH server and RemoteApp through RDSH server.

I did a small test.

I took Remote Desktop Connection of RDSH server (running Windows Server 2019 and being used for RemoteApp) and disconnected from it. At this stage, my session went into Disconnected status in Task Manager. When I reconnected this server again using Remote Desktop Connection, a new session got created.

I did the same testing on Windows Server 2012. Here, I observed that I got reconnected to my previously disconnected session.

Based on this test, I believe that if we get solution to reconnect a disconnected session for Windows Server 2019, we also will achieve the objective to reconnect and disconnected session through RemoteApp.

Let me know you comments.

Thanks,
    Amit Jogi

Friday, December 6, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi Jenny,

I added one RDSH server based on Windows Server 2012 and found that disconnected sessions are getting reconnected (even through RemoteApp).

So this confirms bug in Windows Server 2019.

Thanks for all your help.

With regards,

Amit Jogi

• Marked as answer by Jogi Amit Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:40 AM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:40 AM