none
Why do iexplore.exe processes hang around after closing IE9? RRS feed

• Question

• I was referred to TechNet after my question posted to the Microsoft Answers forum was deemed "more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums".  Here is the question(s) posed:

I have been using IE9 on my work laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise), personal laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium), and personal computer (Windows 7 Ultimate), and I am experiencing the same problem on all of them. First of all - there always seem to be more instances of iexplore.exe running in my task manager than I have open windows/tabs, and they are always taking up my precious memory. Is there a reason for this? It sure isn't ideal.

Beyond that, I notice that after surfing around and closing all my Internet Explorer 9 windows, there are still at least 2 iexplore.exe processes running in my task manager. One example showed the process taking over 200mb of memory. Does IE9 have a memory leak? Is this "normal" behavior? I posted something similar earlier, but all I was asked to do was disable some add-ons at start-up, which is simply silly because IE9 should work fine with the add-ons that are built into it.

Can someone shed some light on this? I've provided a link to an image for reference.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/ACJarboe/IE9.png

Aaron Jarboe
    Business Systems Analyst III
    Microsoft Global Security
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• I have been using IE9 on my work laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise), personal laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium), and personal computer (Windows 7 Ultimate), and I am experiencing the same problem on all of them. First of all - there always seem to be more instances of iexplore.exe running in my task manager than I have open windows/tabs, and they are always taking up my precious memory. Is there a reason for this? It sure isn't ideal.

By design:  LCIE.

Beyond that, I notice that after surfing around and closing all my Internet Explorer 9 windows, there are still at least 2 iexplore.exe processes running in my task manager.

That can happen.   Use  ProcExp  to see if there is any relation between those tasks and what it might have started.   E.g. your screenshot showed Outlook.exe?   Would you have used IE to launch it?  Try closing those windows if so and see if your symptom changes.

BTW  No Add-ons mode  is a diagnostic, not a resolution.  As such it is a perfectly reasonable and frequently effective suggestion for helping users understand their symptoms.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:21 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'll also add that beyond this, I've found IE9 to be almost untolerably slow and choppy.  For example, when browsing Facebook, as I scroll down using the scroll wheel, it is in no way smooth, and typically scrolls in what I can only describe as chunks, usually taking 4 iterations of chunk scrolling to get to the point to where I scrolled (if that makes ANY sense).  I'm very much so a Microsoft products and services evangelist, but IE9 at this point is almost unusuable for me.

Aaron Jarboe
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I would really appreciate if someone could address this issue.  Thanks.

Aaron Jarboe
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I have been using IE9 on my work laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise), personal laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium), and personal computer (Windows 7 Ultimate), and I am experiencing the same problem on all of them. First of all - there always seem to be more instances of iexplore.exe running in my task manager than I have open windows/tabs, and they are always taking up my precious memory. Is there a reason for this? It sure isn't ideal.

By design:  LCIE.

Beyond that, I notice that after surfing around and closing all my Internet Explorer 9 windows, there are still at least 2 iexplore.exe processes running in my task manager.

That can happen.   Use  ProcExp  to see if there is any relation between those tasks and what it might have started.   E.g. your screenshot showed Outlook.exe?   Would you have used IE to launch it?  Try closing those windows if so and see if your symptom changes.

BTW  No Add-ons mode  is a diagnostic, not a resolution.  As such it is a perfectly reasonable and frequently effective suggestion for helping users understand their symptoms.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply Robert.  Now I understand LCIE, but this begs the question - should I leave those processes running, or would there be any benefit/detriment to ending those processes manually?

Regarding Outlook.exe: the program was launched independent of IE as it is a client application so I doubt there is any interdependence.  Furthermore, this issue exists on a cold boot with no other applications running but IE.

Any insight into my post where I mention the slow and choppy nature of IE9?

Thanks again -

Aaron Jarboe
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Not sure if you ever resolved your issue, but I have an interesting "slant" on the same problem.

I had closed my IE sessions earlier, the latest being open perhaps 1/2 hour ago.

ALl of a suddent I hear some kind of advertisement blaring out of the speakers of the PC.

Thinking I still had IE running I checked and alas, nada.

I went to task manager and began to killl the (5) iexplore.exe tasks and the sound ceased.

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I went to task manager and began to killl the (5) iexplore.exe tasks and the sound ceased. 

Do you have  Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper (BHO) active?   FWIW I had previously stopped using it but started using after installing the latest versions of WL Essentials and found I was getting deadlocked threads frequently which (in various ways) seemed they could be related to that add-on.   Since disabling it (over a week ago) I have not had any more deadlocked threads.   Note that I'm still using the WL ID Sign-in Control (ActiveX add-on).   It's just the BHO that I disabled.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Monday, August 1, 2011 10:59 PM
    Answerer
  • I have a simple question that I think is relevant to this thread...is there an option to have IE9 close all iexplore.exe processes when you close IE?

I have several reasons for prefering this behavior, not the least of which is if I've used Flash during an IE session it prevents my PC some sleeing, or the screen blanking.

When I close IE, I'd like it to close IE.  Is there any way to make that happen?

tia

Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:08 PM
  • is there an option to have IE9 close all iexplore.exe processes when you close IE?

By design?  That's what is supposed to happen.  

I think I saw someone somewhere touting a clickable cmd file which would do a:   taskkill /fi "Imagename eq iexplore.exe"

Hopefully one would only use that when the designed action hadn't occurred--after a reasonable amount of time.  ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, August 26, 2011 12:18 AM
    Answerer
  • I understand that the programmers in Redmond designed IE this way Robert.  I  just don't like it and was hoping they gave users an option to have closeing the application be a little more straight forward.

The taskkill command does work.  I'll have to think about creating a .bat file and trying to get in the habit of closing IE using it.

Thanks for the reply.

--oldguy

edit:

Let me update my comments above in case it may help someone else in the future.  The taskill switches Robert recommended above worked sometimes but not all the time.  I found this switch does kill all running iexplore.exe processes:

taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe

So as a work around I created two .bat files, one with the taskill command and another with:

powercfg /requests
    pause

If I have any doubt, I click the powercfg batch file so see if any running ie files are causing a powercfg request preventing Windows from sleep.  If there are any, I run the taskill batch and the problem is solved.

I've installed shortcuts to both batch files on my quicklaunch bar and use them when needed. 

Friday, August 26, 2011 12:24 PM