“igfxsrvc.exe” is a safe file ?

Question

• When I switch on Internet explorer, I'm getting a pop-up with a Title - "Internet Explorer Security", heading says - "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer". The detail portion says - "This program will open outside of Protected mode. IE's protected mode helps protects your computer. If you do not trust this, do not open this program.

Name : igfxsrvc Module

Publisher : Intel Corporation

Details : C:\Windows\System32\igfxsrvc.exe

I read from some forum that, this file is needed to run the Intel graphics integrated accelerator card. But I wanted to make sure that whether I should allow this or not.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

gfxsrvc.exe is a process associated with Intel(R) Common User Interface from Intel Corporation. It is installed with graphic card drivers with Intel chipsets. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

You may allow it to run.

Please contact Intel more information.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Xiu Zhang - MSFT

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

gfxsrvc.exe is a process associated with Intel(R) Common User Interface from Intel Corporation. It is installed with graphic card drivers with Intel chipsets. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

You may allow it to run.

Please contact Intel more information.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Xiu Zhang - MSFT

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:35 AM
  • Dear Zhang,

I think this will clears my doubt Smile

Thanks & Regards,

Binoy Kaladi.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:36 AM
  •  BinoyKaladi wrote:

When I switch on Internet explorer, I'm getting a pop-up with a Title - "Internet Explorer Security", heading says - "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer". The detail portion says - "This program will open outside of Protected mode. IE's protected mode helps protects your computer. If you do not trust this, do not open this program.

Name : igfxsrvc Module

Publisher : Intel Corporation

Details : C:\Windows\System32\igfxsrvc.exe

I read from some forum that, this file is needed to run the Intel graphics integrated accelerator card. But I wanted to make sure that whether I should allow this or not.

I've been getting the same message since last week. It pops up when I click on the pull-down button on the address bar. I use Internet Explorer 7 and Vista. It's strange. Why did this message never come up before?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:48 AM
  • I have this same issue. I don't quite understand however why my graphics card needs to fire off on the event that my address bar pull down gets hit. Why does it not do the same when I click on any of the other buttons? Why does it only do it initially when I open the browser? I thought that it might fire when you try to navigate anywhere, but I can type in a domain (with auto complete); just as long as I don't hit that pull down. I can visit several sites like this and then hit the address bar pull down and it fires off. I worry that this is some sort of malware masqurading as intel stuff.

Whatever it is doing seems shady. I'm going to continue to block it until the "why" of this can be established. Not allowing it has no effect on usability. However I do worry that this might be a poorly implemented security fix that patches some exploit specific to Intel graphics cards that is unknown to me.

I'm no big fan of Microsoft, nor Mac or Lunix for that matter. Never the less when Vista's security alerts fire off during normal operation I am inclined to choose the most protective action. If this is a security fix then it shouldn't fire off an alert. Intel needs to do better and Microsoft needs to remind them of it.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:27 PM
  • I still don't really know what igfxsrvc.exe is and why the pop-up message used to come up. But it doesn't happen to me anymore! Well, it hasn't happened for so long that I've forgotten about it until now. Still, it's curious. Perhaps a certain Windows Update fixed it?

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:47 AM
  • I see from other answers that it is a "Must Have" file that fires off automatically (and in the background) in any other operating system than VISTA.

I regularly get a "Sign On" window opening when I already set VISTA up 6 months ago. It takes multiple steps to close the window. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

These are just VISTA bugs that will be ironed out in 5 years or so.

Isn't it good to be an early adopter of microsoft software.

Doo
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Don't know if it will help anyone or not, but here it goes.

I got a message saying that it has been corrupted by a virus and I wasn't able to restore it nor send it to quarantine, so I've simply deleted it...

It's been 1 month now and nothing wrong has happened to me about my graphics card.

The only thing that happened is that I don't have a chance to customize my graphics card, but that is not an issue for me (at least not for now).

Everything else is working just fine...

Hope it was of any use to someone...
    Friday, October 16, 2009 11:15 PM