none
Internet Explorer 11 installation WMI Timeout KB2729094

Question

• Hey,

I have a lot of Win7 SP1 PCs here on which I receive an WMI timeout error during Internet Explorer 11 installation.
    Error is the following (always with the same hotfix):

WMI query for Hotfixes timed out. Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'  Error: 0x00040004 (262148).
    If I run the same query in powershell it takes long, but it ends with success.
    Get-WMIObject -Query $('Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"') -Namespace "ROOT\CIMv
    What I already tried was to reinstall the hotfix.
    I although applied hotfix KB2834140 of slow WMI and tried to repair the WMI with following batch:
    sc config winmgmt start= disabled
    net stop winmgmt /y
    %SYSTEMDRIVE% >nul
    cd %windir%\system32\wbem
    For /f %%s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s
    wmiprvse /regserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    net start winmgmt
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s
    But all without success. If I reistall the device installation works without problems, but it is not possible for me to reinstall nearly all my devices newly.

Thank you for help in advance.
    • Edited by MK-Maddin Friday, December 05, 2014 10:41 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello MK-Maddin,

If my understanding is right, you receive the error message in C:Windows\IE11_main.log.

Please take a look at the Most Helpful Reply in the thread similar to this issue.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/windows_7/update-to-ie-11-get-error-9c47/2245f627-58ed-4a96-8802-7feabae753f3
    Please try to install the KB2729094 and check if this issue still exists.

Additionally, please take a look at the following KB about prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2847882/en-us

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 28, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Hey FangZhou,

Thank you for your reply.

Like I already told is that I reinstalled KB2729094.
    Although the WMI Query works that it is installed (see above my powershell information) - it is just very very slowly.

All Prerequisites like described in
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2847882/en-us  are fulfilled.

• Edited by MK-Maddin Friday, November 28, 2014 11:30 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 11:30 AM
  • WMI query for Hotfixes timed out. Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"' Error: 0x00040004 (262148).

What is the implementation of that command?  E.g. would it be generated by WMIC?

wmic.exe  QFE where HotFixId="KB2729094"

I once saw another GUI tool for testing WMI...

I cheated.  I couldn't remember this memorable name...

C:\>dir/a/b/s wbem*.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wbemtest.exe

That should give you something to work with.  Notice there is even control over its timeout?

I used your syntax in a query with that tool.  It didn't time out but I'm not sure I got what I was expecting.   YMMV.   ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:48 PM
    Answerer
  • I have a lot of Win7 SP1 PCs here on which I receive an WMI timeout error during Internet Explorer 11 installation.
    Error is the following (always with the same hotfix):

WMI query for Hotfixes timed out. Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'  Error: 0x00040004 (262148).
    If I run the same query in powershell it takes long, but it ends with success.
    Get-WMIObject -Query $('Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"') -Namespace "ROOT\CIMv
    What I already tried was to reinstall the hotfix.
    I although applied hotfix KB2834140 of slow WMI and tried to repair the WMI with following batch:
    sc config winmgmt start= disabled
    net stop winmgmt /y
    %SYSTEMDRIVE% >nul
    cd %windir%\system32\wbem
    For /f %%s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s
    wmiprvse /regserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    net start winmgmt
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s

I would say that this isn't specifically related to IE11 installation, but is more likely to be due to WMI on your machines, and IE11 installation is merely a victim of the state of WMI on your machines ;)

Have you tried to verify the repository consistency ? (just in case)
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository.aspx

Some other suggestions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1398.list-of-wmi-related-hotfixes-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2011/08/05/suggested-hotfixes-for-wmi-related-issue-on-windows-platforms.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2014/08/07/troubleshooting-wmi-series-coming.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:12 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:36 PM
  • Thank you for your help.
    Since I am currently not at work I will test when I will be back and give feedback.

Friday, December 05, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Are there any news on that topic? I have the same issue here with some clients not managing to run that specific wmi query for updates until a timeout occurs resulting in the described error in IE11_main.log.

I normally can solve that issue by running command "wmic qfe" in cli prior starting IE11 installation, but my question is:

Is there a way to increase the default timeout value for that wmi query run by IE11 installation?

Friday, March 27, 2015 10:29 AM
  • We are currently getting crazy with this issue on a IE9 > IE11 Migration. Our Windows 7 64BIT Setup from the W7 Migrations usualy have all Hotfixes that where important do date we did larger migrations (Around 24 included in our base setups). We also periodic check for Hotfixes and going through all of them. We will have to see with the 5 WMI Hotfixes. Out customer can't download Binaries and some have no Proxy access so this is important.

The Link from DonPick has a good WMI Hotfix list. Currently we have seen 5 of them we could install.

Second time we run the Scripts is valid. We for sure have a reboot between the 12 PRE Patches we deploy + 1 Hotfix for Blury fonts and then in a second package do the IEAK Package Setup. On VM test it runs good 50 times on real machines it does or not depending ion whatever. We have a third with POST Cumulative Hotfixes and updates so the browser does not RUN unpatches for days.

Here is the HOTFIX List again for WMI corrected with Superseeded Versions:

http://www.butsch.ch/post/W7-64BIT-WMI-Hotfixes-do-date-post-SP1.aspx

There may another package with these WMI Hotfixes we have to run before the full Migration of IE11.

Error we have sometimes but not on all:

01:52.679: ERROR:   WMI query for Hotfixes timed out. Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'  Error: 0x00040004 (262148).

I agree that this is not a special IE11 problems. Its a WMI problem which comes UP on clients who did migrate to IE10 and go now direct from IE9 to IE11. Rebuild the Patch Inventory by "c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmic.exe qfe" was not the solution.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:52 PM
  • i hit the same problem on a few computers (win server 2008 R2 with ie10 and all prereq for ie11 installed).

the solution i find is opening a command prompt with run as administrator, and start installation of kb2729094 (is a msu file). It's already installed but now doesn't matter.

while kb is searching to see if it applies or not to my computer, i start installation of ie11 (the executable downloaded from ms)

And voila, it worked.

On one computer i need so start a few times installa of ie11 while searcing for kb2729094, but finally worked.

Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:40 PM
  • I am having this issue.  We've successfully installed IE11 on 10,000 W7 machines.  There are several hundred where it will not install, with the following error message in \windows\IE11_main.log:

WMI query for Hotfixes time out.  Query string: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'  Error: 0x00040004 (262148).

On a problematic machine, from WBEMTEST, I try running the following queries:

select * from win32_quickfixengineering where HotFixID="KB2729094"

select * from win32_quickfixengineering

These queries are taking anywhere from 40 to 80 seconds to come back with a result.  A WMI rebuild does not improve things.  On an unaffected machine, the same queries take 15 seconds to return a result.

The other suggestions in this thread, and other similar threads, are not resolving the issue for me.

Microsoft: Any chance that you could increase the WMI query timeout in your IE11 install code?

Thanks,

Nick.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Running the following command, every 10 minutes on the affected machines via SCCM (effectively tickling WMI), seems to be doing the trick:

%COMSPEC% /C WMIC qfe

The first time this command runs on an affected machines, it takes 2 minutes to complete.  Subsequent runs of the same command take 30 seconds.  Then, when I run the IE install, it works!

A week ago, I had about 300 machines with the issue.  90% of those machines are now confirmed to have IE11 installed.

Nick.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Rebuild the Patch Inventory by "c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmic.exe qfe"  was not the solution.

%COMSPEC% /C WMIC qfe

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:19 PM
  • "c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmic.exe qfe"  was not the solution.

Did you schedule it to run "every 10 minutes"?  Maybe your system has a different timing requirement to get help from this workaround?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Has there been any other thoughts on this issue?I have so far had about 5 of 13 machines fail in our small test rollout. Always fails on the same KB so I am thinking its not related to WMI on the specific box. The worst part is the installer reports back a success message to SCCM so it thinks it installed. I cant go through 600 machines by hand trying to do this.

Is it a bug in IEAK or in the IE 11 installer?

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

Ive managed to solve this problem. We made a Task Sequence,which includes these steps:

WMI timeout step is made as of powershell, it sets up the wmi timeout to 10 minutes. Another step related to WMI queries executes this query 4 times: 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'. Please be noted that 3 times was not enough! Internet Explorer install was made with the .exe package and not with the msi. If we tried that msi package, it will not work at all. Even the .exe wont work without those steps in task sequence. Restarts are also required 2 times.

Timeout powershell:

$wmi = [wmi]''
    $wmi.PSBase.Options.Timeout = '0:10:0'

Query powershell:

Get-WmiObject -Query 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'
    Get-WmiObject -Query 'Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering WHERE HotFixID="KB2729094"'

Batch to install IE 11:

start /wait IE11-Windows6.1-x64-fi-fi.exe /quiet /norestart /update-no

• Edited by MtJok Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:10 AM