none
CALs Active but not Issued / Cannot Remote Desktop more than 2 users - Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been racking my brain and looking through tech doc after tech doc and video after video but for some reason I just cannot get my users to utilize the Remote Dektop CALs i have installed.   

I purchased 50 CALs licenses and installed them.  
    I have windows server 2012 R2 essentials
    The server is setup as a domain but it's not really being utilized like a domain at all (i.e. no one really logs into the server, until now via RD). It's more for just storage and serving up a business software platform folks connect to via IP address from a thick client.

Anyways, the issue.

The CALs are installed and it shows 50 installed, 50 available - 0 issued -- Per User Licensing.
    *Note - i've even allocated 10 now for per device, I tried that and it didn't work. They show as available but nothing ever gets issued.

I run the diagnoser and it shows up all green, i'm not seeing any errors, even when I disable hiding general events via GPEDIT

I'm not even sure where to start on what to post to try to diagnose the issue but not matter what I cannot get more than two users logged in at the same time. 

after 8 hours of installing, trying, uninstalling, breaking, etc.. I am looking for some help! 

Monday, August 19, 2019 1:40 PM

Answers

• Essentials only supports 2 Active sessions, regardless of how many RDS CALs you own. You need to setup another member server and install that as a RDS server

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by BarrettK Monday, August 19, 2019 3:33 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 2:19 PM
  • I would migrate that 2012 R2 Essentials to 2016 Standard and install the Essentials Experience role on that DC. Part of the Essentials Experience role is the RDP Gateway and Access Anywhere. You can use Access Anywhere to grant users to access the RDS Server (that other one you need to install)

Remember that this setup is aimed at the SMB space with limited budget. In an enterprise situation you will use at least 3 servers for RDS and most certainly not use a DC in this context as one the servers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by BarrettK Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:50 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

It is supported to transit from Windows Server Essentials to Windows Server Standard without re-install system. Using command line too DISM and standard OS version product key.

Reference below link for detail steps(it is also applied to later/newer OS version):
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/transition-from-windows-server-2012-essentials-to-windows-server-2012-standard

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:45 AM

All replies

• Essentials only supports 2 Active sessions, regardless of how many RDS CALs you own. You need to setup another member server and install that as a RDS server

• Marked as answer by BarrettK Monday, August 19, 2019 3:33 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Sigh :)   Thank you for the quick reply!   Would another option be to just upgrade from server 2012 r2 essentials to like 2016 standard or something?   I am hoping there is an upgrade path that's not a full wipe and go. 

If not, then I'll just stand up another member server and go the route you have suggested.

Monday, August 19, 2019 3:33 PM
  • I would migrate that 2012 R2 Essentials to 2016 Standard and install the Essentials Experience role on that DC. Part of the Essentials Experience role is the RDP Gateway and Access Anywhere. You can use Access Anywhere to grant users to access the RDS Server (that other one you need to install)

Remember that this setup is aimed at the SMB space with limited budget. In an enterprise situation you will use at least 3 servers for RDS and most certainly not use a DC in this context as one the servers.

Monday, August 19, 2019 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

It is supported to transit from Windows Server Essentials to Windows Server Standard without re-install system. Using command line too DISM and standard OS version product key.

Reference below link for detail steps(it is also applied to later/newer OS version):
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/transition-from-windows-server-2012-essentials-to-windows-server-2012-standard

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:45 AM