none
Remote Access Gateway Traffic not following proxy automatic configuration rules RRS feed

• Question

• We recently moved to a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file and have run into a problem with users who access a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Remote Web Access gateway. Users are able to logon to the Remote Web Access website, but when they try to start a remote desktop session it doesn't connect. If we revert back to the old method of using a proxy server setting and exclusions list, the gateway works fine. We also find that if we use a WINHTTP proxy using NETSH, the traffic works. We do not want to use the proxy server setting and exclusion list. We want everything in the PAC file. Is there something specific that needs to be in the PAC file for the Remote Web Access gateway to work with remote desktop while using a PAC file?
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I known, all Internet traffic from a client goes through the proxy (not just traffic from Web browsers), including:

1. Traffic tunneled over HTTP and HTTPS by remote desktop applications 

2. Instant messaging clients 

3. Software updaters for Windows and anti-virus applications

4. Custom internal applications

The issue may occurred duo to many of these programs are not developed with proxy compatibility.

Meanwhile, I would like suggest to you post the question on IE development forum for further help.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Hopefully you could resolve your issue soon.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:00 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:19 PM

All replies

• We did get this to work, but I am sure it isn't working correctly. If we add proxy settings (IP, port and exclusions) but leave in the PAC file location, we find that most of traffic uses the PAC file. Something things like the remote desktop gateway and JAVA 7 Update 45 will not use the PAC file, but instead follow what ever the proxy settings are set to. I wouldn't say we fixed this, but we did make it so that it works. We have tested with IE8 and IE9 and they both act the same way...
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

As I known, all Internet traffic from a client goes through the proxy (not just traffic from Web browsers), including:

1. Traffic tunneled over HTTP and HTTPS by remote desktop applications 

2. Instant messaging clients 

3. Software updaters for Windows and anti-virus applications

4. Custom internal applications

The issue may occurred duo to many of these programs are not developed with proxy compatibility.

Meanwhile, I would like suggest to you post the question on IE development forum for further help.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Hopefully you could resolve your issue soon.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:00 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:19 PM