none
An IE reset deletes all favorites? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

I was in the process of troubleshooting a browser issue for a user.  I went to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and clicked the RESET button.   Now all of his favorites are gone.     I was under the impression that the Favorites stayed intact, and according to the info below it should not have been removed.   Any ideas what happened?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

By resetting Internet Explorer settings, you return it to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer. This is useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings that were changed after installation. When you delete personal settings, some webpages that rely on previously stored cookies, form data, passwords, or previously installed browser add-ons might not work correctly. Resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings does not delete your favorites , feeds, Web Slices, and a few other personalized settings. See the table below for a complete list of all settings and information about whether they are reset or maintained.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• * * * * I GOT THEM BACK * * * *  Originally, I had to fix a corrupt IE9, and chose to 'Reset' it under the 'Advanced' tab.  Using a technet article, mind you... now my favorites were missing.  After 7 'System Restores' and 'Undos', some UniBlue PowerSuite registry restores and with all the success of nothing...  I went to the C:\Users\<UserName>\Favorites folder, I RIGHT-CLICKED ON IT -> and chose 'Restore Previous Versions', next a dialog screen loaded, and it showed, with a list of Folder versions and dates.  At this point, you can click on a corresponding date, and then cick 'Open'.  To my shock and surprise, they were there, I tried 'Restore' which didn't seem to work.  So I clicked on the most recent date that had them all, and 'Selected All' Ctrl-A, and right clicked and chose 'Copy'.  Then went into the Favorites folder and chose 'Paste'.  Now they're all back.  If I left anything out, I'm sure you'll get it, that's the jist of it.  I used to work at Microsoft in Irving for Messaging, but they didn't need me I guess.  Maybe because my bosses nickname was the T1000.

Hazzard547

Windows 7 Home Premium

Toshiba C655 Intel Core i3 (The good one)

hazzard547@gmail.com

• Proposed as answer by Hazzard547 Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:17 PM
    • Edited by Hazzard547 Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by XRS Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:39 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

Please check C:\Users\UserName\Favorites, are all the Favorites still stored there?

If it's stored there, open your IE, click Favorites, expand "Add to Favorites", choose Import and Export Favorites - Import from a file - Next, then choose the Favorites file location.

Regards,

Miya 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check C:\Users\UserName\Favorites, are all the Favorites still stored there?

If it's stored there, open your IE, click Favorites, expand "Add to Favorites", choose Import and Export Favorites - Import from a file - Next, then choose the Favorites file location.

Regards,

Miya 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:15 AM
  • I, too, hit reset today, and all of my favorites are gone. They are gone from the Users folder as well, and they are not in the recycle bin. I tried a system restore but had no luck.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Hi profwilber,

The Favorites will be maintained after you reset IE, please refer to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

Meanwhile, please ask a new question about your issue, you will get more help here.

Regards,

Miya

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Thank you for the quick reply. The favorites were not retained. The favorites no longer exist on my hard drive. They are not in the users folder. The users folder shows a half dozen or so default folders like Toshiba and Skype.  What is interesting is that the personal links in the favorites bar folder have been retained. In other words, my favorites have disappeared from my computer. I searched the C drive for "favorites" and they were not found. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Hi profwilber,

Did you try a system restore to the time before you reset IE?

The Favorites will go back then.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Yes, I did. I restored to a few minutes before I reset IE. Favorites are still gone.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:00 PM
  • profwilber  -  I never got this fully resolved for our user.   I did search and find the link below a few minutes ago.   Can you verify that the Favorites folder isn't hidden?

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=235927

Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:21 PM
  • @profwilber,

After you restore the system, the Favorites are still gone. This behavior is very strange. Are you backup the Favorites folder?

@SR_1,

Since I cannot reproduce this issue, I suggest you audit the folder C:\Users\%username%\Favorites, refer to Auditing files and Folders in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727008.aspx. Then reset IE to check what happend to this Favorites folder.

Regards,

Miya

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:17 AM
  • I too am having this issue, has anyone come up with an actual resolution, all of Miya's advice has been of no help so far :(
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Same here on IE9!  Did a reset, and Favorites are gone except for the the Links Folder.  
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:29 AM
  • * * * * I GOT THEM BACK * * * *  Originally, I had to fix a corrupt IE9, and chose to 'Reset' it under the 'Advanced' tab.  Using a technet article, mind you... now my favorites were missing.  After 7 'System Restores' and 'Undos', some UniBlue PowerSuite registry restores and with all the success of nothing...  I went to the C:\Users\<UserName>\Favorites folder, I RIGHT-CLICKED ON IT -> and chose 'Restore Previous Versions', next a dialog screen loaded, and it showed, with a list of Folder versions and dates.  At this point, you can click on a corresponding date, and then cick 'Open'.  To my shock and surprise, they were there, I tried 'Restore' which didn't seem to work.  So I clicked on the most recent date that had them all, and 'Selected All' Ctrl-A, and right clicked and chose 'Copy'.  Then went into the Favorites folder and chose 'Paste'.  Now they're all back.  If I left anything out, I'm sure you'll get it, that's the jist of it.  I used to work at Microsoft in Irving for Messaging, but they didn't need me I guess.  Maybe because my bosses nickname was the T1000.

Hazzard547

Windows 7 Home Premium

hazzard547@gmail.com

• Proposed as answer by Hazzard547 Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:17 PM
    • Edited by Hazzard547 Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by XRS Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:39 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:16 PM
  • man Hazzard547, that was amazing. i was freaking out when i reset IE9 and lost all my favorties. i tried a system restore and it did nothing. thank you for posting the solutions.

-vipperx

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:58 AM
  • You are a genius.  This worked for me.  I never new this existed!!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:50 PM

Hazzard547

Windows 7 Home Premium

hazzard547@gmail.com

Lifesaver! Thanks much! Worked for me too...
    Monday, September 3, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Resetting IE9 running on Windows 7 Professional DELETED all of my FAVORITES.

I also used : >Tools>Internett Options>Advanced to perform the "reset".

They didn;t go in the wastebasket nor did reverting to an earlier restore point (When the existed) bring them back.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:44 PM
  • I just did a Reset on IE9 on Win 7 Home Premium, and observed the exact same thing.

The Reset wiped out all my Favorites, and there appears to be no way to get them back.

This is fucking pathetic, and yet one more reason why Internet Explorer has a reputation for SUCK.
    Monday, December 3, 2012 11:19 PM
  • This is in fact a problem with IE9. We were working with ADP payroll company and much to our shock, it happened on the main payroll computer and when, thinking it might be the computer, switched to another and the same thing happened. We were fortunate and had backups on file server. Switched back to IE8 and will try IE10 later. IE11 will not work with most of the plugins we run.
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Hazzard547

Thank You!!  I had to delete personal settings on IE 11.  I checked to see if favorites would still exist if I deleted personal settings and MS assured me that my favorites would still be there afterwards.  Like everyone here, they were GONE!  I searched and found your solution.  Went to the "C:\Users\<UserName>\Favorites folder", right-clicked, chose restore previous versions.  Several choices came up.  I used the last date I thought my favorites still existed.  Then clicked "Restore" and all of them were back.  It was that easy (once you know how). 

I really depend on my favorites so I thank you again.  I know this is an old thread, but it's really a lifesaver.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

THanks for sharing resolution. I also got back all my favorites by restoring previous version of Favorite folder.

Thank You.

Rajesh Kadam

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Thank you!!

I'd been trying a few options to recover my fiance's bookmarks after he reset IE (also thinking bookmarks would be preserved), and saw the option of right-clicking the Internet Explorer folder and restoring to a previous version.  Hadn't even clued in that it could be done on the Favorites folder!

Thanks again :)

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:36 PM