none
Create Templates (Page/Site) in SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

looking for some feedback from the community. I am using the new page template functionality in SharePoint online to create pages for our clients and projects associated with it. The template has a document library and an custom contact list.

I tested the template by creating 2 pages for 2 different clients. when i try to make changes to the document library or custom list, changes like rename the folder or add contact information in the custom list, it automatically changes the information on the other client page as well. it seems the document library and the custom list on both the pages point to the same webpart. 

How do i fix this issue. i followed the process listed in the link below to create the template, not sure if i did something wrong!

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/page-templates-in-sharepoint-online-faa92408-0c84-4e3d-8460-3c28065e7873 

thank you for your feedback!

Ajay Mandal

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:10 AM

Answers

• Hi, Ajay,

After a few days, does the solution works for you? You can mark the reply as answer if it helps you.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Intellixion Wednesday, February 5, 2020 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hi, Ajay,

That is a by-design behavior as the page template holds the settings in that web part. So the list/library web part still connects to the original list and library when you create the template. 

If you want to make the web part connect to another list/library you need, simple edit it. Here is a tutorial about how to use the web part:https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-list-web-part-ef0a1b80-f8b3-443d-b04a-1e76c70b5537

It is almost the same with the document library web part. Have a check on this tutorial:https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-document-library-web-part-a9dfecc3-2050-4528-9f00-2c5afc5731b0#ID0EAABAAA=Online

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, January 17, 2020 7:32 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

thanks for the feedback. Additional question:

So basically when one creates a template webparts cannot be part of the template. one has to add new webparts each time a template is used to create a new page? The issue I am trying to solve is how do we create ten/hundreds of page with similar layout and webparts for each client/project. Once we have that then individual users can go to each page and change the name, webpart title, document library folder name etc. So from your feedback it seems the template is just a shell one has to add new webpart to each new page create so that it does not tie to the parent webpart? Am I correct?

Ajay Mandal

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:17 PM
  • Hi, Ajay,

Let me explain a bit more about your concerns.

"So from your feedback it seems the template is just a shell one has to add new webpart to each new page create so that it does not tie to the parent webpart?"

You can treat the library web part as a screen, it displays the library we want to show. When you create the template, the library web part is set by you to dynamically show a certain library. After the template is saved, the settings are also saved. That is way when you use the template to create a new page, the web part is still showing the original library you set. If any change is done to that library, the web part in new page will also shows the modified library.  And i assume that behavior is confusing you as you want it to show another library. 

You do not need to re-add a web part. Just as you have seen, the web part is still in the page, you only need to change the settings of the document/list web part and set it to show another library/list. Just like the screenshot below, all the options on the left hand are libraries available in my test site. I can select another library here. In that way, the web part will display the new library i set to show in the page.

"The issue I am trying to solve is how do we create ten/hundreds of page with similar layout and web parts for each client/project."

Yes, the layout and web part is saved in the template. All you need to do is adjusting settings of the web parts according to your requirements.

Best Regards

Jerry

Monday, January 20, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

So if I understand what you are saying is, although I am using a template, I have to create libraries or list for each page and point it to the correct one for each page. So if I am creating 20 client pages and I want each library or list to hold each client specific document/data, I will have to pre-create 20 of those libraries/list and in the setting page point it to the correct library/list for each client page I create.

Please clarify!

thanks,

Ajay Mandal

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:19 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

as a follow up to my earlier question above is there a way to save a document library or list as a template in SharePoint online?

thanks,

Ajay Mandal

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:09 PM
  • Hi, Ajay,

Let me clarify a bit more about it. 

When you create a client page with the page template, the layout is applied. And the list and library web part is also added to the client page. No need to add them again.

As we want to display each client specific document/data. I assume your client also store their documents in libraries, and use lists to hold data. What we need to do is edit the settings of list/library web part. Make the library web part point to the correct document library. It is the same with the list web part.

I guess you are assuming if the web part could automatically find the "correct" list or library to display. That is not possible as we have no idea how our client name and store their data.

Best Regards

Jerry

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:50 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I understand one has to point to the right library or list by editing the webpart. But one has to create all the new libraries or list to choose from right??? otherwise by default there is only one document library or list. 

Ajay Mandal

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:56 AM
  • Hi, Ajay,

Sorry for the possible confusion i made. Would you like to share us with a bit more information about your final goal?

Do you mean you want each user to have an individual library and list to be displayed in the page only for the user him/herself? So any modification done by a certain user will not take effects on others.  If so, yes you need to create libraries and lists for each user. 

You can save list and library as template including its content. Here is the tutorial: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-list-templates-c3884ad1-bc49-44b8-b3d6-3bc6a01eb393

Best Regards

Jerry

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:12 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

thank you. this clarifies what I was looking for. Unfortunately I do not see the save list or library as template feature under the library or list settings. I have the custom script feature enabled. Is there something else I need to enable for this feature to show?

thanks!

Ajay Mandal

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:22 AM
  • Hi, Ajay,

If you change the custom script feature in Admin center, it will take around 24 hours to take effect. If you are an administrator of your tenant, you can change it immediately through Power Shell. Open the SharePoint Online Management Shell and use the script below

$adminUPN="user@domain.onmicrosoft.com"
    $userCredential = Get-Credential -UserName $adminUPN -Message "Type the password."
    Connect-SPOService -Url <site url> -Credential $userCredential
    Set-SPOsite <site url> -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/allow-or-prevent-custom-script

Best Regards

Jerry

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:35 AM
  • Hi, Ajay,

After a few days, does the solution works for you? You can mark the reply as answer if it helps you.

Best Regards

Jerry

• Marked as answer by Intellixion Wednesday, February 5, 2020 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:29 AM