none
Soooo... the MultiPoint Services Role is gone RRS feed

• Question

• I understand MultiPoint Services Role is removed from Windows Server after build 1803. I'm not clear on the official alternative of MultiPoint Connector and Remote Desktop Services Session Host (I've never used them/set them up before). I'm trying to upgrade my client's lab of 16 thin clients and their 4 servers running Microsoft MultiPoint Server 2011 Premium to one beefier server running the latest Microsoft equivalent solution/offering - how does this work exactly with MultiPoint Connector and Remote Desktop Services Session Host?
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:53 AM

All replies

• My opinion is that there is a reason Microsoft is ditching MultiPoint. I have now been struggling for weeks trying to set it up on Server 2016 and everything it claims to be is false. If you run Microsoft apps and general browsing, it's fine - but the whole "isolated apps" on virtual desktops is a load of rubbish.

From what I see you are supposed to be able to run an isolated virtual machine per "local" station - something they sneak in to the fine print. But even on local sessions, it is one virtual machine shared between the 2 or more stations and it just creates a remote desktop connection to the virtual machine.

Sorry - not sure what the school's requirements are? We run 27 stations of a single Server and it works fine for Microsoft Office, but it is useless for third party apps that cannot run on a single machine.

HH

Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:45 PM
  • I'm running both in different setups, seperate organizations. The main disadvantage is the direct connections to the host capability that is lost, which from testing seemed the way to go. The game changes a bit if you have to do 20+ connections to one host over the network.

Not sure what people do that used zero clients either, will that still work?

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:49 AM