none
Can I get Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 ?

Question

• Can I get Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 ?

NO R2,
    I want to use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows Server 2012.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Friday, November 8, 2013 1:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As I known, Internet Explorer 11 is preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2. No additional action is required.

If you plan to run IE 11 on Windows server 2012, it won’t be supported. Internet Explorer 11 is not available for download for on Windows Server 2012.

For more information, you may refer to:

Internet Explorer 11 - FAQ for IT Pros

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn268945.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:15 PM
  • I find it at last a bit strange that IE 11 is available for Windows Server 2008 R2 but not for 2012.  What was Microsoft thinking?
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Microsoft Engineers are drunk!!!

Renato R. Costa

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Strange is an understatement.  This is completely ridiculous.

Friday, May 15, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

Internet Explorer 11 isn't supported on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.

Please refer to:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321440.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn268945.aspx

Syed

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:15 AM
  • Hi do you know what will happened on the server 2012 when IE11 becomes the only IE Suppported (jan2016)?

Roberto Di'Lello | MVP DS | http://www.radians.com.ar -- Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no otorga ningún derecho. Ud. asume los riesgos This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights. You assume all risk for your use. --

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Same question as Roberto. What are we supposed to do about this:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

We need IE 11 for Windows Server 2012 (non-R2).

• Proposed as answer by RealRagenkagen Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RealRagenkagen Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:52 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 3:25 PM
  • This is why I'm not going to ever even try to install server 2016.  Any news on a release day for 2016 R2?  Cause I'm not gonna get screwed over again the way I did with Server 2008r1 and 2012r1.
    Friday, December 11, 2015 7:55 PM
  • This is a little confusing, but it seems that the statement is not actually that only Internet Explorer 11 will receive updates, rather it is the latest version available for that operating system.  For the most commonly used versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012 R2) that is IE 11.  This is the language used in the link you provided and is reflected here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/Microsoft-Internet-Explorer 

So, for Server 2012 (non-R2), Internet Explorer 10 should still receive updates (according to these pages) as long is it is a supported Operating System.  This is the same for other supported versions of Windows that are not able to go to IE 11.  

I tried to call Microsoft today to get an answer on this and got passed around several times and then told I would have to open a ticket with a support engineer and possibly have to pay for that ticket (up to the engineer's discretion).  This seemed really ridiculous to me as I simply wanted the information about an operating system we already pay for and I did not have a technical issue.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Got any more info on getting IE11 on W2012?
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Yep....not only has Microsoft forced every 2012 standard server into an automatic security risk, but the support is still allowed mainstream 2018, extended 2023!  Good lord!  Here is the money shot.....if you upgrade your 2012 to R2 that is a license violation and you must purchase another license!  lol!  nothing like saying....please try google chrome or any other browser.  Moreover, try apple or linux for servers as we like to nickel and dime for every MINOR update while disabling your next browser.

The future will be interesting for Microsoft as "we" (IT ADMINS/SYSTEMS) watch and learn from another forced security fail.  A smart move would be for them to allow 12, but I will not expect that all.

Monday, April 11, 2016 6:19 PM
  • Unbelievable. Microsoft. Your own operating system will not allow your own browser. Are you serious. I am literally gobsmacked by this revelation. We have a large system of 2012 installations and a client requires IE11. How do we tell them as technicians that this is not possible. Hang on, don't worry. Firefox works on all server installations? WT%...
    Friday, September 9, 2016 10:22 AM
  • Is there an update on this?

We have a mix of on-premise servers (2012, not R2) and Azure servers. However, since the Azure portal won't work on IE 10, and we can't get IE 11 for Server 2012, we can't administer our Azure servers from our Windows server platform!

We use Chrome, but Azure Portal has numerous problems with that!

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:15 PM
  • I can't even use IE 10 to connect to Azure from my 2012 Servers any longer!

I have to install Google Chrome????

Ultimate stupidity!

Randall

Monday, July 17, 2017 10:12 PM
  • Yes, it's difficult to understand.

We have servers  2012 with Remote Desktop and users need IE11 to access some webs.

Only three years after W2012 Microsoft did make it obsolete, it's incredible!!.

At least, Microsoft must allow users to upgrade to R12 free of charge. It's enough price the work to upgrade.

It seems we can only start crying....

Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:19 AM
  • I just deployed a 2016 server, with 25 years of experience should have known better.  Service Pack 0 of every Microsoft product has been sxxx .  The Essentials Experience on this box is HORRID.  If it weren't for Microsoft Gotcha's on every single release of software where they take sxxx out and put worthless, broken sxxx in, I could be living big.  How many non-billable hours, days, weekends and hair have you lost being a Microsoft "Partner".  Victim is more like it.  How quick would you divorce a "Partner" who habitually lies on top of lies, and does shady things like this all the time.  The software is riddled with bugs gets worse with every release.  Starting a lawn care business looks like a dream to me after enduring this abuse since Windows 3.0 POS.  XP POS, Vista POS, Win 8 PODogS, Win10 1511, POHorseS,.
    Friday, May 4, 2018 10:39 PM
  • Created a login, just so I could up vote this. Wish I could up vote it about 5K times!
    Friday, May 25, 2018 9:31 PM
  • Its hard to fathom what goes on in MS heads.

Obviously NOTHING. I swear these fools are the dumbest in the Industry.

The only reason they are who they are is by steeling and ripping off others. Low Life's for sure, scum of the earth, lower than cockroaches, slimier than slugs, and no foresight whatsoever.

So MS, seeing how your OWN stupid Browser is junk (which is A typical of you morons) I will use ANYTHING but your PRODUCT.

And going forward, SERVERS will NOT be Microsoft, were are done with this pathetic money grabbing, low quality product offering, gutter trash company.

I hope MS collapses in a steamy pile of feces TODAY...the sooner the better.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:40 PM