none
OOTB Approval Workflow Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am running into a problem where OOTB Approval Workflows suddenly stopped working. The "Page Approval" column is populating with "Error Occured" and the "Workflow History" has two error events "The workflow operation failed because the workflow lookup found no matching item" and "An error has occurred in Page Approval". This was working not long ago and no changes have been made recently. I have confirmed that "Require content approval for submitted items" is "yes" and "Enable content approval" is checked in the workflow settings.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Associated log entries:

SharePoint Foundation         Workflow Infrastructure       72er Medium   System.ArgumentException: Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.GetItemById(String strId, Int32 id, String strRootFolder, Boolean cacheRowsetAndId, String strViewFields, Boolean bDatesInUtc)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOEWSSService.RetrieveListItem(SPWeb web, Guid id, Guid listId, SPItemKey itemKey, Boolean allowCreate)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOEWSSService.UpdateModerationStatus(Guid id, Guid listId, SPItemKey itemKey, SPModerationStatusType newModerationStatus, String comments) 0ee3e0b0-fe32-436b-86dd-309842f053e9
    SharePoint Foundation         Workflow Infrastructure       88xr Unexpected WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow Id# 63db9957-7315-466f-bc87-5aa5c55e7a3c 0ee3e0b0-fe32-436b-86dd-309842f053e9
    SharePoint Foundation         Workflow Infrastructure       98d4 Unexpected System.ArgumentException: Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.GetItemById(String strId, Int32 id, String strRootFolder, Boolean cacheRowsetAndId, String strViewFields, Boolean bDatesInUtc)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOEWSSService.RetrieveListItem(SPWeb web, Guid id, Guid listId, SPItemKey itemKey, Boolean allowCreate)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOEWSSService.UpdateModerationStatus(Guid id, Guid listId, SPItemKey itemKey, SPModerationStatusType newModerationStatus, String comments)     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Actions.SetTaskProcessItemModerationStatus.DoUpdate(ActivityExecutionContext context)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowActions.WaitForDocumentUnlockActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContex... 0ee3e0b0-fe32-436b-86dd-309842f053e9
    SharePoint Foundation         Workflow Infrastructure       98d4 Unexpected ...t executionContext)     at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Actions.SetTaskProcessItemModerationStatus.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext context)     at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)     at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)     at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)     at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run() 0ee3e0b0-fe32-436b-86dd-309842f053e9
    InfoPath Forms Services       Runtime                       961x Medium   Not persisting state for request due to previous errors. Form Template: urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:infopath:workflowInitAssoc:-AutoGen-2009-07-31T09:57:22:891Z:1033 0ee3e0b0-fe32-436b-86dd-309842f053e9

Thanks,

J.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:21 PM

Answers

• Ok, this is working now. Had to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, Shift + Right-Click "SPDESIGN.EXE", select "Run as a different user", login as the system account, then republish the workflow. After that I restarted the SP Timer Service on all servers. Now the first time a workflow is started it will run the old version, but once canceled and restarted it will start working. Not sure why it uses the old version the first time, but better than not working at all.

Thanks,

J.

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi J,

Here you go

Here is the resolution for you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f3625f35-902b-4e2a-adca-7fb857751b34/sharepoint-2010-workflow-error?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the answer if it helps you

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Hi jhowell65X,

Does the error occur on every item? What type of the list is associated with the workflow?

It seems it could work when “Enable content approval” is unchecked. However, it’s not a suitable suggestion.

Try to add the account to the site collection administrator.

In addition, you could recreate a workflow to test.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hi Lakshmanan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think this is a different issue. I am using the Out Of the Box Publishing approval workflow which has never been checked out.

Thanks,

J.

Friday, February 5, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. This is happening on the "Pages" library in a publishing site. It is occurring on all pages.

I made a copy of the workflow and published it under a different account that I know is working (my account) and configured it just as the other was. The new one does work with the new account. The old account was site collection admin and had full control for the web app. The last time the original workflow was published was 2011, so maybe that account has been changed. Would like to be able to get in SPD with the farm account and republish. I noticed that other sites that are working are published as the "System" which seems more appropriate than a user.

Thanks,

J.

Friday, February 5, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Ok, this is working now. Had to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, Shift + Right-Click "SPDESIGN.EXE", select "Run as a different user", login as the system account, then republish the workflow. After that I restarted the SP Timer Service on all servers. Now the first time a workflow is started it will run the old version, but once canceled and restarted it will start working. Not sure why it uses the old version the first time, but better than not working at all.

Thanks,

J.

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi jhowell65X,

Thanks for your sharing.

Since you have found the solution, please mark the reply as answer.

It will be helpful to others.

Best Regards,

CY    

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:59 AM