none
Server 2016 Standard with Essentials role - AND RDS Licensing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Server with Server 2016 Standard installed with the Essentials Role, I also have 5 RDS licenses. Can I enable RDS licensing on this server and activate the5 licenses for RDS to work without breaking RWW?

I can't find a definitive answer.

Thank you

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:07 PM

All replies

• The Windows Server Essentials Experience (WSEE) server role is NOT compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS). Installing RDS on an Essentials server will cause you nothing but grief in the long run. If you want to use RDS (RemoteApps, etc.), then set up a completely separate application server for that purpose. Otherwise, if you're simply looking to use RemoteApps with an Essentials server, then check out the popular "WSE RemoteApp 2016" Essentials add-in.
    • Edited by TheOfficeMaven Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:37 PM corrected typo
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:37 PM
  • HI
    Can I enable RDS licensing on this server and activate the5 licenses for RDS to work without breaking RWW?
    1 do you want to install RDsession host role and RD licensing role on Server 2016 Standard( with the Essentials Role)?
     It is strongly recommended that we don't install RDsession host role on Server 2016 Standard( with the Essentials Role).so we need a seperate member server to act as session host server.
    2 or do you only want to install  RD licensing role on Server 2016 Standard (with the Essentials Role) ?
    yes,we can try to install RD licensing role on Server 2016 Standard (with the Essentials Role),Meanwhile we must use RDS cals for RWA role on Server 2016 Standard (with the Essentials Role).There are no free  rds cal  for Server 2016 Standard ,because Server 2016 Standard version is different from server 2016 essential version.
    Best practice for installing RD licensing role on DC
    "The computer account for the license server must be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group in AD DS. If the license server is installed on a domain controller, the Network Service account must also be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group"
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2473823/best-practices-for-setting-up-remote-desktop-licensing-terminal-server 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:07 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:58 AM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:57 AM
  • HI
    If the answer is helpful for you ,could you help me to mark as answer. Microsoft values your comments, thanks for your cooperation. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, December 6, 2019 6:10 AM