none
restoring IE favorites from favorites folder on c-drive

Question

• I had to restore my Sony Vaio from factory settings and now would like to restore my Internet Explorer 8 favorites list from a folder on my c-drive.

I tried following instructions under favorites/import and export/import from a file/favorites but get an error when I try to run the process:  Please enter a valid file name.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'd rather not set up each one separately again (it's a long list).

Thanks

Serena

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Serena,

assuming you are using IE8 on vista or Windows 7, your Favorites Folder is located in c:\Users\{your username}\Favorites...

(before you start, close all IE Windows... this will make the copying of your favorites faster and reduce screen flickering)... anyway...

First open up two Windows Explorer Windows (double-click the Folder icon on your taskbar)

In the first windows explorer window navigate to the folder on the c: drive where you have placed your Favorites backup... select the Folder named "Favorites" (you may have put it below another folder ie. Favorites Backup\Favorites....) and right click to display the Context menu and select Copy...

then

In the second Windows Explorer Window navigate to your c:\Users\{your username} folder

(not the existing Favorites folder, but one level up) and select it (click on it)...

Then right click on the selected folder and select 'Paste' from the context menu....

You should see a message to the effect "Do you want over-write the existing Favorites folder"....

choose yes...(to all)

You should see the file copy animation.....

When the copy has been completed, go to the second Window and now click on the copied 'Favorites' folder (c:\users\{your username}\Favorites

then right-click and this time select 'Properties' from the context menu... uncheck the read-only check box and press the Apply button....

When that has finished open up Internet Explorer and you should see that your Favorites backup has been restored.

Post back for different instructions if you are using XP.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

You’d better copy the favorites from its directory. Following is the directory of favorites.
    C:\Users\username\ favorites

Since you had restore you system from factory settings, please update the patches for Internet Explorer 8.
    Also, you could cover the current favorites folder with your previous copy. If not, please try to export one favorites file.  Then copy the codes except the head of it from your source file and cover the export one. At last, please import it.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Serena,

assuming you are using IE8 on vista or Windows 7, your Favorites Folder is located in c:\Users\{your username}\Favorites...

(before you start, close all IE Windows... this will make the copying of your favorites faster and reduce screen flickering)... anyway...

First open up two Windows Explorer Windows (double-click the Folder icon on your taskbar)

In the first windows explorer window navigate to the folder on the c: drive where you have placed your Favorites backup... select the Folder named "Favorites" (you may have put it below another folder ie. Favorites Backup\Favorites....) and right click to display the Context menu and select Copy...

then

In the second Windows Explorer Window navigate to your c:\Users\{your username} folder

(not the existing Favorites folder, but one level up) and select it (click on it)...

Then right click on the selected folder and select 'Paste' from the context menu....

You should see a message to the effect "Do you want over-write the existing Favorites folder"....

choose yes...(to all)

You should see the file copy animation.....

When the copy has been completed, go to the second Window and now click on the copied 'Favorites' folder (c:\users\{your username}\Favorites

then right-click and this time select 'Properties' from the context menu... uncheck the read-only check box and press the Apply button....

When that has finished open up Internet Explorer and you should see that your Favorites backup has been restored.

Post back for different instructions if you are using XP.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

You’d better copy the favorites from its directory. Following is the directory of favorites.
    C:\Users\username\ favorites

Since you had restore you system from factory settings, please update the patches for Internet Explorer 8.
    Also, you could cover the current favorites folder with your previous copy. If not, please try to export one favorites file.  Then copy the codes except the head of it from your source file and cover the export one. At last, please import it.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Rob,

You are a genius!  I had tried everything to restore my favorites (that I accidently deleted) and I was about to give up until I stumbled upon your remedy.  It worked and I am so relieved! 

Thank you!!!

Shelly

Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:15 PM