none
Search Shapes Returns "No Matches" RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visio from the Office 365 portal, signed in etc - however I've not been able to get the 'search shapes' feature to work. The 'local' results always return 'no matches'.

The first thing I did was rebuild the search index and ensure the Visio stencil location was listed in the index location ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Visio Content\1033" in my case).

I searched for 'Cat' in file explorer, and it returned the animals stencil file.

I then tried the same search in Visio and it returned 'no matches'.

I've also tried completely uninstalling Visio and reinstalling it. I've tried downloading new stencils from the 'online' search etc - but have not been able to search 'locally'.

This is very frustrating as I'm having difficulty finding the shapes I want - any ideas?

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi BrettC,

Please open Visio, search for "Circle" in search field, confirm if there is any shapes returned in Local.

If you download any new stencils for Visio using, you can place the stencil files in the following path:
    C:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Shapes

Then you can open and search these shapes in Visio from Local.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on the issue? Have you tried the suggestion above?

Feel free to let us know if you need any further help.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the reply above is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi BrettC,

Please open Visio, search for "Circle" in search field, confirm if there is any shapes returned in Local.

If you download any new stencils for Visio using, you can place the stencil files in the following path:
    C:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Shapes

Then you can open and search these shapes in Visio from Local.

I can confirm, there are no shapes returned in local when I search for 'circle'.

When I download new stencils, they are added to the 'My Shapes' folder automatically. Even though they are there, they cannot be searched in Visio - it still returns as 'No Matches'.

Thanks

Friday, March 22, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Also, I have completely reimaged my PC and it still does not work.
    Friday, March 22, 2019 1:34 PM
  • I have the exact same problem on Visio 2016 running on Windows 10.  I've tried all the suggestions above on my Windows 10 laptop and no shapes are found.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:52 PM