Completely disable accelerators feature in IE 8

Question

• I don't want to see a blue arrow when I highlight text in IE8.  How can I make that happen?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,

For your current situation, if you really want to disable the accelerators feature in IE 8, please perform the following steps.

1. Start Internet Explorer 8.

2. Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

3. Then uncheck the box for Display Accelerator button on selection, under Browsing.

4. Click Apply and OK.

Cheers.

Andy

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

For your current situation, if you really want to disable the accelerators feature in IE 8, please perform the following steps.

1. Start Internet Explorer 8.

2. Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

3. Then uncheck the box for Display Accelerator button on selection, under Browsing.

4. Click Apply and OK.

Cheers.

Andy

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Hey Andy THX A BUNCH!
    Sunday, May 03, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Yeaahhh!!! Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:10 AM
  • yeah!!! I don't want to be forced to see that distracting blue arrow too. I think this kind of resource should not be ON by default. by the way, I figured that the accelerators are still active, you simply have to highlight text, and click over it with the right-mouse-button, then choose ACCELERATORS. much more simple and mess-free.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  It's obvious enough if you go to the Internet Option menu, but why isn't the ability to completely disable the feature in with all the other configuration option in the right-click menu of the blue arrow.

It just seems intentionally (although very slightly) more difficult to disable than it should be.  From a usability and user interface perspective I think it's a poor decision to not have it there.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeffrey K Ward Friday, August 28, 2009 9:17 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I just came here to say thank god google and thank god ppl like Andy.
    Thanks.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:13 PM
  • I found this link as how to completely disable the accelerators.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1020-internet-explorer-enable-disable-accelerator-add-ons.html

The answer above seems to only remove the arrow, not disable the feature.  It is the 7-10-09 entry on th page.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Thank You Andy Song. That check box can be easily overlooked, I also went to manage accelorators and deleted them. I see no practical use for this feature. This is one of the reasons I kept IE7 on my other 7 computers.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Thanks, Andy........
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Thanks.

The blue (oversized) arrow is very annoying.

Also very annoying that Microsoft after 10+ years has not followed through on the promise of a consistent Windows GUI - where right-clicking an object should bring up all properties/actions possible to do with that object (yes I'm talking about the (oversized) accelerator-icon that is just a plain nuisance)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:38 PM
  • I just came here to say thank god google and thank god ppl like Andy.
    Thanks.

Seconded! Incidentally i just found out how to turn the search providers off too

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/20/how-to-disable-remove-or-hide-ie8-search-box/
    it full on works

crazy helpful, much love internet

thanks!

EDIT> bump. oops just read the date
    • Edited by Wild_Westy Monday, October 26, 2009 11:22 AM asking dumb questions before reading it properly
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Thanks a ton Andy! I absolutely hated this 'feature'...
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Yeah, I thought I disabled accelerators when I unchecked the option during setup. But the blue button was still there! Annoying...
    Monday, June 21, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Sorry but this disables the highlight. I want the tool gone all together. Is it possible?

Monday, July 05, 2010 12:33 AM