none
IE 10 not working in "Metro"...desktop works fine

Question

• Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit, with all patches through December, running on Lenove X200T...IE 10 working fine on the desktop, but not at all in Metro/Modern/Windows 8Store/whatever version. It simply does not open a window when I select it...Task Manager does not show any IE running. All works perfectly well in the desktop.

It was running prior to the December patches, which sort of points to the issue, but I would rather not remove a security patch...not that fond of browsing in that version anyway.

Has anyone else noticed this issue, and if so, is there a resolution.

Regards,

John

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

First, you can check whether system restore could help.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to reset internet explorer settings to its default settings:

1). Open Internet Explorer.

2). Click the Tools button or press Alt key + X, and then click Internet Options.

3). Under Advanced tab, click on Reset.

4). Check the Delete personal settings box.

5). Click on Reset and then Close.

6). Close all open Internet explorer windows and re-open it.

7. Test the issue.

Note
    : The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Also, you can check the following thread:

IE Metro it's not working... why?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10_cp-windows_cp/ie-metro-its-not-working-why/11ab45c7-67f6-4023-af51-4b683f6e4614

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Vincent,

Thanks. I will take a look at that thread and see if anything is similar. Just thought I would point out this curiosity...the icon for IE on the start screen is a noticeably different shade of blue from the others.

-John

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi John,

I would like to check how’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Vincent,

Thanks, and Happy Holidays. Things are still as they were, with the browser not working in the Metro environment. Resetting things in IE did not seem to have any affect.

I do not have any other browsers installed. The default browser was set to be "Current", which should have implied IE as it was the lone installed version...I switched the setting to explicitly be IE.

I am not keen to do a refresh, as I have Visual Studio 2012 Pro, Office 2010 Enterprise, Live Essentials and SQL Server Express 2012 installed on the machine and all of that will have to be reinstalled and re-patched. Quite frankly, I could care less if the Metro apps remain or not...reinstalling them is not a huge issue and I do not use them that much as they are sort of limited in functionality (...heck, the mail app is not as functional as the Outlook.com web interface.)

Cheers,

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Hi John,

As far as I know, Windows 8 refresh action can refresh PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings. Just the apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled.

Meanwhile, I suggest you can try to perform a system restore to check whether IE will work.

More information about refresh: How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Vincent,

"...Just the apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled." is sort of the issue. I really could care less about these apps, they are just throwaways to me. None of them provide any real benefit in usability of functionality over similar desktop applications, or even web applications. The Mail application is not even as useful as Outlook.com, and both are lacking when compared to Live Mail or Outlook.

The applications I care about are the non-windows store applications that will be lost. Each of these is a fairly significant install from a time perspective, and some require that I re-apply patches. I work in SQL Server, Visual Studio, and Office.

Cheers,

John

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Well, the issue is profile related.

Rebuilt the computer to resolve a separate issue, then restored files from WET tool, and re-installed Office 2010, Visual Studio 2012, and SQL Server Express 2012...then applied the myriad patches, and roughly twelve hours later, everything was back in place and the other problem was resolved. This one came back with the WET tool restore. A different user account does not have the same issue.

Any ideas regarding HKCU keys that might be involved in this?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:17 PM
  • it worked :)
    thank you
    I tried some advices from other sites and none of them worked :P

bt this one worked :)

• Edited by nebin Saturday, June 08, 2013 3:51 AM
    Saturday, June 08, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Does your other Metro apps work? If not, it is a resolution problem. Not all resolutions are supported by Windows 8's Metro Apps.
    Saturday, June 08, 2013 4:44 AM
  • In the end, I think that it is an issue with screen resolution. The computer in question is a Lenovo x200t tablet and the screen resolution is 1280 x 800, which is below the 1366 x 768 required for modern apps.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2015 9:20 PM