none
Which download of Explorer for Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be getting ambiguous answers concerning which version of Internet Explorer to download for Windows OS 8.1.  I currently have Internet Explorer 10 with Windows 8.1 but I want to download some tax software and its site is telling me I need to upgrade my Internet Explorer to download the tax program. So, I am wondering:

1. Which version of Internet Explorer should I have running and can I run Internet Explorer 11 with Windows 8.1?

2. Assuming I can run IE 11 with Windows 8.1, can I get away with just downloading an update that will upgrade my IE 10 to IE 11?

3. Assuming I successfully download IE 11, will there be Service Packs to download at that point?

Thanks!

DBeau

Friday, March 30, 2018 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi emerdave,

You can download IE 11 for Windows 8.1 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40854

You don't have to apply any other service packs after it's installed.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Simon.Rech Friday, March 30, 2018 4:31 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 4:31 PM
  • currently have Internet Explorer 10 with Windows 8.1

but I want to download some tax software and its site is telling me I need to upgrade my Internet Explorer to download the tax program. So, I am wondering:

If you have W8.1 you have IE11 as its base level of browsing functionality.  Most likely your tax package is confused by the IE11 User-Agent string.  You can use the Developer Tools Emulation tab to try to use an IE10 UAS (for example) if that would help change your symptom.  Don't try to install IE11 because it will be older than what you already have.

Another possibility would be that you are using Compatibility view for all sites, so press Alt-x b and find out if that is your case.  It is also possible using the Developer Tools, Network tab to find out what the User-Agent string being used really is by examining Request headers.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:39 PM
    Answerer