none
Is Hyper-V Needed on Single User System? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Again,

Thanks for the replies!  I did not think so, but, wanted to be sure.

Regards,

Ed L

Hi,

Is there any reason to install Hyper-V on a single user system that has 3 logins?  Note: I have

and use three different logins on the same system.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ed L

• Edited by ebl4 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:41 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you're asking about remote desktop? Unless you plan to build and deploy some virtual machines then there no need for Hyper-V

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Technet.

Hyper-V is Microsoft's hardware virtualization product. It lets you create and run a software version of a computer, called a virtual machine. Each virtual machine acts like a complete computer, running an operating system and programs.

According to your description, RDP(Remote Desktop) is more suitable for you.

You can refer this article about how to connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17463/windows-7-connect-to-another-computer-remote-desktop-connection  

You can follow this article about how to setup simultaneous Remote login for multiple users. According to your description, you have 3 logins, you can set maximum connections allowed for remote login as 3 or more.

https://community.dynamics.com/365/b/dynamics365enterprisecloudfronts/posts/setup-simultaneous-remote-login-for-multiple-users  

Please feel free to let me know if you need any assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:14 PM
  • The number of local logins is mutually exclusive from installing Hyper-v, and using hyper-v is dependent on you needs. In any of your logins you may install hyper-v, assuming the login has local admin authority to install it, and then you can learn about hyper-v virtual machines. If you have no need for creating and managing virtual machines, then the answer is likely “there is no need to install Hyper-V.” As another responder suggested, if your need is for Remote Desktop connections, then what you may be needing is RDP (mstsc.exe) which I think is available on all versions of windows 10 (Home, Pro, and Pro for Workstations, Enterprise, etc.); RDP is already installed. Search for either “mstsc” or “Remote Desktop” and you should find that; search RDP in Bing or another search tool for how to use it. Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:42 PM
  • Hi

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using other’s reply, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Eric

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:16 PM