none
ieframe.dll regsvr32 error 80004001

Question

• I just restored an HP G60 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32-bit from its factory restore partition, installed all MS updates, and am once again getting the 'unable to load webpage' error in IE9 related to ieframe.dll.  Ieframe.dll will still not register using regsvr32 in a cmd prompt as administrator.  This error is why I did a complete factory restore since I thought the laptop had been hit with malware, which no longer looks like the case.

My customer no longer wants this troubleshot and has agreed to just use Firefox and avoid IE9.  I could take the laptop back to IE8, but don't want to do that since MS update will keep offering IE9 anyway.

Even when running IE9 with no add-ons it still gets the ieframe error when it tries to reload the page (google.com set as homepage):  res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#google.com,http://www.google.com/

After doing the initial Vista restore and installing IE9 and Vista SP2, but before completing ALL MS updates, IE9 worked ok.  Then today, after all MS updates loaded, IE9 started again with the ieframe errors and ieframe.dll won't register and gives:  'regsvr32':  The module "ieframe.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with 0x80004001.

Since the customer won't tolerate any more troubleshooting on it, there's no way to try other fixes.  I'm just reporting it in the hopes that someone else will chime in or MS will pick up on it and find a fix.  I tried the troubleshooting found in the other forum post regarging this same problem, but it either didn't apply or didn't work.

Very frustrating...

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:16 PM

Answers

• Mea culpa...

Went back into Windows Update and enabled it to update all Microsoft products, not just Windows.  It then found a bunch of Important updates.  Loaded them, then IE9 started working properly.  (Didn't re-test registering ieframe.dll before giving laptop back to client, but I assume it's probably also working now.)

Paul Woods Woods Systems Englewood, CO (US)
    • Marked as answer by Paul7 Friday, June 10, 2011 12:03 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:02 AM

All replies

• Additional info:  before doing the factory resotre, I tried going back to IE8.  IE8 worked fine, but then, after re-installing IE9, the 'res://ieframe.dll...' error resurfaced.  I then did the factory restore.  This was true for running IE9 with no add-ons and wouldn't load any webpages (google.com, msn.com, etc.).  And ieframe.dll wouldn't register when running cmd as admin..

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Mea culpa...

Went back into Windows Update and enabled it to update all Microsoft products, not just Windows.  It then found a bunch of Important updates.  Loaded them, then IE9 started working properly.  (Didn't re-test registering ieframe.dll before giving laptop back to client, but I assume it's probably also working now.)

• Marked as answer by Paul7 Friday, June 10, 2011 12:03 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Pual7

I have t he same problem with Windows 7 Home edition. I've tried all the fixes you have tried as well as several others. You'd think Microsoft would have a fix for this by now as I've seen this problem on forums going back to 1997. I tried updating IE 7 to 8, to 9, and then 10 and still get the problem. If I were more familiar with the Registry I believe it could be fixed. Someone out there please help!!!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Ieframe.dll will still not register using regsvr32 in a cmd prompt as administrator.

That's normal now.  Security/obscurity.   However, you can still use  IEFrame's  DllInstall...

regsvr32.exe  /n  /i   ieframe.dll

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert,

I executed your command successfully, but we are still seeing the problem trying to print in IE. Other applications can print with no problem.

Using IE 10, Windows 7 SP1 with all patches applied. What else can we try?

Thanks.

Radu

Radu P.

Monday, April 1, 2013 3:26 AM
  • still seeing the problem trying to print in IE

This thread has not been about printing problems with IE.   That is a FAQ.   See  

Unable to print or view the print preview of a webpage in Internet Explorer

(Microsoft search for
        printing  problems "internet explorer" site:support.microsoft.com
    )

Another suggestion would be to print to a virtual printer, XPS Document Writer, and then print the resulting .xps file.

If you need more help it would undoubtedly help avoid confusing this thread if you would open your own thread with your own details.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 1, 2013 5:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Correct. However, I got the 80004001 error while trying to reload the ieframe.dll, as advised on several MS forums to resolve when IE runs this script and prevents printing. Which sent me to this forum where at least with your commands I am able to reload this dll, which doesn't solve my problem.

Thanks.

Radu P.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Correct. However, I got the 80004001 error while trying to reload the ieframe.dll, as advised on several MS forums to resolve when IE runs this script and prevents printing. Which sent me to this forum where at least with your commands I am able to reload this dll, which doesn't solve my problem.

Thanks.

Radu P.

Getting the same issue, I got this error while trying to fix the DLL and it brought me here. My case is related to none printing in IE10 and the advice on the link for not able to print does not help
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:37 PM
  • My case is related to none printing in IE10 and the advice on the link for not able to print does not help

Again, it would be best if you opened your own incident in your own thread to avoid confusing this one any more.

As I mentioned, an omission in the KB article I cited would be to use a virtual printer, e.g. XPS.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:20 PM
    Answerer