IE 7 memory leak

General discussion

• I notice that IE accumulates quite a lot of memory after I use it for some time and occasionally crashes without giving me the opportunity to send debug info to MS. I try to keep away from add-ons, e.g. I have just a couple from Adobe, one from Sun and the rest few are MS. My OS is XP Pro even though I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the issue.

Right now, after closing all extra tabs and leaving only this page in the browser, the task manager reports for iexplore.exe

Mem Usage:   126 MB

VM Size:          249 MB

Threads:          45

Handles:          2,304

GDI Objects:   1,956

I don’t know whether MS pays attention to this forum but this should be fixed.

I wonder how many of you can reproduce this effect - e.g. close all browsers, open IE and the Task Manager and write down the memory information. Then search Google for something (after that you can write down the memory info again) and start bringing the result links into new tabs. Once you have 20 - 30, go inside those tabs and try to open any links into new tabs and then close those new tabs to keep the count reasonable. Remember to visit the MS live search and the mail.live.com web sites (you should have a passport id). After playing like that fro 30 min and visiting let's say 300 pages, bring up the Task Manager again and see what happened to the memory. I bet you’ll see quite a difference.

Friday, August 31, 2007 6:41 PM

All replies

• I have noticed this ever since I started using IE7 in both XP and Vista on every PC I've ever used IE7 on).  It seems to have something to do with the tabs.  If you create a new tab iexplorer.exe allocates about 900kb, however when you close the tab, that memory is not freed.  If you then create another tab and additional 900kb is added.  Every time a tab is created and destroyed almost a MB is added to the program.  I use extensive use of tabs.  After a day of browsing I can have 150-500MB allocated to IE7, and I've seen as high as 1000MB!! (after leaving IE running for weeks on end while frequently using tabs)  As soon as you close the browser this memory is freed.

Like I said, this is something I noticed since I first started using this (early Vista Release Candidates), and none of the updates have ever addressed this problem.

Ryan.

Monday, September 03, 2007 10:28 PM
  • I am having the same problem since going to v7 on XP and Vista. I also have a problem where if I leave the browser open overnight, the memory slowly creeps up. The other thing that I notice is that over time, IE starts to use more and more CPU over time (Probably because of swapping). This trend is particulariy noticeable on my laptop as the fan turns on which is my trigger to restart IE. I find these behaviors are in both Vista and XP.

I would also like to note that I never experienced this behaviour with IE 6 and noticed it almost immediatly when I installed IE 7 on XP.

I have been watching over the last 4 months to see if anyone else is experiencing these problems. I am suprised that Microsoft has not done anything about this as I have had to go to Firefox on my less capable machines to rid myself of performance complaints from users.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:54 PM
  • I've been having this issue as well since the ie7 beta came out. In fact this issue was the entire reason I upgraded to Vista. I thought it was something wrong with my old XP installation. Needless to say I wasn't too happy when I finally figured out what was causing it (and still had the same issue on vista). 

It was reported during the beta (by several people I imagine) and they decided not to fix it.  I just decided that I've had enough and deleted the shortcuts to IE so I'll start using firefox instead.

This does a lot more than just screw up my web browser. It leaks GDI handles so that the entire OS stops functioning.  I cannot open any programs, I cannot right click on anything.  This is on a system with 4 gigs of RAM.  If I leave IE running for more than a couple days without restarting it I run smack into the problem every time. It has caused my outlook to randomly vanish from my screen and corrupt my PST file at least 4 times now.  I have to close IE every time just to get photoshop to start up.

I've seen my IE using as much as 12,000 handles at one time. It is really annoying to be in the middle of working on something with 4 or 5 tabs open and suddenly have the whole thing die on you.

It is nice to know I'm not the only person with this problem.  It is too bad they've ignored it thus far.
    Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:15 PM
  •  

I've been having this issue as well. This behavior isn't just related to tabs. It will also appear with the opening and closing of IE Windows. I've seen my IE memory usage climb from 120MB to 800MB from opening and closing IE Windows. As long as the iexplore.exe process is running, it will keep consuming more and more memory as you open and close both tabs and IE windows.

After a session of opening tabs/windows and then closing everything but a single IE window, the iexplore.exe process was still consuming over 800MB.

I wonder if this might be due to "temporary internet files" not only being written to disk, but also being kept in memory, on the off chance you might be opening related pages that use the same graphics or content.

It becomes really annoying at times. I've taken to keeping task manager open while using IE 7 so that I can monitor the iexplore.exe process. Once memory use gets over 400MB, I can often run into an issue where I can't open another tab/window and even if I close all my IE windows, the iexplore.exe process continues to run. I have to kill the process manually with "end task".

Once I do that I can re-open IE with no detrimental effects.

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:21 PM
  • I have the same problem. Memory usage of IE7 on Vista increases continuously until it starts bombarding me with random error messages. Finally, the browser crashes. When you manage a Website using your browser, this behavior makes IE7 barely usable since the error messages start after half an hour (at about 200 MBytes)!

I hope MS is doing something about this!

Sunday, November 04, 2007 11:53 AM
  • My machine is stronger, I can still use IE 7 until the memory usage goes up to 400-500M. Which happens in one day, I usually open up several sites to work on.

It is understandable if someone says too many tab will use more memory, or bad DOM etc., but the quesiton is when I do the same thing on FF, it seldom use over 100M. So I started to use FF to work on my site.

But now I have problem, I can use FF, but my client may not. The complain come in from my clients that they start to have memory problem once they start use the site.

It is understandable to have some kind of bugs in IE 7, but not sure why they never confirm it and never give instruction how to avoid it, many supporters just keep saying you have add-on etc. But I tested with a brand new VISTA and IE7, it happens!

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Same problem here. The handle problem is horrible. If I open IE7 and have many tabs, context menus stop opening, my other programs (i.e. Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop) stop working completely, or can't even start.

Does anyone know, has a bug report on this been filed and what's the status?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:07 AM
  •  AnzeVodovnik wrote:

Same problem here. The handle problem is horrible. If I open IE7 and have many tabs, context menus stop opening, my other programs (i.e. Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop) stop working completely, or can't even start.

Does anyone know, has a bug report on this been filed and what's the status?

I have some additional information about this.  They are certainly aware of it, BUT...

From what I can tell this problem is actually caused by add-ins loaded in IE. The way they implemented tabs in IE7 it creates a copy of every toolbar, etc for each tab, so if you've got a leaky toolbar installed it compounds the problem.  The MSN Live toolbar seems to be the biggest offender.  I think the google toolbar as well as the java plugin from SUN also cause the issue. 

Go into the add-on manager in IE and disable everything non-MS and I bet it goes away.  Unfortunately this still stinks.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:34 PM
  • I did that - while the situation improved to a certain extent, the issue is still there. I disabled all non-MS plug-ins, ActiveX and browser extensions, and even those non-essencial MS-ones. I started with IE with 30M RAM and 20M virtual and after opening up to 20 tabs at the same time and closing all but an empty one, IE ended up with 96M RAM and 87 virtual.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:48 PM
  • I've gone through and reset my IE settings to it's defaults from installation as well as only starting IE from the

"Internet Explorer (no add-ons)" icon in the system tools folder and I am still experiencing the same results. Each page I open, whether it be in a tab or a new window, eats up more and more memory. Closing these windows has no effect on reducing memory usage until I close the last IE window I have open. Sometimes I can't even do that and I have to use task manager to kill the IEXPLORE.EXE process to reclaim the memory and make my system usable again.

There are times when this problem will prevent me from using anything that starts the EXPLORER.EXE process as well (Windows Explore, Run, etc.). The only way to correct it is to kill the IEXPLORE.EXE process and everything returns to normal operation (until I start using IE extensively again)

This is rather annoying since when I am doing research, I tend to open pages in a new window/tab so that I don't lose my place in how I got to the information I am looking for.

I have had several occasions where IE starts acting up when it's using over 300MB, though the problem usually doesn't occur until IE is using 500-600MB. Sometimes I've seen IE using over 1.6GB!

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:58 PM
  •  

I've the same issue here, seen it on XP with IE6 and it's present on this quite fresh install of Vista 32 Ent (Core2D@2.4/2GB)

You get to a certain number of tabs and windows, and things start to go awry. Right-clicking brings up a menu with no text in it. Bits of windows start to go missing. New apps won't open.

The key seems to be GDI Objects (and/or User Objects).

Take the example I have now (only writing this because I killed a few MSTSC sessions)

Iexplore.exe - Working Set 309MB, Peak Set 317MB, Private 284MB, Commit 324MB, Handles 2801, User Objects 3797, GDI Objects 3797

No, it isn't a third-party ActiveX addin causing the issues, there aren't any loaded (only the factory MS ones).

Firefox will cause the same issue if you push it hard enough.

Also I am using dual monitors on an Nvidia card - having two monitors is rumoured to exacerbate the problem.

I haven't yet found any workaround other than to close application windows.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:11 AM
  • Me too!

No tabbed browsing enabled, never more than 10 IE7 windows open at the same time, no toolbars of any kind installed, no fancy add-ons apart from Windows Live and Skype maybe, still it happens consistently whichever the pages I browse, memory simply keeps going up until the whole system stops opening any new "window" including context menus, that is the typical behaviour of an out of memory system.

Killing IE from the task manager does the trick, but just because now I know about it and do it soon enough, otherwise I get a system so engulfed that nothing less than forcing a reboot works.

Btw, that is not the only weird thing happening. Sometimes (still don't get how to repro this) IE7 starts opening windows by itself at such a pace that it's impossible to close them even trying to keep ALT+F4 pressed. In that case a fast logout seems enough, if you manage to get to the logout dialog before the whole thing blows up I mean...

-LV

P.S. For some numbers, just tried a very simple test. While being on this page, I have opened 8 new windows via CTRL+N stopping navigation on each of them with ESC; then on each of them I have done the following: go to Google home; click the Language Tools link; from the Language Tools page click back the Google logo on the top left to go back to the home page; close the window. Repeat this for the 8 windows. When finished my iexplorer process memory has gone from 47MB to 57MB.

Friday, February 01, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Mine has the same problem. The memory usage usually starts at 58MB when I open IE 7. After a few minutes opening and closing tabs, it shoots up to over 400MB. After you have closed all the tabs, it never releases the  memory until I close IE.

As someone who heavily uses the Internet at home and work, I have to close all windows and open again every few minutes. Whether it is IE 7 or Add-ons, I believe Microsoft should address the issue because it is frustrating.

I found this I think is related:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=105535

Saturday, February 09, 2008 7:26 AM
  •  

This issue has been reported here for 7 months now.  How do we get Microsoft to acknowledge this issue?  Does Microsoft monitor this forum? 

I've only had my Vista system a week and this problem started immediatly.  I knew I should have stuck with XP.

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Hello Microsoft... Are u guys working on the solution or what? I've been monitoring this forum and particularly on this issue and nothing has came out from u guys!

Plz Plz Plz do something  about the ie7 memory leak issue!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

I too have this problem....  I am running a new Dell 1520, with a fresh install of Vista Basic (last format 3 days ago) and the only addon I use is the google tool bar.  I surf with many tabs open (3-20 at a time) and always use the right click "open new tab"  but this problem with IE7 is redicules....  After I get a few tabs open right click wont work anymore.  Like the others here, when I look at the Task manager  IE7 just eats up the memory......

MICROSOFT, FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Confirmation for the same problem IE7 32 bit on x64 Server 2008.

One day run and iexplore.exe*32 is up to 500+. Closing the tabs frees about 1/3 of memory....

This is annoying. Firefox memory caching sucks, IE memory caching seems to be good, but leaky....

I guess O is next.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:28 AM
  •  

I dont think they care - they are working on verision 8....

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Please see http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=cpu+usage+100%25  for Microsoft's hotfixes etc.. for this problem, they are aware of it

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:12 PM
  • I fail to see anything in the search page you provided that addresses this issue. If you found something that specifically references this issue, please post a link to that specific page.

The issue being experienced isn't related to CPU usage, but memory usage.

When this problem occurs, CPU usage (at least on my systems) appears to be normal, however, memory usage quickly climbs to over 1GB for the IEXPLORE.EXE process as windows open and close. Even if I close all my IE windows except for one, the memory usage remains at over 1GB until I close the last IE Window or end the IEXPLORE.EXE process.

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:44 PM
  • To add to it, and for FWIW, I must say that since the very first publicly available Microsoft updates (around February, IIRC), this problem (memory leaks in IE7) seems indeed to have been resolved.

-LV

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Please excuse my incredulity, but I've reproduced this problem on at least 50 different systems of various makes and models, all with the same results. I've even loaded systems clean with all available updates and no additional software with the same results. I've reproduced the problem both in XP and in Vista. I've tried using "Internet Explorer (No add-ons)" with the same results.

All the systems I've been working with have all the available updates from the Microsoft Updates website. If there are additional updates not included in the Microsoft Updates catalog that address this issue, I have yet to find them.

If you know of specific KB Articles that address this issue, please, point me in the right direction.

Sorry if I seem frustrated, but I keep hearing that the problem doesn't exist, or that it has been fixed, when I can still reproduce the problem at will, after trying all the fixes that have been suggested to me. This problem has not been fixed.

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:01 PM
  •  BomSquad wrote:

Please excuse my incredulity, but I've reproduced this problem on at least 50 different systems of various makes and models, all with the same results. I've even loaded systems clean with all available updates and no additional software with the same results. I've reproduced the problem both in XP and in Vista. I've tried using "Internet Explorer (No add-ons)" with the same results.

All the systems I've been working with have all the available updates from the Microsoft Updates website. If there are additional updates not included in the Microsoft Updates catalog that address this issue, I have yet to find them.

If you know of specific KB Articles that address this issue, please, point me in the right direction.

Sorry if I seem frustrated, but I keep hearing that the problem doesn't exist, or that it has been fixed, when I can still reproduce the problem at will, after trying all the fixes that have been suggested to me. This problem has not been fixed.

I am sorry mate, I should have been more precise myself. I very well believe you, but unfortunately don't know how to help as you seem to have done quite more extensive tests than I needed. So my post applies to *my machine only*, which is a Vista based Pavillion bought at the beginning of the year, the only machine so far where I have been using Vista and IE7; I hade BTW an IE7 recently on an XP based PC (my last contract), but I couldn't even notice the problem (maybe because I had plenty of RAM and no RAM monitor on the desktop?), anyway I was just using it to check cross-compatibility, so I don't really know about that...

In any case, my post was mostly meant in support of your post about the pure *noise* coming from people who do not even care to discern a subject line, least to provide any useful technical information.

For your case, I'd straight try Microsoft support, but please then come here and report back, as they are good at all but communication.

Cheers.

-LV

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Hello all, I found this forum after months of trying to fix this problem. I just can't understand it... it only seems like a few people are affected.

Here is my computer's important tech specs:

Dell XPS 420

4GB DDR RAM

Quad Core 2.8ghz processor.

You would really think that I'd run into memory issues, now would you? I have to restart my computer 3 times a day, because I gradually run out of memory. It affects my entire system. After running IE7 for several hours, I can't do as much as open a notepad .txt document! Some programs (Windows Mail, Adobe Fireworks, etc) give memory errors when you try to open them; Others just don't open at all, or only partially open (like a windows explorer window with empty contents). This is really driving me mad, as my whole livliehood depends on my computer work.

I only have one toolbar open with IE7, and that's google's toolbar that is "optimized" for IE7.

Anyone have any more ideas?

(and Microsoft, please get on this!)

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Memory leak -On my machine, IE7 was eating up to 500MB+ !!! in a very short time, with only 2 tabs open.

I'm on 24KBPS dialup ;( so it's not like there's alot of data being exchanged.

Anyway, I discovered a workaround (not a solution in my opinion) by un-enabling "enable third-party browser extensions" in -> 'Tools' --> 'Internet Options' --->'Advanced' tab ---->under 'Browsing' heading.

Now IE7 usually occupies only about 30KB.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:42 AM
  • I am going to try this workaround. In MY Task Manager, my iexplre.exe is eating up 84,580 k and EXPLORER.EXE is eating another 15,260k. My pc, while older, should NOT be this darn slow. I cannot get ANYTHING done because I sit and wait, sit and wait.... I just found this site because I am trying to find a way to take care of this and low and behold, i am glad to see that it isnt just me but on the other hand, what if anything is being done about it? (Sorry, i glanced over previous posts, not read them all).

um.....HELP?

electrosonic wrote:

Memory leak -On my machine, IE7 was eating up to 500MB+ !!! in a very short time, with only 2 tabs open.

I'm on 24KBPS dialup ;( so it's not like there's alot of data being exchanged.

Anyway, I discovered a workaround (not a solution in my opinion) by un-enabling "enable third-party browser extensions" in -> 'Tools' --> 'Internet Options' --->'Advanced' tab ---->under 'Browsing' heading.

Now IE7 usually occupies only about 30KB.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  

All,

Don't know if anyone is still getting the replies to this thread but if you are, I am working with MS right now on this issue.  We have found something interesting.  Turns out if you minimize the browser the garbage collector kicks in and frees up any memory that it needs to.  Can you please try minimizing your browsers when they big?  See if that helps.  Once I get an official word from MS on this I will update the thread.

Jason

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

I still check, and I'll test that tonight.

thanks for the tip Smile

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:09 PM
  •  

No, the problem still exists. I'm always minimzing the browsers I work with... that hardly makes any sense anyway???
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:22 AM
  • Yes, it works to a certain extent. It immediately releases most of the working memory, but the VM size remains the same.
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I should have been a little more clear on the releasing of the memory.  So far the test we have done have been on Windows XP SP2 with a cumulative hotfix on.  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e771efe8-8881-4f23-b5b0-15651a390ba9&DisplayLang=en

I run Vista and I did notice that it does not release the memory on my machine, but the XP machines do seem to work.  I am not too sure about the VM size.  Below is part of the email that the guy at MS sent me about the issue:

"When you open an IE browser, it allocates XXX memory for page cache. Each time you switch between pages, the system caches that page, in the event you want to return to it. This prevents it from having to download it every time (it just pulls it from cache). This feature speeds up the refresh rate of IE. When you minimize the page it effectively releases that cached memory (same thing happens when you close the browser). The memory cache is a set value and cannot be modified to increase its size. The workaround is for your customers to minimize (or close) their browser during the day, when it is not in use. They could also open a second browser (this creates a separate memory cache for that browser) and switch between them.

I confirmed with CPR that the behavior you are seeing is expected and due to the way that Internet Explorer is designed. Iexplore.exe doesn't release all objects associated with the child windows, and as a result the memory allocated for those objects, until the parent process is terminated. But still I will try to help you out."

I hope this helps explain a little more on what is happening.  It is sounding like there is not going to be a change made in IE7 to release the memory.  The MS guy did say that in IE8 that it does work the correct way.  We will have to wait and see on that one though. 

I will continue to post updates as I get them.  We are supposed to do somemore debugging to see where it is failing to release the memory and I will post those as I get them

Jason

Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I am running Vista and I'm still experiencing the issue. Until I close the IEXPLORE.EXE process, the memory is not freed.

And from what I can see, it seems that Microsoft is saying that it is operating as designed. Very poor planning on their part, IMHO.

I'll be interested to see if this is indeed fixed in IE8.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:20 PM
  • So I came across this problem here at work yesterday when a user told me that her computer came up with an "out of memory" error.  Upon checking to see if this was true I saw that iexplore.exe was taking up a whopping 1.7gb of RAM.  We've only got 2gb on that particular machine so it was really and truly out of memory!  Thankfully I stumbled upon this thread that describes my exact issue, and it seems that we have it tenfold here.  We run a refresher add-on that refreshes certain windows at different intervals since we constantly need updated traffic information.  We also have 3 monitors per workstation, and if what was said above is true then we've got two things working against us on this issue.  Minimizing the windows does definitely fix the problem temporarily, as the usage on a computer I just tested went from 1.4gb to 320mb by just minimizing the windows, but after about 10 minutes of normal operating usage it was back up to 800mb.  We at least have a temporary fix but I know from playing with IE8 here that Google maps is not friendly to IE8, and therefore we cannot use the beta here until the final build comes out and this issue is resolved.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hi, just to add that someone mentioned this problem was easy to reproduce on Ajax enabled web pages.

After thinking about it, I have realized that there might be a series of concurrent causes here, one being poor client-side coding related to the fact that the browser cannot garbage-collect if an object has been allocated in the context of a closure (think of objects going out of scope after you have registered events for them), in conjunction with the fact that the browser, at least up to IE6 and FX102 as far as my tests went, in that case seems not to be able to garbage-collect even in case you change page.

To solve the problem in some code I had written, I found that assigning null to said objects was indeed enough to solve any problem. Check my web site for two significant examples of this, one being the TicTacToe game and another one being a Fractal-Cartoons sample. Within the HTML page itself, you'll find my init/finish code that *did* solve all the leaks in those little applications.

Bottom line, we might here be facing the unconfortable incovenient of browsers being more and more conformant, while web pages are still not at all, although Ajax and related techniques become more and more widespread.

Anyway, hope this can give some more hints as to what to check for.

-LV

P.S. To the less technical user: please note that IE7 eating up quite a bit of memory (although things have dramatically improved after the various MS updates) is *not* the same as a leak, that is memory never or at least not completely released.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Is there anything else that we can do other than the minimizing trick?  It's not conducive to work to have to end the iexplore.exe process during the middle of the day just to keep working.  Would rolling back to IE6 fix this issue?
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  Gwanatu wrote:
    Is there anything else that we can do other than the minimizing trick?  It's not conducive to work to have to end the iexplore.exe process during the middle of the day just to keep working.  Would rolling back to IE6 fix this issue?

If you're asking me, well not that I am aware of, the best thing being, as you say, to kill the iexplorer process.

Unfortunately, but I have not checked this, this problem should stay the same within all current browsers, at least as far as they are not even able to force garbage collection at page switching, because the underlying deep problem is with lost references and orphaned objects.

Hmm, the only thing I could maybe add is: if the web page has been coded internally, then just fix it; if the web page comes from a payed service, then complain with the provider, possibly pointing out where the problem is (provided that you have ascertained where it is[, or you risk to run into an endless fight where /Microsoft/ is finally to blame for anything that goes wrong...]); otherwise, the only other option for a web page you use very very often might be "wrapping" it someway. I'm afraid not more than that is possible at the moment. This seems to be a limitation/leak intrinsic to the browsers themselves... unless we wanna blame web programmers, which I wouldn't find so unreasonable after all: it's 2008, and we should start treating web programming as real programming, otherwise Web 2 is gonna be just a joke.

Just my 2c anyway.

-LV

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Thanks loads for the IE solution for now! I disabled a few addins without much change but when I 'clicked' on the minimize button task manager showed that memory usage had dropped from 93M to 4M instantaneously. The window was brought right back up with the ALT+TAB keystroke.

I find that a minor inconvenience under the circumstances (of MicroSoft) for now. Of course I would like not having to go through this at all.

FYI: Here is a question/observation .... The memory release doesn't work with the Windows minimize keystroke. Closed all other applications and tried the keystroke, brought task manager back up and the memory usage didn't change. I'm not that adept on the difference in the program code but I am curious why one method works and the other doesn't?

Thanks again

Ralph

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:51 AM
  • thanks for the tip.  Seems to have resolved my issue.  I can see that my memory usage has noticbly decreased.

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:50 PM
  • hi. it sounds like a problem I have, but not only with IE. Actually, I wrote an application (.net) that is responsable for monitoring and minimizing 2 others (native). When I click the minimize button by my self, the apps memory is released, but when my app minimize them (via windows API, ShowWindow method), the amount of used memory keeps the same.
     Does anyone has any ideia about what's going on? thanks. [sorry for any possible english mistake]
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Alright well it seems we've boiled it down to a set of 3 pages that display different information, all of which use Java (the Java console pops up in the task tray when you load these pages).  Loading these in Firefox 2 seems to completely remove the memory leak issue.
    Monday, June 09, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your comping close to a potential solution but  have the same problem that everybody here has described but I use Firefox and it still happens.  I have a Dell Latitude D630.  Even with "nothing" running, the memory creeps up and then I get the "Memory Low" messages and ultimately have to hard reboot.   When I boot up, I am at 36% usage.  After opening MS Outlook and Firefox, it hovers around 48% for awhile.  It seems on my PC that MS Outlook is the hog.  After two hours, the memory utilization was at 93% and I didn't have a lot going on in terms of open windows, etc.  I closed MS OUtlook and it only dropped to 88% but then it started climbing again.  I closed Firefox.  No real impact.  The memory crept up to 96% with nothing running other thant AVG (background virus).  Computer then ceased to work to I had to reboot.   I am surprised to see Microsoft so unresponsive and so many people having the same problem.   I have never had this problem with any of my systems but this is the first time I have ever used Windows Vista.  I am interested in any solutions you all find out. 

Monday, July 07, 2008 4:14 PM
  •  jaboes wrote:

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your comping close to a potential solution but  have the same problem that everybody here has described but I use Firefox and it still happens.  I have a Dell Latitude D630.  Even with "nothing" running, the memory creeps up and then I get the "Memory Low" messages and ultimately have to hard reboot.   When I boot up, I am at 36% usage.  After opening MS Outlook and Firefox, it hovers around 48% for awhile.  It seems on my PC that MS Outlook is the hog.  After two hours, the memory utilization was at 93% and I didn't have a lot going on in terms of open windows, etc.  I closed MS OUtlook and it only dropped to 88% but then it started climbing again.  I closed Firefox.  No real impact.  The memory crept up to 96% with nothing running other thant AVG (background virus).  Computer then ceased to work to I had to reboot.   I am surprised to see Microsoft so unresponsive and so many people having the same problem.   I have never had this problem with any of my systems but this is the first time I have ever used Windows Vista.  I am interested in any solutions you all find out. 

Sorry to hear that.  My solution definitely worked for me, as it's been a while now and we've not once had a repeat of the problem.  It was only 1 web page that was triggering the issue and for whatever reason Firefox doesn't have the memory leak issue that IE6/7 has with this site.  It's unfortunate but it seems that it's entirely dependent on the scenario.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi, Likewise I have trouble with XP Pro sp2 on a variety on PCs at home and work.  When I minimize ie, memory does go down, and performance does improve.  I did not disable any of my many plugins to do this, and I do have sun java 1.6 n 1.7 everywhere.  Are we looking in the wrong place?  Is it something to do with XP and Vista?

Monday, August 04, 2008 12:19 AM
  • I am also having this issue w/ Vista and IE7.

The thing I find that is odd... I'll see memory usage from iexplore.exe run up to like 800mb or so, I'll still have a gig or so of physical memory available, but IE will all of a sudden stop opening new tabs/windows, and when I try opening a new email message from my work exchange server via IE it will even explicitly give an error that i am "out of memory".

I don't get it, but I haven't see memory management worse than this in a *long* time.

Any updates on a potential fix?

Monday, August 11, 2008 2:01 PM
  •  

Unfortunately, I've tried all the suggested fixes in this thread at one time or another without success. I first reported this issue back in October of 2007. It seems that once IE reaches 1/4 to 1/3 of the system's total memory, you start getting the "issue". I've been able to recreate this consistantly on every Windows system I've used. I've tried XP and Vista. I've tried patched and unpatched. I've tried just about every iteration of Windows system I can think of with the same results.

I can only conclude that the problem is in IE7 itself. The problem is most evident in Vista, but it will occur in XP as well.

You can always do like I do, and constantly keep the task manager open so you can kill the iexplore.exe process when it starts acting up. Once you do that, you can reopen IE7 and it will work normally until the next time it fills up the memory....it's only a matter of time. Sad

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Wow folks...I have not seen this issue...ever.  I can certainly understand that this is a frustrating problem for those of you that are experiencing this problem.

A group at work has reported what they believe is a similiar problem and they designed/support a heavy AJAX-based type of application with tons-o-client side script and they pointed me to this link.  Before I even read these posts my suggestion to them was to "null" (JavaScript, etc.) our or set to "Nothing" (VBScript) all object references they might have.  Apparently this is currently not being done conistently...their analysis is still ongoing and the initial report was they they weren't.

After reading through about 40 posts some of you have mentioned behavior that presents itself to me as malware or adware chewing you up.  There was at least one post where it was mentioned that some odd behavior was that IE7 was just spawning multiple windows in a very fast fashion without any prompting from the end user...that's a common adware trick to generate traffic to sites where there is commission involved for the referring party.  This can even be done in the background without a window even being displayed.

Some have said that they see the same thing with Firefox...again...this smells like adware or sites that are crawling with bad client side code that is downloaded to you...you'd likely see the same with Opera or Safari in that case.

Do you see this behavior when you have your pop-up blocker set?  Have you flushed your browser cach recently and set it to less than 100 MB?  Do you have your browser setting to check for as new page on every visit instead of going to the cache...if I recall a large cache is can cause iexplore.exe to use more memory (not the size of the cache...just the index.)

I have several internal sites up that are refreshing their respective "tabs" every few minutes all day long and I leave these sites up and running for 12+ hours at a time...my iexplore.exe process (according to Process Explorer) never goes over 130 MB during the day with these four or five tabs pinging multiple sites.  I also have external sites open in other iexplore.exe processes.  A typical day for me will have about 25 tabs going at any given time across six or seven iexplore.exe instances and many of these stay active and in a window for many hours at a time.

The fact that many of you are reporting many thousands, or even over 10,000+ handles being used by a single iexplore.exe process also is indicative of either bad client side code, malware, adware, or a combination of all three.  Mine seem to stay within 800 - 1,300 handles per iexplore.exe process...it seems large, but not out of the ordinary for a 32-bit OS.  The number of active threads per iexpelore.exe seem to float around 30 - 75.

Fortunately for me I can't seem to repro the exact problem as it has been reported by many of you.  I've got a Vista Business 32-bit OS and IE7.  I've also tried to do this on an XP Pro Tablet with IE7 and a Win2K3 x64 server, but only on Tablet PC can I get an iexplore.exe process to bump over 180 MB, but nothing like the hundreds of MB that has been reported.

Regardless, this forum has helped me be aware of a possible issue now and might further confirm my concerns about poorly written/code/designed Web 2.0 types of applications.  As I stated earlier I'm assisting another group at work currently on this and if we find a resolution or the root cause then I'll be sure to post back here.

Thanks for the information many of you have provided.

Cheers....

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Dear TheMajorPayne,
    I write this post because '...After reading through about 40 posts...' you concluded that this is an 'malware' problem.
    This is not a malware problem for sure, and I’m surprised that i cannot find in the web, more info or complains about this!!
    This happens, not when you just have 10 or more tabs open in IE.
    When i use google for searching, i usually open the most 10-15 relevant sites and if i don’t find the info i want, i repeat the search. After 3-4 searches like this, IE uses a lot of memory and mainly GDO objects, (!!! miscrosoft don't use their programming guidelines?) and after that crashes (no context menus, applications failed to start e.t.c.).
    This happens in Firefox2 also (needs more tabs and time to occur), but in the new release (3) they have fix this, or at least improve a lot!

This is not related with ajax, client side calls, NET or any web site development related issue. It is an IE issue for sure. Reproduced in XP, in Vista, with clean or not installations.... always the same behavior.
    Microsoft needs to provide better products. They gave us tabs in browser after all competitors, and they broke the main functionality: The software must work constantly!!

I develop web sites mainly for IE but i use FF3 because of this issue. I cannot 'pray' every time before i search for something, in order the browser to work!!

I hope MS fix this at least in IE8, because otherwise the FF team will be years beyond them.
    Microsft produces a lot of papers about software usability, they have change the way the user interacts with the application (office2007), but they forgot the main usability factor. The software must work as expected!! If I use a web browser that supports tabs, I actually want to use and open tabs!!!

P.S: (sorry for my english)

Thanks.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:14 AM
  • I agree with GSpY on this.  I've been dealing with IE7 problems since it's inception.  I continue to use it in parallel with FF as some sites run better in one than the other, however, IE7 is my main browsers.  This issue has shown up on brand new imaged builds of XP SP2 patched to current. I've spent hours tweaking and trying to get performance enhancements out of IE7 to little or no avail.

It is most definitely not a malware/adware/spyware/virus related issue.  I think trying to pin this issue on these items is a bit disingenuous.  Not trying to slam TheMajorPayne as these items are common in the home user and inexpereienced user communities, but I personally am talking about secured corporate machines. 

As far as add-on's go, there are to many work related sites that use Java to just disable it, just about every RSA/RILO/IPMI card in existance uses Java (god knows why).  As far as tool bars go, I can understand a small increase in memory use for every tab opened, but should not be what is causing it to consume over 500MB of memory.  Nor do I believe that using cached pages, smooth scrolling or other 'nicities' are the root cause.

Lots of people have been pouring over this problem individually while suffering the performance issues of IE7.  I'm just waiting till I get a good crash report and I'll be opening a premier support ticket for this issue.  I'm also going to be researching this on Server 2003 and 2008, since they will be running IE7 as their default browser as well.  I'll be sure to post up my findings.

The LMT

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:01 PM
  •  

Guys! Please help me think about this, we'll be close to solving this problem pretty soon!

First of all, I used this machine for three years...it's a fast machine and I often had 20-30 IE windows open with no problem. UNTIL TODAY!

The system displayed a "Virtual Memory Low" message but since I only had 2 IE windows open and a few windows explorer windows, I went to the Task Manager to see what's going on... ONE INSTANCE OF IE WAS USING 926MB and continuously growing!!! I then did a search for "Internet Explorer memory leak" and found this forum.

So, what has changed today that's causing the problem?

I did two things today that are unusual:

1. Install Skype! I did not have it on this machine and needed it to talk to someone.

2. Open a Visual Studio 6.0 project (haven't done this for several years, went back to look at the code for an old program).

Could it be one of these two?? If not, how do you explain that I used this machine for many years, always pushed IE to the max without any problem, but this only happened today with 2 IE windows open!?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Also, could be wowexec.exe related. Today is probably the first time I ran a 16-bit app on this machine....trying to reproduce now.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:54 PM
  •  

Great that you are aware of the changes made to your puter lately.  Also, do you have autoupdates on?  An update may have took place that you are not aware of.  You should be able to check your update history to verify this online via microsoft updater.  I didn't have problems either until one day out of the blue it was happening on several puters where I work.  I do think its a combination of installed items; service packs with other software.  It happens with ie V6 & V7 with our puters.  We are on XP Pro SP2 and current with that line. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:39 PM
  • And all this time i though i was smoking womething funny that caused the IE7 to become unresponsive and crash with the usage of hi mem in the background. Well i will be looking elsewhere for my browsing.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd put my two cents in here....

The minimize trick does do the trick for us, we're running WinXPSP3 with IE7, and all current updates here at work.  However, once you maximize IE again, the memory creeps right back up and in no time, it's taking up way too much memory.

I've tested closing IE entirely as well, and this also frees up the memory, until you open IE back up again.

Regardless of the "workarounds" found in this forum, IE will still continue to eat up memory while open.

Just a little more information on our systems;

We only have 1 homepage designated, and are only running the default add-ons that came with IE, and then Shockwave Flash.

I concur that once you open a new tab, and you have say 3 tabs open, and then close 2 of the tabs, the memory does not free up until you eithr minimize the browser or close it entirely, but again, as soon as you maximize or open it back up, the memory creeps right back up in no time.

This is especially frustrating to some of our users that are using older P4 machines with only 512MB RAM.

I hate to even entertain the idea that this is the way that IE7 was intended to function, so I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that and pray that Microsoft either fixes this issue with a hotfix or releases a much better, streamlined, non-memory-hoggin IE8.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hi Jason,

It does seem that when i minimize the ie window, all the memory being used frees up. I'll open Ie and it will instantly sit using around 150MB, Minimize and it drops to 2MB, maximize it and it jumps to just 18MB, But as soon as i go to browse it jumps stright to 50MB, open another tab and it will jump to 75MB and so on.

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Me too facing the same problem. IE7 is consuming nearly 250MB without tabls and consuming more than 1000 MB with two tabs.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:39 AM
  • Basically with only 3 tabs opened up and trying to respond to this thread i am looking at 75MB and if i leave it for a few minutes it will just climb. Basically the more tabs that are opened the fast the memory increases. Like many on this thread we are noting that clearly all are facing the same issue.

I was wonrdering like other colleagues or members on this thread if MS will ever look to correcting this mmeory hogger.

Smile

Regards

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Not sure that this is helpful in anyway since I am sure Microsoft really doesn't seem to care about this issue, which is still in IE8 RC1. I have disabled scripting under security and IE memory behaves. 

It's a core IE problem as using maxathon or IETab with firefox does the same thing unless i disable scripting, which of course causes most webpages these days to be useless. 

COME ON MICROSOFT FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:09 PM
  • As near as I have been able sort out, the MS Hot fix  of May:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943510/#appliesto
    Was incorporated into the Service packs of XP Pro( SP3) and Vista ( SP1); So in theory the Hotfix has been applied.
    The question is, has the Memory Propagation issue been solved ?
    I have been trying to look at this  from the point of View of people using IE7 Pro setup 2.4.4 , the Add-in that is a little bit more advanced than some regular IE "users" are used to.
    The broader issue is, does the IE 7 Memory issue affect IE 7 Still, and also is anyone aware of it affecting  the add-in  IE7 Pro setup 2.4.4  ?

The Suggestion has been made to me that although the Hot fix is in theory in the SPs of May 08, the Hot Fixes should be "re-applied".
    However, I am not entirely sure how this would work in the overall scheme of things
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Hello,

We are developing a BPM tool with a web front end. We use third-party controls from Telerik. These controls use MS AJAX. And in fact MS extensively use the same controls (this very forum is created with Telerik controls). And the problem is that our QAs constantly see excessive use of memory by IE that is not freed. FF handles memory usage far more elaborately. Despite the fact that we communicate with Telerik technical representatives and it is said that they fix some of the memory leaks in the controls, the major reason for this to occur is MS AJAX. Personally I can add IE to the list. The result is that there is no solution for the problem discussed, it is very difficult to explain and understand for QAs, clients why they should put up with such experience.

Right now I stay away from starting a support incident with MS, because I am pretty sure this will take a lot of time and will hardly bring any results. But I will need to do so, if the situation does not change.

Sorry for not providing you with a solution here. But if there is one, I will surely post it here. And I kindly ask everybody to do so.

Thank you in advance!
    Vladimir Kovalenko
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I currently have a case opened with Microsoft and the issue is still unresolved.  The behavior happens on a brand new install of Windows 2008 with no IE7 addons installed.  The engineers said it was due to Adobe Flash 10, but it isn't even installed on my test server.  They also said it may be due to the antiphishing filter.  wrong again. same behavior with it off.

The issue is this.  When you open a website like Google, little memory is used--maybe 15 Mb.  If you start opening web sites, the memory use continues to go up. If you go back to Google, the memory use never goes back to the 15 Mb.  It just keeps climbing.  Websites like facebook, cbs.com, espn.com, chicagotribune.com, boston.com, and other news sites that have video increase the RAM, and it never goes back down.  I have seen it as high as 1.5Gb!

The troubleshooting process seems very hit and miss by Microsoft, and I'm not sure if they will ever "solve" this.  I shouldn't even have to troubleshoot.  They could easily reproduce this on a brand new Vista or Windows 2008 server.  It becomes critical in our company since we use terminal server.  The server has 8Gb of RAM, and has 50 users.  So it will not take long to max out memory usage and bring the server to its knees.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:12 PM
  • And I thought I was the only one with this issue ..??!  This memory leak has been driving me crazy for about two weeks now !  Every time I open IE, the memory at start is fine, but give it just a few minutes of browsing and I'm up to 200MB cpu usage, from iexplore.exe ALONE !  Everything bogs down!  Does anybody have a clue what the heck is causing this ?  My system never did this before ... it just started happening on its own about two weeks ago !  I thought that I had possibly picked up an undetected virus or spyware.  Since all of you are having the exact same problem, I don't think that's the case !  Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hi, same type of issue for me, working fine in IE7 with tabs and then without warning the system or web page I am trying to get to stalls, after a few minutes of not being able to work, as someone else said many tabs just starting opening by themselves.  I have 1GB of memory and I did get a look at memory usage for this instance of IE7, and I had used 512MB.

I ended up killing that instance of IE7, and working ok.  For a while a few months ago, that would happen once a month or so, not so much now, don't know why.

Are there any process setting in IE7 that might minimize this - open in new instance or window?

Thanks

Mike
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Hi all,

I have just been reading your posts with interest. I have had the same problem with IE7 for some time now and have followed advice of disabling add ons and working through them all to see if any solve the problem.

Even if I opened Int Explorer with just my homepage (Google) and left it alone, iexplore.exe would increase and increase at a rate of about half a MB every second until eventually I ran low on memory. Occasionally I would come back to my PC after a while to find it using 1.7GB of RAM!!

I worked through my add ons and found that disabling a certain add-on (Groove GFS Browser Helper), this completely solves the problem. iexplore.exe still uses up to 75MB depending on how many tabs open etc. but it no longer increases by itself when doing nothing. I don't know if the same will apply to anyone else.

Seems ironic that it was a MS add on causing the problem all along!!

Thanks All

Adam

Monday, March 30, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I have a case opened as well regarding this.  I have done quite extensive testing as well.  I tried to get them to admit is was their problem.  I loaded an XP  machine with JUST windows and all the updates they recommended.  I didn't even open a webiste just the about:tabs screen and watch the memory slowly get eaten.  Granted, it does it slowly with nothing open, but it still does it, and when I went to a website finally, it grew considerably.  This is a IE7 issue that  Microsoft just hopes is overlooked and hasn't dealt with since IE7 was released.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I was having the same problems and I went to Internet Options/Advanced/Browsing and I unchecked "enable third party browser extensions".  This solved all my problems and my whole browsing experience seemed much better!  Its worth a try......   Dan
    Friday, May 01, 2009 3:40 PM
  • My "memory leak problem" started when I installed Java 16 update and ended when I removed it.
    Have a good summer guys.

Jari
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I switched to using Safari for my browser and I don't have this issue either.  Going to try downloading IE 8 and see if it behaves better.  If not I may check into the previous two posts options and see what happens.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for all that have added to this forum.  I also have been having problems with
    iexplore.exe eating up memory. This problem has just started in the last 2-3 weeks.

XP Home SP3
    2.43 g Intel processor
    1.0   g memory
    Norton Security
    IE8 (just loaded)

OK, just wanted to set up the enviroment a bit.  I had notice my IE7 just slowing down
    to a crawl in the last few weeks.  I brought up task Manager and noticed that the memory
    would keep creeping up...sometimes up to 500M, thus causing lots of paging.  I did some
    preliminary tuning of the following:

ran CHKDSK
    increased the size of page file to 1.5 x memory (so now low/high is set to 1526M)
    ran diskfragmenter several times

This didn't seem to help.

Got all available updates from Microsoft for XP, Norton.

This didn't seem to help.

Loaded up IE8.

This didn't help either.

After reading this forum, I got the idea that the IE add-ons may be part of my problem.

I found an option that would allow you to start an IE session without the add-ons at

START>>ALL PROGRAMS>>ACCESSORIES>>SYSTEM TOOLS>> Internet Explorer (NO Add-ons)

It seems that my problem of the creeping memory problem was gone and I could use my
    computer again.

So, this is my temporary work-around.  I'm catching up on email and will begin checking the 
    root of my problem.  I plan to report back with any results... 
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:01 PM
  • Having the same problem with my brand new laptop, running Windows Vista and IE7, I found this forum reassuring to notice that it's not just MY issue.

- Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1
    - Intel Core Duo Processor
    - 4 Gb RAM
    - 32-bit OS

However it's UNBELIEVABLE that the issue was reported nearly 2 years ago here, described in good detail, Microsoft knows about it, but STILL NO fix appears to be available!

I did test various things and tried all the workarounds suggested by others on this forum, thanks for those to everyone who contributed, but unfortunately none has fully worked for me with Windows Vista. The last one, opening IE with 'No Add-ons', seems to help a bit so that the physical memory consumption by iexplore.exe does not seem to creep up quite so fast as earlier, but it still continues to increase steadily. Seems I have to resort back to the 'close all browser windows and restart' route frequently to get around this.

It's very frustrating when you have invested in a new PC with forcefully add-on-packaged Microsoft software, and then immediately encounter problems running familiar web based applications that you did not experience previously when running XP on a much older PC. If anyone of you out there has found a good fix for this issue using Windows Vista and IE7, please share your advice with us!
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I experienced the same problem with IE8 after updating Java.  I'm pretty sure that Java has caused problems for awhile (before this update).  After disableing the Java 'Helper' in IE8 (Tools --> Manage Add-Ons --> Disable Java....Helper).

rick

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:03 AM
  • I have a brand new Toshiba with 4GB.   Has worked great, until today.  My old gateway laptop and 3 other computers I have all seem to have this memory "creep" of the iexplore.exe process.      

Yesterday, I dont remember what site I was on now, but was on a site or some function required some Java application.  So, on this new computer with many things not yet set up, I remember downloading this Java deal.    Today,   I have the "memory creep from ____".  

Did the Windows Task Manager thing, and iexplore.exe was going up to around 1,500,000 K !!!!!!     GOOD LORD.     Couldn't move through or use my email account much at all.     Can't BELIEVE a brand new computer is already doing this.     

Again,  is it more than "ironic" that I first noticed this "creep" issue since yesterday with the Java download/install, etc. or whatever occured?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:20 PM
  • fyi, forgot to mention that, as I have done with my other computers that this creep issue has been occuring on for over a year or so now, that I just manually end the process in the task manager and it stops.    All windows stay open.   It just kind of "reboots" my email account on my open windows, as if I had hit "refresh". Dont have to sign back into email, just takes you to the main page again.   

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I just started having the same problem, on a terminal server, that many have had in this forum. The first user to open IE7, killed the memory on the server, preventing everyone else from working. Eventually, the memory usage went to 1.6GB. I went in and disabled Add-ons, one group at a time, to see if that stopped the problem. The second group I tried, stopped the problem. I then, one by one, reenabled each add-on, testing as I went. When I reenabled Shockwave Flash Object the problem showed up again. I went into Add/Remove programs and uninstalled Macromedia Flash 8.0. That has stopped the "memory leak" for now. It remains to be seen if any users actually need Shockwave. I'll deal with that when the time comes. Thanks for the Internet Explorer (no add ons) tip. I didn't even know that existed.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:13 PM
  • I know this thread is about IE but a lot of you have pointed out having the same problem in other browsers.

This happens with all Windows apps I've tried; not just browsers.

Open some project in Visual Studio and check devenv.exe memory usage in task manager. Minimize and you'll see the memory freed (not the VM though). Restore and a small amount is taken again, and over time it can grow to hundereds of MB. Minimize and it starts over again, except for the VM which is only released when you terminate the process.

Try this with Outlook, Paint, and non-MS apps. This seems to happen with all the apps I've tried. Watch some app in task manager and just maximize then restore then maximize, etc. and you'll see both regular memory and VM going up whenever the content in the app's windows changes. Resize the 'panes' in visual studio and watch how much new memory is allocated, both regular and VM. Minimize and the regular memory is garbage collected.

I think the system is grabbing window snapshots to optimize showing the window content while dragging and changing between applicaations, etc. and it's not releasing old snapshots, maybe.

I'm trying to find an MS fix or an article I can point our customers at because this isn't a problem in our product; I think it's a problem in how Windows works in general.

I also have the problem of things slowing down and apps eventually locking up, especially Windows Explorer and IE, after which eventually Explorer crashes and I have to reboot.

Monday, November 30, 2009 8:24 PM
  • This html piece of html leaks memory. It simulates an AJAX refresh by replacing html every 5 seconds.

and.....

<body>
    <div id="1">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="2">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="3">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="4">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="5">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="6">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="7">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="8">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="9">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="10">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="11">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="12">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="13">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="14">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="15">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="16">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="17">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="18">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="19">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="20">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="21">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="22">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="23">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="24">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="25">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="26">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="27">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="28">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="29">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>
    <div id="30">wesrdhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggjfgcvhbjn,mpoiuytfrrrrrrmngjittttttttttttttttttttttttttlkjiyuhfddddddddddddddddddddddddkfxhFCSAAAAjh</div>

<script>

var leak = "fdshgfdshfdsh,<div>dsgfdsh</div><button onclick='alert(0);'>foo</button><form onsumbit='alert(0)' action='google.com'></form>";

var running = false;
    function refresh(){
    if(running) return;
     running = true;

for(var i=1;i<31;i++){
      var str = "";
      for(var j=0;j<100;j++){
       str += leak;
      }  
      document.getElementById(i).innerHTML = str;
     }
     running = false;