Outlook 2013 Advances search only shows cached emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have rolled out Outlook 2013 with cache mode on, we have set caching to only one month of data. We are using Outlook 365 as our exchange server.

Quick search works as it should and shows all the results. However, advanced find only shows results from the cached emails. IE nothing older than a month. I have run a re-index etc but still have had no joy. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What you described can be reproduced in my environment. It could be the default behavior when using Advanced Find in Cached Exchange mode.

Based on my understanding, the Advanced Find feature is dependent on the Windows Desktop Search (WDS) feature of the operating system. The WDS Indexer indexes the mailbox data that has been synchronized to the locally stored Offline Outlook Data (.ost) file. When we set caching to only one month, only one month of date is downloaded to the .ost file. So, when we search using Advanced Find, it only shows results from the cached emails.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

• Marked as answer by Dejul Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What you described can be reproduced in my environment. It could be the default behavior when using Advanced Find in Cached Exchange mode.

Based on my understanding, the Advanced Find feature is dependent on the Windows Desktop Search (WDS) feature of the operating system. The WDS Indexer indexes the mailbox data that has been synchronized to the locally stored Offline Outlook Data (.ost) file. When we set caching to only one month, only one month of date is downloaded to the .ost file. So, when we search using Advanced Find, it only shows results from the cached emails.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Dejul Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:24 AM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem.If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Thanks Steve
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Can anyone from Microsoft confirm that this is expected behavior and whether there's a workaround to add results from non-cached emails in Advanced Find when using limited cached mode?

Instant Search allows you to click "more" to include emails on the server, but Advanced Find has no such option.  It only works if we disable cached mode or increase the cache to All emails.  This effectively makes Advanced Find useless in our environment where we limit the cache to 12 months by policy.  

• Edited by sarahb.zb Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:00 AM