none
Hyper-V Server 2019 still bugged... blue screen after install RRS feed

• Question

• Installing this on a fully (firmware) updated HP Prolient DL380 Gen9 SD card causes an 'inaccessible_boot_device' blue screen on boot just after the install finishes. 

Server 2019 Standard installs and works fine.

Friday, June 21, 2019 2:07 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I am a bit confused about your description.

What are you trying to install? Could you please clarify more details?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, June 21, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Sure... sorry for the lack of description... I'm trying to install the newly released, and much delayed, free Hyper-V Server 2019... its a stripped down version of Server 2019 meant to run without a license and just has Hyper-V role installed... similar to VMware's free ESXi version. 

This version blue screens shortly after install... whereas Windows 2019 Standard and Datacenter install just fine. There is clearly something wrong with this build of Windows... I believe it was delayed due to install issues and it seems to have persisted.

Friday, June 21, 2019 12:36 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your updating.

>>This version blue screens shortly after install.

Before the issue happened, did you do any modifications? 

I have not received such feedback yet. If there is no important data, you might try to rebuild OS and then check again.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:14 AM
  • there were no modifications... and I've tried installing the OS multiple times using different ISO downloads and different USB keys. In every case, the OS goes through its initial install, then reboots and after a short time will blue screen instead of booting to a prompt. 

I have successfully installed this OS on a different computer, so the issue seems limited to an HP DL380 Gen9. Like I have said earlier, Windows 2019 Server Standard and Datacenter installs just fine. 

I'm wondering if the stripped down free Hyper-V 2019 server is missing drivers, perhaps SCSI controller drivers for this particular model of server. If there is a way to inject drivers into the Hyper-V ISO, I'd be interested in trying that route.

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Looking at windowsservercatalog.com it appears that HPE lists the DL380 Gen9 in two categories - one supporting Windows Server 2019 and one not supporting it.  You may want to check with HPE as to which system you have.  Just because a system runs a version of Windows Server does not necessarily mean the vendor supports that version of Windows Server on the system.  The system you are having issues with may require some sort of upgrade from HPE in order to support 2019.  HPE would be the people to validate this.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:10 PM
  • HP has confirmed that the DL380 Gen9 is certified for not just Server 2019 Standard / Datacenter but also for Server 2019 Hyper-V

DL380 Windows Catalog

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:53 PM
  • Is Hyper-V Server 2019 supported on SD/USB installs?  If so, that's new.  Previous versions this wasn't supported or recommended except in certain OEM cases.

What happens if you install on standard media, SSD or HDD?

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:52 PM
  • I would expect that if it was not able to use the SD card, that it would not be available to install when first booting the install media.

In fact, its the only location available as I have my storage array configured so that there is no hardware raid, to allow Storage Spaces to use all the disks.

The install media doesn't see those disks at all as an option to install. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:18 PM
  • Well, you've always been able to do things that aren't supported under Windows, so just because you can install it, doesn't mean it will work properly. 

I'd try adding an sata SSD or HDD as a boot drive and see if you can boot from that.

Hyper-V Server 2019 requirements forward to Windows Server 2019 requirements.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/sys-reqs-19

Minimum is 32GB of space.  There's no mention of USB or SC Cards.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:06 PM
  • I was using a 128GB sandisk for install... I've seen a few threads on shoehorning Hyper-V on by playing with the wim file... but I've also seen threads stating that Hyper-V will shred a flash drive with all it's I/O...  I guess I thought this was a sure thing... I may stick with Server 2019 Standard and the Hyper-V role or just install ESXi which was designed to run this way...

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:08 AM