none
removing Findwide RRS feed

• Question

• When we click on IE as a browser the search engine that comes up is Findwide.  I have uninstalled it from my programs but I can not get IE as my search engine. Very frustrating. This happened after I donwloaded a media player. Can anyone help???
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• See: "How to Reset Internet Explorer settings".

Then...

1. Please download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool (freeware).
    2. Reboot your PC.
    3. Please download and update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
    4. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode and run a Full Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    5. Download and Run AdwCleaner, RogueKiller and Junkware Removal Tool (Freeware)
    . Reboot and Test.

Best of Luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Boot into safe mode, check if Findwide has uninstalled from Programs and Features, and then reset IE settings.

Locate to registry, follow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, and delete the key named Start Page.

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:34 PM
  • I serious can't believe what I am reading here - adwcleaner and the others listed are fake applications that make it look like it is removing the virus when infact it doesn't.
    http://www.removeonline.com/adwcleaner-exe/

I've known about this fake app for over 2 years so how'sthis fact is not known here is surprising to me :-/

Findwide hides in the registry under tnt2 or tnt2user.exe where by the antivirus softwares DON'T remove it.

The only way to remove this nasty virus is to FIRST remove it as an addon in all of your browsers that you have on your computer/laptop:
    Backup your registry!!! 

Back up your computer/laptop

Then from the toolbar >EDIT>find next and look for all the entries of "tnt2" read the key carefully as nvidia processes sometimes list as tnt according to the search engines ...
    and then physically delete the associated key and subfolders 

if you are in doubt back up the registry key before deletion!

then repeat the search for "findwide" and do the same.

there's alot of keys to manually delete and it ain't easy so if you're not a pro be warned! check check and check again before deletion 

use F3 and find all the tnt2 and tnt2user.exe entries as it hides everywhere!!!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:37 AM
  • By the way - make sure you delete the startup location as in Andy's solution "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, and delete the key named Start Page."- remove access to internet explorer, (export your bookmarks - only the ones you trust)remove any additional browsers and then reinstall your browser's .

if the stubborn thing comes back it will reveal itself in the address bar of the browser whereby you can delete the final traces of the virus/browser hijack :-)

Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:09 AM