none
Remove lync from AD for fresh deployment RRS feed

• Question

• We had a network Admin install Lync 2010 on our domain.  After he could not get it working he deleted the Vm's the servers were on.

Now I have the task to get a new deployment running, but I can't install a fresh deployment.  The install will not let me install a new deployment because we still have all the old settings in AD.

Now I have read a great article on how to remove the AD settings for the old lync form http://ucmadeeasy.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/lync-server-2010-active-directory-references-and-how-to-remove-them/

My Problem is I do not have the old servers or a copy of the old topologies.  How do I remove the old settings from AD so I can install a fresh copy.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:43 AM

Answers

• As long as OCS isn't already in this environment and you simply want to wipe all Lync related information and start fresh you can easily do this, minus the Schema extension which is permanent.

Just run adsiedit and connect to the Configuration naming context.  Browse down to Configuration > Services > RTC Service and then just delete the entire RTC Service container.  Also delete the Computer object(s) for any Lync Server you had previously installed.  Afterward you can re-run the AD prep steps (Forest Prep) which shows as not completed in the setup wizard.

I have used this process multiple times to install newer beta releases in my lab and it works fine.  That said if this is production make sure you plan this very carefully and get good backups as John suggested.

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Jessie Gill Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:51 PM
  • What about the system container?

If you connect to default context, and then expand system, you should see System->Microsoft->RTC Services

If this was installed in your system container that is.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Jessie

you cant un-extend the schema so you have to work around i am afraid and its a scary task!

first TAKE A BACKUP of your AD and ensure it is a good backup!

using the ucmadeeasy link above and adsiedit you can remove the elements for the RTCService but its a slow process going thru each individual one and cleaning up server entries....

you can technical remove the rtcservice directory AFTER A FULL GOOD BACKUP has been taken and then run the domain / forestprep again to repopulate the fields from new

its a bit drastic and you have to be VERY VERY careful

hope it is of some help...

John
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:38 AM
  • As long as OCS isn't already in this environment and you simply want to wipe all Lync related information and start fresh you can easily do this, minus the Schema extension which is permanent.

Just run adsiedit and connect to the Configuration naming context.  Browse down to Configuration > Services > RTC Service and then just delete the entire RTC Service container.  Also delete the Computer object(s) for any Lync Server you had previously installed.  Afterward you can re-run the AD prep steps (Forest Prep) which shows as not completed in the setup wizard.

I have used this process multiple times to install newer beta releases in my lab and it works fine.  That said if this is production make sure you plan this very carefully and get good backups as John suggested.

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:51 PM
  • What about the system container?

If you connect to default context, and then expand system, you should see System->Microsoft->RTC Services

If this was installed in your system container that is.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Jeff, you might know this. How would you go about installing Lync Server RTM in a domain that already has 2007R2 and OCS w14 (pre-beta) installed? Obviously I wont be able to upgrade the pre-beta version to RTM and can't delete the RTC Service container if I want to keep my 2007R2 pool intact.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:59 PM
  • In that case you'll need to take a more surgical approach.  Try this:
    http://mikestacy.typepad.com/mike-stacys-blog/2010/11/upgrading-from-the-release-candidate-of-lync-to-rtm-completely-unsupported.html

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:14 PM
  • What if we want to uninstall Lync from the Front End server, remove the topology, remove all databases from the stand-alone DB server BUT leave the servers online for a fresh install?  We want to keep the same machine names and rather not rebuild the entire server. All we've done at this point is applied the topology but want to redo it.  We've got as far as uninstalling Lync, removing all related files from explorer, uninstalled the local SQL Express install and removed all the DBs from the database server.  However, we have a feeling various objects are still floating around in AD and want to clean those up before we proceed.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:57 PM
  • What if we want to uninstall Lync from the Front End server, remove the topology, remove all databases from the stand-alone DB server BUT leave the servers online for a fresh install?  We want to keep the same machine names and rather not rebuild the entire server. All we've done at this point is applied the topology but want to redo it.  We've got as far as uninstalling Lync, removing all related files from explorer, uninstalled the local SQL Express install and removed all the DBs from the database server.  However, we have a feeling various objects are still floating around in AD and want to clean those up before we proceed.

Hi Frends!

I try it too. And please help me. I no andersend, that is need for full remove Lync and reinstall again in my.domain?

That was made:

PS C:> Import-Module ServerManager

PS C:> Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Telnet-Client,Web-Server,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Net-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Log-Libraries,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Filtering,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Scripting-Tools -Restart

I too have this problem. The server was established, then removed. Thus in ADSI there is no record....

Started in Lync Server Managerment Shell (PowerShell):

Remove-CsConfigurationStoreLocation

on next step Creating Central Management Store writes a mistake to publications of topology:

1) MissingObject: Machine Lync.cds.can from the topology you are publishing was not found in Active Directory and will result in errors during Enable-CsTopology as it tries to prepare Active Directory entries for the topology machines. If you choose to publish this topology Enable-CsTopology will have to be re-run once the missing machines are domain-joined.

2) Error: Failed to create new instance of "Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Schema.ADMicrosoftSCP" at "Lync.my.dom".
    Error: Failed to create new instance of "Microsoft.Rtc.Management.ADConnect.Schema.ADMicrosoftSCP" at "Lync.my.dom".

3) Error: An error occurred when add "Lync" to "RTCHSUniversalServices".

for information "Lync.my.dom" - it is old server-computer name of non production Lync Server.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:20 AM
  • I would remove the servers from the domain, delete their computer objects in AD, and then re-add the computers to the domain.

The Computer Objects are actually containers (you need to use ADSIedit to see this) and include Lync-specific information in them, so by deleting and recreating you'll also wipe that old information.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:13 PM