none
After upgrading to IE9, Infopath XML files fail to open with the following error when launched from an embedded URL

    Question

  • I am running Win7, Office 2010 fully installed and have recently upgraded to IE9.  We have an InfoPath form (not browser-enabled, due to manged code issues) that sends an email with an embedded URL of the a submitted form to the user for confirmation via an SP workflow process.  When the link is clicked from within the "confirmation" email on a Win7, Office 2010, IE8 client the InfoPath form opens from the desktop client, which is expected behavior.  In Win7, Office 2010, IE9 an error displays for the user, "There has been an error while loading the form." and when you click on the error details, you get, "This form template is not currently browser-enabled... (see image below)."  Nothing else on the client or server has changed other than the installation of IE8 to IE9.

     Thanks in advance for ideas of suggestions.

    ~Juan

    InfoPath 2007 Issue

    Pulpit rock

     

    Friday, April 8, 2011 11:35 PM

Answers

  • I wanted to let you know that I think I’ve solved the issue IE9 has in opening links embedded in email notifications.  This is what we did to fix it. Hope this helps anyone else experiecing this issue. 

    1.       From within an IE 9 window press and hold the alt button and then tap the letter t

    2.       Click on Compatibility View settings

    3.       Type: {your URL} in the field

    4.       Click Add, and ensure that the {your URL} address is listed in the box (see image)

    5.       Click Close

    6.       Open up “Services.msc”

    7.       Right-click on the “WebClient”

    8.       Click on Restart

    9.       Test

    IE 9 InfoPath not opening proposed solution:

    Pulpit rock
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

  • I wanted to let you know that I think I’ve solved the issue IE9 has in opening links embedded in email notifications.  This is what we did to fix it. Hope this helps anyone else experiecing this issue. 

    1.       From within an IE 9 window press and hold the alt button and then tap the letter t

    2.       Click on Compatibility View settings

    3.       Type: {your URL} in the field

    4.       Click Add, and ensure that the {your URL} address is listed in the box (see image)

    5.       Click Close

    6.       Open up “Services.msc”

    7.       Right-click on the “WebClient”

    8.       Click on Restart

    9.       Test

    IE 9 InfoPath not opening proposed solution:

    Pulpit rock
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

    Thanks for sharing this with us, it will help other communities here.

    Regards,

    Miya

     


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Ricardo Polo Monday, September 2, 2013 5:25 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:41 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank you.  This worked for us.

    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Thank you so much for helping me out... adding to the above note, in some cases the issue can be fixed by

    2.       Click on Compatibility View settings, then check Display all websites in compatibility view. This solved my issue


    Friday, November 30, 2012 10:56 AM