none
Copying into a SharePoint list over multiple pages RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where a list has hundreds of items (approx 1500 items). I want a user to be able to go into quick edit and paste in a lot of items into a column for all 1500 items. At the moment, you can paste items in from Excel on a page-by-page basis in classic view. You can select all rows in a page and then paste that many items in at once, but if you try and paste all items, it complains that the area you've selected isn't the same size as the area of stuff to be copied. 

Is there a way to copy items into a column across multiple list pages? 

We've tried just increasing the number of items per page but some users are on really old laptops and that tends to make SharePoint crash. 

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Jessica,

Whether you want to copy all 1500 list items page by page to another list?

When we copy multiple rows of items, we need to ensure target list has same or more rows exists in the view.

If not, it will occur the issue you mentioned in the post.

As a workaround, we could use PowerShell to copy all List Items from One List to Another using PowerShell from below article:

SharePoint Online: Copy List Item to Another List using PowerShell

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

I’m checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, December 9, 2019 1:25 AM
  • The problem was about copying data into a list from Excel. 

It turns out that you need to switch between modern and classic views. To copy in multiple new rows at the same time you need to be in classic view, but then if you try to copy in values to a column for items that already exist in a list, you get the error message as soon as you go above the number of items in the page. So you have to switch back to modern view. Copying hundreds of values at once into a column works if you are in modern view. 

It's ridiculous that one only works in one mode and the other only works in the other. 

• Marked as answer by Jessica Meats Monday, December 9, 2019 4:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jessica Meats Friday, December 13, 2019 10:39 AM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Returning to this thread because what I thought was a solution isn't. 

I need to paste in several hundred items from Excel into a SharePoint column (this has absolutely nothing to do with copying list items inside SharePoint). 

I select the data I need in Excel and click copy. I select the first cell in the SharePoint list and paste, and I get the error "The information cannot be pasted because the paste area is not completely within the grid." 

If I try selecting all visible column cells on the page, I get the same error. If I try selecting down to the empty row at the bottom of the first page on list, I get the same error. 

Because there are so many items in the list, the list splits them into pages (e.g. items 1-60, 61-120, etc.) so I physically can't select all the rows in the list so I can't get SharePoint to accept the paste area. 

Any help? 

Friday, December 13, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

I could reproduce your issue when I copy two Excel columns and paste in SharePoint list has only one column.

However, when I select first cell and paste in list column the error will not show, and I select all rows of one column value in Excel and paste in the bottom of the first page on list, It will automatically paginate both in classic and modern view.

If you have large number of data, please try to use “Import Spreadsheet” web part to import Excel to SharePoint or Format it as a Table in Excel then Export Table to SharePoint list, please refer option2 or option 3 from below article:

3 ways to import Excel to SharePoint

Best regards,

Julie

Monday, December 16, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Julie 

Pasting at the bottom of the first page creates new rows. That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to paste values into a column for rows that already exist. 

The full scenario: 

User 1 imports an Excel spreadsheet. This creates the SharePoint list (very, very slowly, but it works). One column of this list is currently empty. User 1 creates different views for users 2, 3, and 4 filtering to show only rows relevant to them. 

User 1 shares the list with user 2 and asks them to fill in the missing values in the empty column. 

User 2 goes to the list and goes to their view. User 2 selects the data in their Excel spreadsheet, copies, attempts to paste into the empty column, and gets the error message. 

Import spreadsheet is irrelevant to the part of the scenario that's giving the problem and pasting at the bottom of the list doesn't fill in values for the rows that already exist. This is something that worked in SharePoint 2007, so I don't understand how it's not working in SharePoint Online. 

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

When you want to paste one column value in Excel spreadsheet and paste in SharePoint list column, the rows in the SharePoint list is 30 rows per page, if excel value rows exceed 30 rows in one page, it will occur the error you mentioned.

I am afraid it’s by design that we could only copy 30 rows values and paste in list column in classic view at one time.

In modern view it’s unstable to show paginated buttons when I test in my environment.

Best regards,

Julie

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:47 AM
  • The site in question has been migrated from SharePoint 2007. In the old site, users were able to copy in several hundred items at a time into the column using datasheet view, but now when they try, they get the error message. It seems strange that this could be in such an old version of SharePoint but not in the new version. 

Is there any way to do this that doesn't result in an error message? 

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi Jessica,

It’s by design and we couldn’t copy in several hundred items at a time into the column using datasheet view.

Best regards,

Julie

Friday, December 20, 2019 7:34 AM
  • The users could do this in SharePoint 2007! We're migrating them to a version that's more than 10 years more recent and the functionality has stopped working. That's the problem. 

You shouldn't lose functionality when being brought to an up to date version and be told "it's by design". 

Friday, December 20, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi Jessica,

Sorry for misleading you, if we paginate all items, we can only paste the number of items that not exceed page item limit.

As a workaround, please modify current view and change the Item limit over than 1500 items(default number is 30) so that we could copy in several hundred items at a time into the column using datasheet view.

Best regards,

Julie

Monday, December 23, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

Do you have any progress on this issue?

Please remember to update this thread if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:26 AM
  • I haven't had any progress because you told me it can't be done, despite the fact that it used to work in 2007. 

This is basically preventing us migrating this site from SharePoint 2007 into SharePoint Online because it breaks a critical process. 

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 3:19 PM
  • Hi Jessica,

Have you tried the workaround as aboved to change the default list item limit 30 to over than 1500 items?

Please feel free to reply if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Julie

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:29 AM
  • From my very first post in this thread: "We've tried just increasing the number of items per page but some users are on really old laptops and that tends to make SharePoint crash."
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 9:12 AM