Search engine results have become less user friendly RRS feed

• Question

• Both Microsoft and Google search engine results have become less user friendly over the past few years. Using Windows 7 Pro, I.E. 9, 64 Bit browser, a Bing search for "Windows 7 64 bit Microsoft Security Essentials download" results in a list crowded out by "Related Searches" on the left and Adds on the right although Adds are also included in search results.

At the end of each listed page there are more pages of results to select from. I went as high as the 52nd page and stopped there. Maybe it goes on forever? Try this yourself using search argument above without the quotes.

In my run of search, the third "hit" is Norton, says it is free, maybe for 3 months but who would opt for this cumbersome 3rd party solution to a problem that can only properly be served by the people who wrote the software that needs to be protected? Norton should not be in my search results.   

The fourth hit wades in from FileHippo.com for Vista 64. Should I trust a third party's download? This should not be listed.

Hit 5 gave me a pop-up and it is the only one safe location for a user to get to with this search (will vary depending on language):
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:18 AM

Answers

• Searching nowadays is based on user profiling. The results you get in a search engine do no longer match the results anyone else gets using the same search engine. The results displayed are based on many criteria including:

• IP Address
    • Geographical location
    • Browser version
    • Cookies
    • Logged in account
    • OS version
    • OS Language
    • OS Location settings
    • Installed extensions to your browser

And the list goes on. For me the results of both google and bing provided the correct link as the first results.

That being said, I do not think the Windows 7 forums are meant for a search engine discussion.

• Edited by Jaap BrasserMVP Monday, February 27, 2012 1:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Monday, February 27, 2012 2:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, March 5, 2012 6:54 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 1:37 PM
  • The shorter, smaller, or specific search parameter will typically generate the best results with any search tool

"Windows 7 64 bit Microsoft Security Essentials download" may be what you want, but it has too many terms (parameters) to use. I would not search with such a term.

Search the proper name "microsoft security essentials" and Google provides a direct link to MSE site, where, of course, there is a download button and you can choose the proper architecture.

Adapt and implement some different search habits for the web and on the computer. The web tools are steering you to promoted results paid by the vendor first. As new users explore the internet the expected search results are those pushed to them and they do not know that is the case. Each generation is trained differently by the marketers and advertisers in all medium.

Sorry for the tangent. There is no one answer for your question. I concur with Brasser, this is not the place for such a discussion. Adjust the browser configuration, clear the cache, Ctrl+Shift+Delete and try again.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

The search results are based on the search strategy and other factor such as language or location and so on.  For me the results of bing provided the correct link as the first results.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:03 AM

All replies

• Searching nowadays is based on user profiling. The results you get in a search engine do no longer match the results anyone else gets using the same search engine. The results displayed are based on many criteria including:

• IP Address
    • Geographical location
    • Browser version
    • Cookies
    • Logged in account
    • OS version
    • OS Language
    • OS Location settings
    • Installed extensions to your browser

And the list goes on. For me the results of both google and bing provided the correct link as the first results.

That being said, I do not think the Windows 7 forums are meant for a search engine discussion.

• Edited by Jaap BrasserMVP Monday, February 27, 2012 1:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Monday, February 27, 2012 2:19 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 1:37 PM
  • The shorter, smaller, or specific search parameter will typically generate the best results with any search tool

"Windows 7 64 bit Microsoft Security Essentials download" may be what you want, but it has too many terms (parameters) to use. I would not search with such a term.

Search the proper name "microsoft security essentials" and Google provides a direct link to MSE site, where, of course, there is a download button and you can choose the proper architecture.

Adapt and implement some different search habits for the web and on the computer. The web tools are steering you to promoted results paid by the vendor first. As new users explore the internet the expected search results are those pushed to them and they do not know that is the case. Each generation is trained differently by the marketers and advertisers in all medium.

Sorry for the tangent. There is no one answer for your question. I concur with Brasser, this is not the place for such a discussion. Adjust the browser configuration, clear the cache, Ctrl+Shift+Delete and try again.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

The search results are based on the search strategy and other factor such as language or location and so on.  For me the results of bing provided the correct link as the first results.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:03 AM