none
any way to restore a dedicated search bar like IE 8?? RRS feed

• Question

• I enjoyed being able to type a search phrase in the search bar then search the same topic with different search providers.  So far I don't like this combined bar at all and will uninstall IE9 (or just start using Chrome) unless I can find a solution
    product design guy
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Internet Explorer team has combined Address bar and Search bar. You can now search directly from the Address bar. And you can also add different search providers.

Search with the Internet Explorer 9 Address bar

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

I would give the feedback to our product team; they will consider your suggestion seriously, and you could also send feedback to the following websites:

Internet Explorer Feedback Program | Microsoft Connect

Hope this feature would be back in future.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Internet Explorer team has combined Address bar and Search bar. You can now search directly from the Address bar. And you can also add different search providers.

Search with the Internet Explorer 9 Address bar

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:06 AM
  • I also would like the dedicated search bar back. I try to use the combined bar, but I always get rerouted to my ISPs page, which try's to correct my search terms. Definitely not the experience I want when I am trying to look something up real quick. If I want to search the internet, I now have to start firefox 3. I guess maybe downloading a toolbar would give you an additional search box.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Alex,

This is not answering the question.   We WANT to use a separate search bar - not the address bar.  I've had the ability to search in the address bar for several versions of IE.  I want the separate search bar - so I don't have to start a new session each time I change my search terms.   I want to keep my searchs open so I can see the address and results and adjust the terms.  

• Proposed as answer by M3700 Friday, May 22, 2015 10:41 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:52 PM
  • +1. The combined feature is cumbersome and works only half the time. Furthermore, many enterprises configure group policy to prevent searching in the address bar to prevent leaking internal domain name information to the Internet. The lack of a search bar in IE 9 is a significant step backward. It is actually enough to make me use a different browser.
    Server 2008 Security Resource Kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0735625042?tag=protectyourwi-20
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Definitely agree - I want my dedicated search box back! In my work environment I often enter hostnames (e.g. of printers) into the address bar to connected to their embedded web page. With the address bar search function enabled, it does a search instead :(. Very annoying!

For now I've installed the Google toolbar, which works but isn't great as now I have to deal with all the extra stuff that comes with that. I'm finding I'm using Firefox 4 more and more these days...

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I also agree.  The combined bars in IE9 and Google Chrome are annoying.  If I want to adjust the search terms or want to recall what I had searched on, it is a pain.  In addition, I like having the search term history (such as by double-clicking in the search box or pressing the down arrow key).
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I would give the feedback to our product team; they will consider your suggestion seriously, and you could also send feedback to the following websites:

Internet Explorer Feedback Program | Microsoft Connect

Hope this feature would be back in future.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:52 AM
  • We gave them feedback during the Beta stage of IE9 in Microsoft Connect. They closed our complains/concerns as "By Design", meaning they had no intention to change it back or listen to their user's requests. Please consult with higher management at MSFT so that the developers are held accountable for this mess.
    • Proposed as answer by M3700 Friday, May 22, 2015 10:43 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Worst thing Microsoft did to an otherwise quite impressive development project.

Typing in an address and typing in search terms are two fundamentally different things.

Please see also this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/3788521c-5478-406b-90fe-fd9fe89a00b6

-Noel

Saturday, May 7, 2011 3:38 AM
  • I have to agree with Noe, above. Please give us our search box back.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:32 PM
  • The arrogance of the MS IE9 development team is astounding.  These junior programers have no clue how a normal mind works.

I think these are the same junior developers that worked on Office 2007 and 2010.  Both these products had features disappear from previous versions also.

I hope MS fires a few of these idiots!

Sunday, June 5, 2011 5:31 PM
  • I have to agree that this combined address and search window is not a useful change.  It seems arrogant that there is not an option to allow the persistent user to restore the old configuration.  There is no added value, not even for a small screen, as is the purported reason for it.  I don't like this in IE9, Chrome, or FireFox.  At the very least a search icon could be placed next to the home, star, and tools icons. As has been pointed out before, and casually disregarded, the separate search box allowed a user to cycle through multiple search engines by selecting the appropriate icon for the preferred search engine.  It may be cool to add new features, but the test for removing functionality must always be for adding value or removing a weakness.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I've been working with the Quero Toolbar source, and while it had some intial problems, by disabling most of the configuration settings and removing some right-click menu functionality in the source code I have managed to work around the instability and get a perfectly functional search box back, without a downside. 

Note the search box at the right end of the Menu line. 

This workaround is a bit shy of perfect, however, in that I cannot get the menus, address bar, and search bar all on one line as can be done in Firefox to minimize chrome.

I have let the author know the changes needed for stability.

-Noel

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Je souhaite retrouver dans IE 9 une barre de recherche Google indépendante de la barre d'adresse

Ich will eine Bar in IE 9 Google-Suche unabhängig von der Adressleiste finden

I want to find a Google search bar independent of the address bar in IE 9

想找到IE 9谷歌搜索地址栏的独立酒吧

Jeg ønsker at finde en bar i IE 9 Google-søgning uafhængig af adresselinjen

Quiero encontrar un bar en la IE 9 de búsqueda de Google independiente de la barra de direcciones

Haluan löytää baari IE 9 Google Search riippumaton osoiterivin

Θέλω να βρω ένα μπαρ στο δηλ. 9 αναζήτησης Google ανεξάρτητα από τη γραμμή διευθύνσεων  

私は、アドレスバー独立したIE 9 Google検索バーを検索する

मैं आईई 9 गूगल की पता पट्टी के स्वतंत्र खोज में एक बार मिल चाहते हैं 

אני רוצה למצוא את סרגל החיפוש של IE גוגל 9 עצמאית של שורת הכתובת   

En quelle langue faut-il le dire ???
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:44 PM
  • The problem with Microsoft stems from the lack of leadership. Since Bill Gates left, there is a slow but steady and quite perceptible drift away from the vision to be useful to the users. The real solution will be a new leader with similar vision.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Yes, bring back the separate search bar.... i uninstalled IE9 because of it.  I research a LOT on the web and IE9 makes it more difficult and that is aggravating.

Let US decide the options... LET US decide...

Separate search bar option, please....

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:21 AM
  • I have also had to go back to IE8 on all of the machines I control.  In addition to the inconvience of not having a seperate search bar, seaching via the address bar is a security hole.

http://www.saberman.com

Edit:

I appearently was not clear enough.  The lack of a seperate search bar is enough of a security hole to force Crporate America to use another browser.  The security hole is this:

If a user types an intranet url incorrectly it is sent to whatever search engine is set as the default.  This exposes internal server names, links, possibly ftp userids and passwords (if the user is stupid enough to include them in a URL) to the outside world.  That risk is sufficient to force the use of a different browser.

Perhaps nobody currently in Microsoft remembers the scare of a non Microsoft web browser caused in the early days of the web.  You crushed that risk then but you are now bringing it back.  Bring back a seperate search bar or lose the corporate intranet and then the corporate internet.

• Edited by saberman Friday, October 5, 2012 4:55 AM Clearification
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Yes, please give us back the separate search bar.  This is the most bad bad bad....decision from microsoft.  That designer should be fired immediately.!
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:18 AM
  • The Quero toolbar I mentioned above has worked out to be a good solution for me.

Disabling most of Quero's "native" functionality leaves the search bar on the screen, and one can actually then disable the "Search from within the Address Bar" function of IE9.  The released version now seems quite stable with IE9.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Hi

I also would like a separate bar for searching!!!

Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Internet Explorer team has combined Address bar and Search bar. You can now search directly from the Address bar. And you can also add different search providers.

Alex Zhao

click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial

This is NOT An answer.... why did you even write it. Do you see the mans' question

"any way to restore a dedicated search bar "

Do you see how you totally ignored his question and try to FORCE the new way of IE 9.

Typical response to an absolute blunder of a deployment.

Friday, October 5, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Alex Zhao = MS Bot

Friday, October 5, 2012 4:35 AM
  • Just an FYI:  The above reply was "Marked as answer" to this thread on 29 April 2011. It is now 30 May 2014, and I'm still using Firefox as my browser -- it allows me to have a dedicated Search box. IE does not -- it doesn't even give me the option.

I'm sure you know best, though -- it's your product.

• Proposed as answer by C_Shaw Friday, May 30, 2014 8:44 PM
    • Edited by C_Shaw Friday, May 30, 2014 8:44 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Actually, though Firefox works very well, IE11 still has a better security model.  It's just not all set to make you as safe as you should be with the default configuration.  I guess Microsoft wants you to make the decision not to see all the glitz ActiveX plug-ins can bring, but blocking ActiveX completely for everything in the wild Internet Zone really does protect you from most badware.  Add to that the MVPS hosts file to block parasite web sites, and a better anti-malware solution like Avast! free and you've got a very secure machine.

And, as I mentioned above, the Quero toolbar works great with IE11 on Windows 8.1 to restore a dedicated search box. It feeds the search engines (e.g., Google) exactly what you need, and you can completely disable the search in the IE address bar.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:47 AM
  • While I agree that Quero is a temporary solution it is not necessarily something that will fly in the corporate world.  Many corporate shops, especially in the financial industry, are reluctant to having to configure and support an open source add-on.  They would just as soon set a policy to cut off search in IE and force their users to go to a search web site to do an internet search.

On the other hand, at least one shop has allowed the use of Firefox because it works better with some critical sites.  If those shops turn off the search capability in IE it will wither and die.

What I don't understand is Microsoft makes a big point of focusing on security and yet opens a gapping hole by merging the search and address boxes.

I would really like to know what the business case was for the merge.  The only code reduction gained by merging the two boxes is the elimination of search history.  Maybe that was the driver?  I notice that the latest versions of IE don't have a dropdown arrow next to the address box that shows the URLs for recent web pages within the current web site.

http://www.saberman.com

Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:31 AM
  • I don't think it's anywhere near as sophisticated reason as you imagine.

Most likely because there was a Marketing guy in charge Microsoft let their Marketing department take full control of their direction, and that led them down the path of trying to "create a new style".

Who the heck needs style in their OS?  Pure consumers who have no clue?  And who is it that thinks Marketing should drive the direction of a technical product?

No, an OS is not something that needs to be stylish.  Trying to make things stylish is simply to ensure ongoing sales when there's nothing actually new and improved about the product.  It just has to LOOK different.  Which, ironically, makes it HARDER to use.

It's a bad trend, and one that Microsoft clearly needs to reverse before they fail utterly.  The mighty empire CAN fall.  Even Rome fell.  Fortunately, Microsoft still has corporate sales of Windows 7 to shore them up, but that's not going to keep forever.

It's time for Microsoft to return to their core values - FIRST AND FOREMOST making a good platform for business, then oh by the way, people will want to take it home from work and use there as well.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:30 AM
  • Dear Alex and Microsoft,

Hope you are well.

It is over three years and three versions of IE 9,10 and 11 down the road with the same fault.

I wonder if the Customer feed back provided to the development team ever reached it and been considered.

Any feedback from the development team?

Has Microsoft by now came up with a solution other than "install a different browser"?

Thank you,

M3700

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:30 PM