none
Right clicking the Excel or Word icon in the task bar no longer shows recent files RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to Windows 10, then found that "recent places" was not available in the Windows Explorer display; a feature that I use often.

So I uninstalled Windows 10 and reverted to Windows 7, which I find easy to use.

Unfortunately, now, the function of "Right clicking the Excel or Word icon in the task bar no longer shows recent files". Nor does Adobe Acrobat. Strangely my Office version of Visio does show recent files, and so does PowerPoint and Internet Explorer!!

Can anyone help to advise how I may re-enable the "Right click for recent files" feature in Word and Excel?

PS> I have tried a suggestion previously posted, i.e : "1. Click START, and in the RUN command line enter the following:

%AppData%\Microsoft]Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations"

but up jumps the "location not available" warning tab and I can proceed no further.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try this one yet?

1. Right click the Start/Win button, select Properties
    2. Click the Start Menu tab (it should be select as default)
    3. Click the Customize button
    4. Scroll down and check the Recent Items check box
    5. Click Ok
    6. Click Apply
    7. Click Ok
    8. Check “Recent” option in the start menu.

It's worth giving it a try...

Maurice

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. Thank You

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:39 AM
  • Thanks Maurice

Appreciate the help, but unfortunately that box was already checked. Just to be sure I unchecked it, shut down, restarted and re-checked it. Still the same however. No recent files in Excel/Word from the start menu.

(Note I get recent files when I open Word or Excel, but this has far less convenience than finding them from the task bar through which "recents" can be pinned)

Monday, November 16, 2015 1:08 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the steps with this article to test:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3469-recent-items-frequent-places-turn-off.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Skooby-do Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:37 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Thank you for providing the link http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3469-recent-items-frequent-places-turn-off.html. Using the information provided in Option 1 resolved my problem and now my recent files are displayed. :)

By the way, I am using Windows 10.

• Edited by AZMB Friday, December 30, 2016 5:28 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by Start/Win button.  Where is it located?  Thank you! 
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:17 AM
  • Hi all, 

Hope my solution can help you. If you are using Windows 10.

Click on Windows button. Type in jump. Select the "Show recently..."

Next. Active the "Show recently opened items .."

Done.

Hope you win !

Have a good day. 

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hello! Okay, this might be dumb, but I am confused as to how Notepad (loaded down on my start panel) simply displays "Notepad and Unpin;" whereas if I <g class="gr_ gr_151 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="151" id="151">rightmouse</g> click Explorer, I see a whole list of items. Also, I have no idea how this happened as it previously showed the last items opened.

Any idea as to how this happened? (I.E., I want Notepad to show the last 15/20 items, please!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Great advice!  This tutorial worked to solve the same problem for me as well.  Thank you!!!
    Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:15 PM
  • Maurice,

This worked for me (Windows 10, Office 365), but I had to open the Office programs and other applications in the taskbar to queue up the Recent Items list for each application.

Cheers,
    Chris

Monday, June 3, 2019 12:57 AM
  • The link is no longer available. Can you explain?
    Monday, June 24, 2019 10:08 PM
  • The link is no longer active

Do you have a new one?

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:08 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by Start/Win button.  Where is it located?  Thank you! 

The Start button is the button you click to open the Start menu when you have Windows loaded. It's default location is in the bottom left hand corner of the screen and looks like the Windows logo. The Windows button generally refers to a key on your keyboard that has the Windows logo on it.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:55 PM
  • Thank you, this helped! (Option 1)
    Friday, November 15, 2019 10:05 AM