none
How to backup a backup created by wbadmin on a dedicated drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am planning to dedicate an HDD to Windows server backup for backing up the BMR of our 2019 Domain Controller systems. However, I also need a mechanism to backup this backup disconnected from network. I.e. the incremental backup file which will be generated using wbadminand stored locally on that dedicated drive, I need to copy that over to a network share for redundancy just in case of, you probably know why... Unfortunately, what I have seen is that once I dedicate a drive to wbadmin, the drive is no longer available for other backup programs and even not to wbadmintool itself to perform a backup of the backup. Please advise if there is a supported way by Microsoft Support of creating a copy of the backups stored on the drive dedicated to wbadminor have another scheduled task to backupthe server to a file share in addition to the dedicated backup HDD. 

Thanks for your help 

Lovely day
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can go to the diskmgmt.msc and assign drive letter to the single partition created on the backup disk. That will make the disk accessible in the explorer. for redundancy - robocopy can be used to copy it over to the network location. note - copy will only copy the latest backup since the backups versions are maintained in the shadow copies on the backup disk. copy will not be able to copy the backup versions. backup creates \windowsimagebackup directory at the root of the volume, creates sub-directories and files under it. copy script should recursively copy the whole directory and maintain the same directory structure.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can go to the diskmgmt.msc and assign drive letter to the single partition created on the backup disk. That will make the disk accessible in the explorer. for redundancy - robocopy can be used to copy it over to the network location. note - copy will only copy the latest backup since the backups versions are maintained in the shadow copies on the backup disk. copy will not be able to copy the backup versions. backup creates \windowsimagebackup directory at the root of the volume, creates sub-directories and files under it. copy script should recursively copy the whole directory and maintain the same directory structure.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 1:40 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your answer, very clear.

Just to be sure, because I have a doubt, does assigning a drive letter to the backup volume supported by Microsoft support team (Microsoft Premier support and so far by the product group windows backup) ? 

Thanks for your help,

Lovely day

Jérémy

Thursday, April 16, 2020 9:58 AM
  • You're welcome!

Friday, April 17, 2020 1:26 AM