Biztalk service account permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having a biztalk server 2006 r2 version and currently the service account for biztalk is a part of the administrator's group. Is it required that the bts service account need to be a part of the admin group ?. or can we run as non admin group..?

Thanks

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To answer your question the log on as as service permission on the computer means the account has rights to log on with that particular logon type. If it does not have this right or policy is preventing this account than the corresponding service which runs under the account will not work when machine reboots! Best to ask a system administrator for further detail and assistance in having this set properly and/or if any policy is applicable on the machine. Second the account should have appropriate rights on database, this does not imply sysadmin server role. Rights are following:

BTS_HOST_USERS SQL Server Database Role in the following databases:

BizTalkMgmtDb

BizTalkMsgBoxDb

BizTalkRuleEngineDb

BizTalkDTADb

BAMPrimaryImport

BAM_EVENT_WRITER SQL Server Database Role in the BAMPrimaryImport

See for reference Windows Groups and User Accounts in BizTalk Server !

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here are the BizTalk 2006 R2 accounts list from MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa950047(v=bts.20).aspx

Thanks,

William

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Of windows administrators group?  No, in fact that's a bad idea.

-Dan

If this answers your question, please Mark as Answer
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:07 PM
  • To install and configure biztalk you will need to be member of admin group, but not the service account. It is good to refer the manual during installation and configuration of biztalk so you will be clear. And ofcourse it is always a good idea to give only the required permission so that it is good for security audit.  
    Please mark it as Answer if this answers your question
    Thanks.
    Mo
    The contents I write here is my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Yes. of the windows administrators group. So the service account that biztalk runs need not be an admin on the box ?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Hi Johan,

As mentioned by Mohan only the user installing and configuring the BizTalk needs to have the Admin rights, but  user account used for BizTalk service is not required to have Admin rights.

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi John,

The hosts should have access to MessageBox data related to a host and only these services can post to the MessageBox. To minimize the potential for information disclosure attacks, you should not use the same service account for more than one host. There are more recommendations found here.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers

BizTalk
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Thank you for the recommendation links. I also read the minimum sercurity user rights and is very helpful.

1. In the recommendations, it is mentioned that "the service account for each host instance must have log on as service permissions on the computer where the host instance runs". What does log on as service permissions means. I am assuming that if the service account is a part of the Biztalk Administrators Group, it should be fine right ?. Or am i not interpreting it correctly.

2. Also if the hosts need to have access to MessageBox and Mgmt dbs, then if the service account is made as a sysadmin on these SQL databases, will that be a correct way to provide permissions ?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

To answer your question the log on as as service permission on the computer means the account has rights to log on with that particular logon type. If it does not have this right or policy is preventing this account than the corresponding service which runs under the account will not work when machine reboots! Best to ask a system administrator for further detail and assistance in having this set properly and/or if any policy is applicable on the machine. Second the account should have appropriate rights on database, this does not imply sysadmin server role. Rights are following:

BTS_HOST_USERS SQL Server Database Role in the following databases:

BizTalkMgmtDb

BizTalkMsgBoxDb

BizTalkRuleEngineDb

BizTalkDTADb

BAMPrimaryImport

BAM_EVENT_WRITER SQL Server Database Role in the BAMPrimaryImport

See for reference Windows Groups and User Accounts in BizTalk Server !

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers

BizTalk
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Hi Steef,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This helps me !.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:06 PM