none
Keyboard Shortcut to switch search engines in IE9 RC

Question

• Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to a different search engine in the search box?

I would like to search a variety of sites such as Google, Bing, Wikipedia, Hulu, or Youtube. I was hoping there is a shortcut that takes to a specific search engine or at least cycle them on the list so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard as I search, just to click the search engine.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:01 PM

Answers

• Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to a different search engine in the search box?

You may still be able to create Address bar keyword shortcuts in the registry, e.g. the way that the old Quick Search.exe from the IE5 Web Accessories package did and the way that the XP TweakUI utility did. Google once had an explicit register hack for creating one for it too.

I would like to search a variety of sites such as Google, Bing, Wikipedia, Hulu, or Youtube. I was hoping there is a shortcut that takes to a specific search engine or at least cycle them on the list so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard as I search, just to click the search engine.

You don't need to take your hands off the keyboard to do that. E.g. start your search with Ctrl-e as normal, press CursorUp, choose your Search engine, press Enter, continue editing your query, then press Enter to send the request. As a consequence of this I haven't bothered with the keyword shortcuts in W7 X64 yet. Note that in W7 X64 the reg hack would have to be different, so I wouldn't expect the earlier tools to work properly for it either. E.g. at best I would expect them to create shortcuts for my IE9 64-bit version. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:52 PM
    Answerer