none
Mouse freezes, Win XP.

Question

• I am running a fully updated XP Home, (with updates enabled), on a home built PC. The only hardware change made this year was the installation of a parallel port card with associated drivers, this change predates this issue by some time. The problem is new, not easily reproduced, and has happened twice this week, requiring reboots. I will enter the details as I see them, based on my usage of the machine.

I am Admin of a PHPBB based forum which, of course, gets a lot of spammer users signing up every day, which I delete. Both times this has happened, I was engaged in this thankless task. I have cut the user name out, moved into the admin panel, and selected the option to look up a user. The screen appears and I try to move the mouse pointer to the field where the name is entered. The pointer will not move, in the venacular, it has frozen. The machine is still running, bachground tasks, (BOINC etc.), progress normally, Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the process list. In short it seems fine apart from the mouse.

As I said, this is a task I do several times a day, every day, and has been the case for years, ie. not a new activity. The problem seems to have started this week.

• Edited by adrianxw Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:57 AM Added OS to heading.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• you can use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to birng up the task list,
    go to processes select explorer.exe and press Del to end the process.
    Now press Alt+F and then N, and type explorer in the New Process window press enter and see if your mouse pointer starts working without a restart.

Now to troubleshoot the actual issue, would you go the event log and see if there are any errors/warning around the time when the mouse cursor gets stuck? if yes please post the errors.

Also it will be helpful to know if you are using a usb/ps2 or wireless mouse. If it is usb then may be just try to change the port and see if that helps. Or go to device manger and delete the entry for mouse and scan for hardware changes, this will reinstall the drivers.

Anyways dont give up, there has to be a solution.

MCSE | MCITP - Server 2008 | MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCTS - Exchange 2010
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:13 AM
  • It just happened again. This time, I was using IE but on a totally different exercise, so any thoughts about the bulletin board are now lower level.

I have printed your reply so when it happens next time, I can try your suggestion.

I found the Event Viewer, there are several logs. The system log has the first entry this afternoon but it looks like the system restarting type of thing,

Service Control Manager   None   7036   N/A.

I can see a few errors reported during the restart, but they are not suprising or relevent I think, Driver failing to start because there is no device type things.

The mouse is a bog standard wire connected model connected via a small din type plug to the motherboard, not usb or wireless.

If there is something specific or special I should be looking for, let me know.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Quick follow up, you said to delete explorer.exe, I'm going to assume that you mean iexplore.exe as that, they actually, are the processes which appear when I start IE.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Just happened again. Deleted all the iexplore tasks, about 5 of them, no change, cursor will not move. Next time, will try the next item.
    Friday, December 03, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Quick follow up, you said to delete explorer.exe, I'm going to assume that you mean iexplore.exe as that, they actually, are the processes which appear when I start IE.

I wouldn't assume that.   When you restart  explorer.exe  lots of interesting startup things are redone.  ; )

---

Friday, December 03, 2010 4:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Fair enough, I'll look for that one next time, probably tomorrow now.
    Friday, December 03, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Indeed, 9:20 this morning. I deleted and restarted explorer.exe. There was some activity on the screen, but the mouse pointer, which had re-appeared, still would not move.
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:44 AM
  • this must be annoying.

You have been having this issue for a long time, have you thought of using a USB mouse? its inexpensive and most mice work well with standard drivers. just to rule out the hardware, i suggest you try a USB mouse if you can.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Just happened again. Again, whilst using Internet Explorer, but on a further, different, site. I now do not believe the sites I use are to blame. My thoughts are moving towards Internet Explorer. I have FireFox and Opera on the system already so may see if it still happens with them. I can probably get a usb mouse locally, trouble is the snow, there is so much of it, my concept of "local" has shifted somewhat.

You say a "long time", it is a week, so not that long.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

It is necessary to find a USB mouse as test.

Before it comes, we can narrow down the issue by the following troubleshooting steps:

1.  Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.  Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 06, 2010 8:38 AM
  • 2 days on FireFox, (ver 3.5.15), have passed without further icident. It was not a readily reproduceable problem, just seemed to happen 2-3 times a day when using IE.

<edit>Just noticed the link in the mail I got when the reply came opened IE</edit>

Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:38 PM
  • 5 days using FireFox without incident. Last night, my wife started IE to look at some train times, mouse locked up after about 20 minutes. This morning, I started IE and was running for about two hours when it happened again.

I think this is something Microsoft have done.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:09 AM
  • It could be a conflict between IE and third party add-ons.

Open IE in no add-on mode to check the result.

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 13, 2010 10:29 AM
  • I have done so.

<edit>... but don't know how long I can put up with it. I'm browsing the news from the BBC website, just about all the deep stories have content that I can't see there. I have to cut and paste the links into FireFox. </edit>

Monday, December 13, 2010 11:07 AM
  • The mouse has not frozen since I started the cut down version of IE. The truth though, is that, whilst IE has been running, (since I started it yesterday, machine is a 24/7 BOINC cruncher), I have found myself avoiding it because of the lack of functionality, as I mentioned above. It is sitting in the background most of the time. I am using it now, and look at a few sites until I get fed up with it. I'm not, therefore, sure it is a fair test / proving anything.

I was suprised by the number of add-ons that are listed.

I have noticed that the mouse pointer freezes then continues again after probably less than a second. Seems to happen a lot. I am not sure this is related, I am now somewhat conditioned to mouse problems now, so it may have been doing so fo a long time, although I doubt it.

• Edited by adrianxw Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:21 AM Added the bit about the pointer freezing/continuing.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:54 AM
  • This morning, I found another pile of MS updates to load, so went ahead with that. In the mean time, I started IE normally, (not the additives free version which I closed last night), after looking at my homepage, (Astronomy Picture of the Day), went to the favourites button/icon, opened it, and the mouse froze.

Running with the sawn off version did not induce failure, I make the same point as I did yesterday though, I am not sure it gets us very far. The one thing it does is remove the mouse from the equation, the existing mouse has worked fine with FireFox and the sawn off IE.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:22 AM
  • I sort of agree that mouse is not the issue. Sort of because of the way IE and Firefox basic design differences they process hardware/drivers differently. In this case you might be correct that this is not a mouse issue. It was a suggestion to rule out legacy hardware issue.

anyways, have you tried going to Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced and Clicking on Reset? If not I suggest you try that and see if that helps. keep us updated, thank you.

If reseting doesn't help then open IE and disable all add-ons manually, work with it and see how it goes, then start enabling one add-on at a time and work with IE, it might help you find the culprit or just post the list of add-ons you have installed in IE - so we can try to see which of these add-ons might be causing the issue.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:36 AM
  • I looked at the reset option. It looks like something that will convert my "previously usable" version of IE into the sawn off version I had given up using because nothing seemed to work. I have not done this.

I can probably cut and paste the list of add-ons, but say again, I was suprised by the size of the list. Disabling them all then trying one at a time is going to take weeks! At the same time, I say again, I could not do my regular tasks with the sawn off version of IE.

<edit>Just tried to cut the list, it wouldn't let me</edit>

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:31 AM
  • If sending the list of add-ons is not possible then I would suggest a reset, its not working for you anyways so I think it is worth a try.

here is what it does.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx 

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Mouse Freezing is common in know days due to frequent malware & spyware that got download when u just in hurry to Check your routine in Internet. If you face such problem just Go to Task Bar my pressing (Alt +Shift + Tab) or (Alt + Ctrl + DEl ) then go process and Click on update- pugin conatainer and end the process- i hereby intend to inform you for Safe Online Browse pls you Netcafe Navigator a secure & highly Intense firewalled against all sort of virus , malware & spyware because its better to listen to a virus programmer who check the Browser himself on my PC. Fill free to ask any problem, i hope my comments is helpful to you
    Monday, January 02, 2012 6:27 PM