Troubleshooting "Sorry, you don't have access to this page" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I've run into this error a few times before where a subsite appears to be shared with the right people, but when navigating to SOME parts of that site, an access denied message is received.  Usually this is caused by a style library not having permissions set up correctly or some other asset that page is trying to access from the root site collection where user permissions are not set up properly.  It would be a whole lot easier if I was able to see which assets that page is trying to load from something like Chrome or IE developer toolbar ->  Network, but it's never that easy.  Digging through the ULS logs is also a dark art.  

Can anybody recommend a tool or article that outlines how to quickly troubleshoot these types of issues.

Also, which are the Diagnostic logs to enable under Central Admin for troubleshooting these issues?

Tks

Steven

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

I suggest you troubleshoot it via ULS log file and you can open ULS files via ULS Viewer and then search the page via Message column to narrow down this issue. 

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by steven_455 Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:49 AM

All replies

• Take a look at:

https://sharepointring.com/Home/Permissions

This gives you the text of the ULS entry you're looking for. Combine the time with the browser dev tools to figure out specifically the asset causing the issue.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:25 PM
  • Thanks Trevor

I tried searching logs for "PermissionMask check failed for" and found nothing.

Any other suggestons?

Steven

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Hi Steven,

I suggest you troubleshoot it via ULS log file and you can open ULS files via ULS Viewer and then search the page via Message column to narrow down this issue. 

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by steven_455 Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:49 AM