none
"Not refreshing update presence state as error CI Info status received" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I deploy new security updates on a monthly basis and often check the "Enforcement states for a deployment" report.  For those machines reporting as "Failed to install update(s)," a majority show an error within the UpdatesDeployment.Log that states "Not refreshing update presence state as error CI Info status received."  Looking at the logs, the majority of machines look as though they successfully go through the download/install process successfully however on the last step it throws an error.  An example of the error can be seen below:

Update (Site_4B91B327-0019-472F-A74D-8BA136142D1D/SUM_23ea14d6-383f-4d5b-895d-89ad6e2a9a3b) Progress: Status = ciStateError, PercentComplete = 0, DownloadSize = 0, Result = 0x800b0100

To remediate this error, I am forced to do the following on each individual machine:
    1. Stop the Windows Update Service
    2. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (Within C:\Windows) to SoftwareDistribution.old
    3. Start the Windows Update Service
    4. Force the machine to re-evaluate the software distribution

Often after doing this, the machine will re-evaluate it's security patch state and verify that it has all the required updates.  It does not have to install anything else, it just rescans and realizes that it did successfully install everything.  After 20 minutes or so the machine changes to "Compliant" within the "Enforcement States for a Deployment" report.

The issue with this is that after a couple of days the machine falls back into a non-compliant state such as "Failed to Install Update(s)."  Additionally, each patch cycle I see the same machines show up with this error so this is only a temporary fix.

I see this across servers (Server 2K3 SP2, Hyper V, etc) and workstations (Windows XP), so it does not seem to be specific to a certain OS.

Can anybody please let me know how to permanently resolve this issue?

Thanks

Monday, March 15, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please check if the following KB can help you.

Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates: "0x800B0100"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702

Thanks.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:32 AM
  • this steps worked for me.

To remediate this error, I am forced to do the following on each individual machine:
    1. Stop the Windows Update Service
    2. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (Within C:\Windows) to SoftwareDistribution.old
    3. Start the Windows Update Service
    4. Force the machine to re-evaluate the software distribution

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:15 PM