none
Force IE9 as default browser ?

Question

• Hello.

I'm wondering if it's possible without a registry "hack" to force IE9 as the default browser ?
    How do you tackle this problem, some local websites, modules only work or are designed only to work in IE
    because of time issues to make it work in all browsers and users have Firefox and Chrome as default ?

Thanks.
    Armann Jakob. 

Armann Jakob Palsson
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I wonder if you want to set IE9 as the default browser for all users. If you are running Windows 7, try the following method.

Click Start -> type default programs -> Set your default programs -> select Internet Explorer -> Set this program as default.

If computers are in domain, you can modify the group policy as below.

User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Programs (Preference Mode)

Note: Right click Internet Explorer Maintenance to enable Preference Mode.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I wonder if you want to set IE9 as the default browser for all users. If you are running Windows 7, try the following method.

Click Start -> type default programs -> Set your default programs -> select Internet Explorer -> Set this program as default.

If computers are in domain, you can modify the group policy as below.

User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Programs (Preference Mode)

Note: Right click Internet Explorer Maintenance to enable Preference Mode.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I am not so sure that this works. At least not for ie8 and XP. All my XP boxes have the management patches and I am already applying other GPPs.

I have been wrestling with this for a week. I have not been able to set the default browser to IE in a domain environment.

With this GPP I am able to turn the tick box off for "IE should check to see whether it is  the default browser". This does me no good.

This GPP does not change IE to default. When Firefox is the default, he policy is being apply with no joy.

I have yet to find a thread the says this has work with success. Can anyone help?

Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:07 PM