none
How to downgrade Windows Server 2019 STD livcence to 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Can someone guide me how I can downgrade Windows Server 2019 STD livcence to 2012?

I have a new dell server with 2019 licence, but I would like to install the 2012 version on it .

Please share step by step procedure, as I've searched the internet and cannot find the answer, the only thing on the most forums everyone is referring to downgrade rights document, but I cannot find a step by step solution in it.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:23 AM

All replies

• Windows Server Standard 2019 comes with downgrade rights as part of the license.  That means you have the right to downgrade to any previous version of Windows Server Standard.  What you need is an activation key for Windows Server 2012 Standard.

Go to the vendor from whom you purchased your license and ask them for a 2012 activation key.

You also will need 2012 media.  Again, you should be able to get a copy from the vendor from whom you purchased your system.  If you purchased from an OEM, you will need to get the media from them.  If you purchased retail, you can download an evaluation copy of the media from the Windows evaluation center.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

tim

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:11 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:08 PM
  • Hi Roman,

You can avail the downgrade or down edition options through the following options.

• Along with the Server Purchase – If you are sure your applications are not yet ready for the migration to the latest version, you can consider asking downgrade rights when purchasing the server itself. Ideally speaking, the downgrade options will be made available through the installation disks in the form of a DVD or CD and a product key.

• After the Server Purchase – You can also obtain a downgrade right after the server has been purchased. You can place a request to the vendor from where you received the server installation kit

Best regards,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 3, 2020 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 6, 2020 2:18 AM