none
SharePoint 2013: DiscussionLastUpdated managed property is not working as expected

Question

• I tried to use the 'DiscussionLastUpdated ' managed property in SharePoint 2013 to show latest commented discussions from a discussion board. I used a Content Search web part. But the web part does not update as users add comments to the discussions in the discussion board. The discussion board has unique permissions. Where the site visitors have a contribute right in addition to the read access.

I have also tried creating a new managed property named MyDiscussionLastUpdated  (mapped to ows_DiscussionLastUpdated crawled property) and it was available for use in the web part after the full crawl. The problem was not resolved still.

Here are my observations: 
    1. If an Administrator replies on a discussion any time during the day, the web part updates (as the 'DiscussionLastUpdated  '  property might have been getting updated properly) appropriately after an incremental crawl. 
    2. If a reader replies very as a  first person of the day to reply on the discussion, the web part is updated appropriately after an incremental crawl. But the web part does not get updated for any other (if that is not the first reply on the discussion for the day)replies from the reader after an incremental crawl.
    3. Web part gets updated appropriately after a full crawl regardless of the user and the time of day. 
    4. All the replies are crawled properly after an incremental crawl(as well as a full crawl of course) and can be seen in the crawl log of the search service application. 

Please help!

BR

-Uday

Friday, August 14, 2015 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Julien,

I managed to find out the root cause for the issue I was facing.

It was related to the user permissions.

In our case the discussions list had no permissions to modify the list items for the users other than who created the list item. So, whenever anyone replied to a discussion that was created by other user, the DiscussionLastUpdated property was not being updated. 

We managed to solve this issue by creating a a copy of the contribute permission level and providing the additional manage lists permission.

But I am not sure about what is the exact issue you are facing. Please provide more details about what you are exactly trying. 

Thank you!

BR

-Uday Joshi

• Edited by Uday Joshi Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Uday Joshi Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I try to do the same thing than you... but i cannot retrieve on sort the managed property DiscussionLastUpdated...

Thank you for your reply.

Julien

Monday, February 22, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hi Julien,

I managed to find out the root cause for the issue I was facing.

It was related to the user permissions.

In our case the discussions list had no permissions to modify the list items for the users other than who created the list item. So, whenever anyone replied to a discussion that was created by other user, the DiscussionLastUpdated property was not being updated. 

We managed to solve this issue by creating a a copy of the contribute permission level and providing the additional manage lists permission.

But I am not sure about what is the exact issue you are facing. Please provide more details about what you are exactly trying. 

Thank you!

BR

-Uday Joshi

• Edited by Uday Joshi Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Uday Joshi Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Hi Uday Joshi,

thank you for your answer !!

Finally i found all i want..

With searchresult web part dispay discussion sorted by DiscussionLastUpdatedOWSDATE, finally i use a result source specified with sort params.

Thanks.

Julien

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi Uday,

I'm facing similar issue with Reply Count managed property for a particular discussion. Incremental crawl does not account for number of replies to a discussion thread however it gets updated post a full crawl.

Can you please explain in detail what exactly you did to resolve the issue?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Ameya

Thursday, January 05, 2017 11:23 AM