How do I give a general AD user account access to a mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a service account that will open several mailboxes and download the email msgs from the various Junk Email folders. Can i do this with a regular AD user account and give it the necessary mailbox permissions (if so, how?) or do i have to use a mail user account (an account that has an exchange mailbox)?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if the second post is requesting for a howto, please see examples on https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/bb124097%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Regards,
    Martin

I tried this with the ultimate goal of access the mailbox using imap but the imap login is unsuccessful.

if I use this procedure on an existing mail user1 to access an existing mail user 2 then the imap connection works.

something about using a non-mail user account isn't working with imap

• Marked as answer by mnsandler Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:36 PM

All replies

• You definitely can for them to access via OWA...I've never tried via Outlook.

CRM Advisor

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:37 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

Can you point in the right direction for the procedure; it must be documented somewhere i just haven't found it.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:42 PM
  • Hi mnsandler,

it's several ways to do that in Outlook.

One option is like that:

1. choose your AD account adaccount (with no regard to an existing mailbox for addaccount).

2. grant full mailbox permission for at least one mailbox mailbox1, so you can build the MAPI profile on a client

3. grant access to all other mailboxes where you want to remove the items to mailbox1 (not: adaccount!)

4. create the MAPI profile in Outlook with logon user adaccount for mailbox mailbox1

5. check access permissions and remove messages.

If you do not want do download messages you may also consider using EWS and take a script to remove your junk mail. But that required a little bit of programming....

Let me know if the Outlook procedure was helpful.

Regards,
    Martin

• Proposed as answer by Peter Moys Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

if the second post is requesting for a howto, please see examples on https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/bb124097%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Regards,
    Martin

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,
    Martin

I tried this with the ultimate goal of access the mailbox using imap but the imap login is unsuccessful.

if I use this procedure on an existing mail user1 to access an existing mail user 2 then the imap connection works.

something about using a non-mail user account isn't working with imap

• Marked as answer by mnsandler Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Hi mnsandler,

from the article above I understood you're using Outlook, so please prefer to use MAPI profiles.
    That will be working. IMAP works completely different.

What exactly was configured on your AD account client?

Regards,
    Martin

Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Access via MAPI seems to work but my goal is access via IMAP. I can also access all the necessary mailboxes via OWA.

Why can't i do this using IMAP. I have the services running and IMAP enabled on the mailboxes.

this broke when I installed CU7. it used to work

Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:00 PM