Quick fix foe IE problems

Question

• Visit http://munksupport.com and click on the contact link if you need additional help.

Windows Vista is sure to change how you function online. Internet Explorer receives its most significant upgrade in years, and Windows Mail replaces Outlook Express. Both are great tools for maximizing Internet connections, but they aren’t without potential problems. We will help you identify and solve the most common issues with each program.
    Internet Explorer 7

With IE7, Microsoft finally adopts many of its competitors’ popular features, including tabbed browsing and active security monitoring. New functionality, though welcome, also introduces new problems.

Problem: When I click a Web page component or link, nothing happens.

Solution: IE7 places tighter restrictions on ActiveX controls and file downloads than previous versions. If you click a page element but don’t get the expected results, look for the Information Bar, a narrow yellow strip that appears under IE’s tabs. Click the strip and select Install ActiveX Control or Download File (assuming you trust the source site), allowing IE to download and install the necessary component or files. IE7 is similarly vigilant about pop-up windows. You may notice the noise IE makes when it blocks a pop-up, but when you click a link and nothing happens, select the Information Bar to reveal options for temporarily or permanently allowing pop-ups or for managing pop-up blocker settings.

If you’re having trouble emailing pages or URLs from IE, make sure Windows’ Default Programs correctly identifies your email client.

Problem: I receive an “Internet Explorer has stopped working” error message whenever I open IE from the Start menu or try to visit certain sites.

Solution: Some third-party software can corrupt IE's program files, creating the generic error message above whenever they bump into each other. Run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest patches and updates. If you can identify a specific site or program you're using when the error occurs, try updating or removing that program. If you can't launch IE generally, type Internet Options in the Start menu Search field and press ENTER to launch the Internet Properties dialog box. Navigate to the Programs tab and click the Manage Add-Ons button. Remove add-ons one by one and test IE after each removal.

Problem: Clicking an email link in IE doesn’t open the mail client I want to use.

Solution: When you follow a mailto: hyperlink, IE opens the application it thinks is your default email program. Open Internet Options in the Tools menu and select the Programs tab. Click the Set Programs button in the Internet Programs section. Select Set Your Default Programs from the resulting dialog and highlight Windows Mail (or your desired email client). Choose the Set This Program As Default option and click OK.

Problem: The Send Page By E-mail and Send Link By E-mail options in IE’s Page menu aren’t available.

Solution: IE has to know your preferred email client before it can offer Send Page and Send Link options. Open Internet Options in the Tools menu and select the Programs tab. Click the Set Programs button in the Internet Programs section. Select Set Your Default Programs from the resulting dialog box and highlight Windows Mail (or your desired email client). Choose the Set This Program As Default option.

Internet Explorer 7 makes extensive use of the Information Bar to protect your privacy and security while you are browsing the Web.

Problem: I don’t have an option to download files, and IE blocks some Web pages I try to visit.

Solution: You may be using an account for which Parental Controls have been enabled. Parental Controls can block downloads, filter the Web sites users can visit, and even limit the times you can use the computer. If you think Parental Controls might be in your way, visit the Windows Control Panel (via the Start menu) and navigate to the User Accounts And Family Safety category. You may be able to access and modify Parental Controls directly, or you may have to log off and switch users, depending on your account. After opening Parental Controls, click the Windows Vista Web Filter link to review and adjust browsing limitations.

Problem: IE seems to take forever every time I visit a new site. Once I’m there, the pages load quickly.

Solution: IE7’s Phishing Filter is aimed at preventing fraudulent Web sites posing as legitimate merchants from gathering personal information. When you follow a link to any site, IE checks against a database of known phishing sites and servers to make sure you aren’t being snookered. All that checking can take some time, especially if you’re visiting sites with frames that link to other sites. Make sure you have the latest Windows Updates installed. If the problem persists, try disabling the filter by opening the Tools menu and selecting Phishing Filter. The Turn Off Automatic Website Checking option will disable the filter, but you should turn it back on if you don’t see a noticeable performance improvement or decide you can live with the lag in page loading. If the problem disappears, you’ll have to choose between keeping the filter turned off and being cautious or putting up with the performance hit.

Problem: IE is running slowly across all sites, and I’m not seeing fresh content on all my pages.

Solution: Vista does a better job of controlling IE’s temporary files, limiting the cache to 1,024MB, but things can still get out of hand. When the cache fills up, IE bogs down as it tries to check each of those files at each page. To clear out IE’s files, click Delete Browsing History in the Tools menu. Select specific file types to clear out, including Temporary Internet Files and Form Data, without eliminating your saved passwords and cookies.

When IE is running slowly or acting peculiar, try clearing out its cache, cookies, and history.

Windows Mail

If you're familiar with Outlook or Outlook Express, Windows Mail won't present much of a learning curve beyond new terminology and a slightly different layout. But the transition process can present new challenges.

Problem: I had years of emails stored in my old email program’s mailbox. Why can’t I see those messages in Windows Mail?

Solution: Mail will automatically convert Outlook Express messages if you perform an upgrade Vista installation. If you want to import from other applications, or bypassed the upgrade in favor of a clean install, you have to guide Mail through the process before you can see those old messages. Open the File menu and select Import. Choose Messages from the list (though you can import Contacts or Account Settings, as well), pick the format your messages are in, and browse for the mailbox file’s location. Check the instructions for your previous email program if you don’t know how to export messages to common formats or aren’t sure where the program stores message files.

Problem: I received email in the past, but now I’m not getting any email messages.

Solution: First, test your Internet connection by checking another online application (such as Internet Explorer). If you're online but still can't receive messages, open the Tools menu and click Accounts. Under Mail, select the account you're having trouble with and click the Properties button. Make sure you entered the servers, username, and authentication information correctly (as provided by your ISP or email provider) and confirm your provider’s instructions for configuring mail clients. You may need to enable secure connections by selecting the Secure Password Authentication checkbox on the Servers tab or changing port number and SSL (Secure Socket Layers) settings in the Advanced tab, again depending on your provider’s rules. Finally, visit your email provider’s Web site or call its customer service line. It’s possible your provider’s system might simply be having technical trouble that has nothing to do with Windows Mail or your Internet connection.

Problem: I am receiving email successfully, but messages I send to other people sit in my Outbox folder without going anywhere.

Solution: Outgoing SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) settings often require different server names and settings than their incoming counterparts. Open Tools and select the Accounts option. Highlight the account you want to send your message from and click Properties. Under the Servers tab, confirm that the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) server conforms to your provider’s documentation. Next, observe the Outgoing Mail Server section. If your email provider requires authentication for sending mail (and it probably does), select the check box here and click the Settings button. The default logon is the same as your incoming username and password, but some providers require different credentials. It’s also worth noting that some email service providers won’t let you send outgoing mail from other networks, so you may have to configure incoming options for your email provider and send outgoing mail through the account your ISP provides.

Problem: Mail won’t let me open attachments.

Solution: Email attachments are the most common method of spreading viruses, so Windows Mail blocks certain kinds of attachments (including executable programs [EXE], script files [SCR], and some active Web pages) as a security precaution. To open these attachments, first make sure your antivirus and antispyware applications are running and then open the files directly from your hard drive. If you are sure Mail isn’t blocking the attachment and the file won’t open from your hard drive, you may not have the proper software to open that file.

In Vista, Windows Mail replaces Outlook Express and moves some key components around.

Problem: Some of the newsletters and group emails I subscribe to have gone missing, and I can’t find several order confirmations from online purchases.

Solution: Mail automatically runs an aggressive Junk E-mail filter to limit the amount of spam reaching your Inbox. Sometimes the filter can be too aggressive, though, and flags legitimate subscriptions and emails. Check Mail’s Junk E-mail folder to see if it’s holding messages you want to read. If so, right-click the message and select Junk E-mail in the context menu. Next, you can select Mark As Not Junk for the individual message or opt to add the sender (or all senders from the same domain) to the Safe Senders List.

Problem: When creating a new message, AutoComplete doesn’t fill in email addresses that I added to my Contacts list.

Solution: Windows Mail’s version of the AutoComplete feature only works for email addresses to which you’ve sent messages previously; it won’t work if you only entered the information in to the Contacts list. You need to correspond with your Contacts before their addresses will AutoComplete.

Problem: Mail won’t remember my password, even when I select the Remember Password option.

Solution: Open the Tools menu and select Accounts. Choose the account for which Mail won’t remember your password and click the Properties button. Ensure that the Remember Password checkbox is selected and click OK. If Mail still won’t remember the password, your account may be corrupted or your antivirus software may be getting in the way. First, write down the account’s settings (server names, security options, ports) from the Accounts dialog box. Then, remove and re-create the account. If this still doesn’t work, try disabling your antivirus software’s email scanning temporarily. Some security software gets in the way of Mail’s password authentication mechanism. If disabling email scanning resolves the issue, download the latest Vista-compatible version of your antivirus software or shop for a different program.

Problem: I receive email OK, but my messages don’t have any pictures in them. All I see are little red Xs where the images should be.

Solution: Windows Mail blocks most email images, which unscrupulous emailers will sometimes use to identify which messages people open (and thus which addresses are valid). If you trust a particular sender and want to view the images in his messages, just click the yellow Information Bar along the top of the email message or preview pane.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 5:28 AM

All replies

• I’m not sure what you are talking about, but if you have IE problems of internet connection is very slow, you can try a software tuneup360, it's really helpful~~

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:07 AM