Second Exchange 2013 server in remote site RRS feed

• Question

• Just finished migrating from 2007 to 2013 and decommissioned 2007.  Exchange 2013 is running in site A with 350 mailboxes on it.  However, almost half of those users reside in site B so the plan is to introduce a second Exchange 2013 server to this site and migrating mailboxes to it.  There already exists a DC & GC in both sites.

My question is, immediately after I introduce Exchange 2013 into site B with CAS & MBX role, client computers from that site will start to receive certificate errors.  Will updating the SCP on the new exchange server to point to the SCP on the exchange server in site A be enough to mitigate that problem?  What other precautions will I need to take?  Has anybody been down this road?

Monday, August 25, 2014 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Terry Ross,

Baesd on my experence, you'd better re-create a new certificate that includes two servers.

It is not difficult to do.

Best regards,

Eric

• Marked as answer by Terry Ross Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can introduce the second exchange server in the remote site and also setup a DAG. If you are using the same name on your certificate like mail.domain.com then you can use the cert for your second server as well. You need to make sure you have autodiscover records setup correctly.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by MAS- Friday, August 29, 2014 10:31 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Hi Terry Ross,

Baesd on my experence, you'd better re-create a new certificate that includes two servers.

It is not difficult to do.

Best regards,

Eric

• Marked as answer by Terry Ross Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:28 AM
  • In addition to Ed's suggestion, it is a best practice to create new AD-Site for new exchange deployments, configure URLs, mailflow, certificates etc. and once they are completed, move the subnet to Production site. This way users will not see any certificate related errors.

- Sarvesh Goel - Enterprise Messaging Administrator

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:49 AM