Configuration wizard - unauthorized RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Sharepoint using my account a few days ago and was able to create sites etc.  Today, when I tried to run the Sharepoint configuration wizard I got the following exception:

Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Any idea why?  I installed Sharepoint and I'm in the farm administrators group.

thanks,

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:01 PM

All replies

• make sure your ID in Local Admin groups.

also give that id full control rights on windows\tasks folder

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/bbc05ac7-ce17-4645-9d37-146d9f6c8e84/sharepoint-2013-psconfig-wizard-failed-to-secure-the-sharepoint-resources?forum=sharepointadmin

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:16 PM
  • I am in the local admin group and I gave myself Full control rights on the windows\tasks folder and the configuration wizard is still giving the unauthorized exception.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Could you please share the complete error?

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:09 PM
  • Here is the error from the log file:

08/09/2016 15:14:56  16  ERR                    Task secureresources has failed with an unknown exception
    08/09/2016 15:14:56  16  ERR                    Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
       at System.Security.AccessControl.Win32.SetSecurityInfo(ResourceType type, String name, SafeHandle handle, SecurityInfos securityInformation, SecurityIdentifier owner, SecurityIdentifier group, GenericAcl sacl, GenericAcl dacl)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity.Persist(String fullPath)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPResourceAccess.SecureResources(Boolean isSingleBox, EventHandler`1 progressUpdateEvent)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.SecurityTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

08/09/2016 15:14:56  16  ERR                    An exception of type System.UnauthorizedAccessException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
       at System.Security.AccessControl.Win32.SetSecurityInfo(ResourceType type, String name, SafeHandle handle, SecurityInfos securityInformation, SecurityIdentifier owner, SecurityIdentifier group, GenericAcl sacl, GenericAcl dacl)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity.Persist(String fullPath)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPResourceAccess.SecureResources(Boolean isSingleBox, EventHandler`1 progressUpdateEvent)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.SecurityTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

According to the error message you provided, it should be a permission issue.

A suggestion is that, please check the Security setting of the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\16.0” folder, ensure the “WSS_ADMIN_WPG” has “Full Control” on it:

If the “WSS_ADMIN_WPG” has no “Full Control” on this folder, grant the “Full Control” to it and run the Configuration Wizard again to see if the issue persists.

Please let me know if there any progress.

Best regards,

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi bbatl,

How is it going now?

Best regards,

Patrick

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Hello bbatl,

Hope this helps you !

Config wizard is failing with 'UnauthorizedAccessException' when it tries to perform the task 'secureresources'.

It happens in the situation where the HOSTS file located at 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc' is restricted for any editing. The restrictions can be applied either by group policy or by ANTIVIRUS.

In my organization, I faced similar issue many times. Here we use Symantec antivirus on servers, and its centrally controlled by security team. Make sure you perform the below steps:

1 - Ask the security team to remove the SharePoint server (at which you run config wizard) from the HOSTS file restriction.

2 - Restart the PC, and run sharepoint config wizard with farm account.

If its due to group policy, approach the GP team to allow hosts file modification on your server, then reboot the server and run the configuration wizard.

Mohammed Ammar ES

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Thanks Dear Mohammed

it works for me !

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:10 PM