none
How can I uninstall IE11 from Windows Server 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have a Question about IE11:

How can I uninstall IE11 in Windows 2012 R2?

I cant find it in features or installed updates...

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Patrick

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:37 AM
  • I cant find it in features or installed updates...

It would be understandable not to have it in installed updates but not at least having a checkbox in Windows Features suggests something is interfering.  What other browser do you have installed?  When was that done?

One way to check on the version of the feature is to use dism (in an Administrator Command Prompt, aka elevated cmd window)

There first do:

dism.exe  /online  /get-features  |  find  /i  "Optional"

and see what it finds to determine what your next query should be

For example, I just found (on W7sp1 with IE11 Preview installed)

C:\>dism.exe /online /get-features | find /i "Optional"
    Feature Name : Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

And so, would next request

dism.exe  /online  /get-featureinfo:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

where I see

C:\>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64 | findstr "Display.Name State"
    Display Name : Internet Explorer 11
    State : Enabled

I will be interested in seeing your results to these queries.  E.g. I imagine that you will see  State: Disabled.  That would explain why you can't find iexplore.exe but I have not yet seen a satisfactory explanation for how some people also lose the ability to toggle it back on in Windows Features.  AFAIK all that the DISM  /Disable-Feature  command would do is put the checkmark back off and thus disallow use of the iexplore.exe program stub.

I suppose you could try using the  DISM  /Enable-Feature  command to try to reverse the latter effect even though your GUI is suppressing its checkbox.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I cant find it in features or installed updates...

It would be understandable not to have it in installed updates but not at least having a checkbox in Windows Features suggests something is interfering.  What other browser do you have installed?  When was that done?

One way to check on the version of the feature is to use dism (in an Administrator Command Prompt, aka elevated cmd window)

There first do:

dism.exe  /online  /get-features  |  find  /i  "Optional"

and see what it finds to determine what your next query should be

For example, I just found (on W7sp1 with IE11 Preview installed)

C:\>dism.exe /online /get-features | find /i "Optional"
    Feature Name : Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

And so, would next request

dism.exe  /online  /get-featureinfo:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

where I see

C:\>dism.exe /online /get-featureinfo:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64 | findstr "Display.Name State"
    Display Name : Internet Explorer 11
    State : Enabled

I will be interested in seeing your results to these queries.  E.g. I imagine that you will see  State: Disabled.  That would explain why you can't find iexplore.exe but I have not yet seen a satisfactory explanation for how some people also lose the ability to toggle it back on in Windows Features.  AFAIK all that the DISM  /Disable-Feature  command would do is put the checkmark back off and thus disallow use of the iexplore.exe program stub.

I suppose you could try using the  DISM  /Enable-Feature  command to try to reverse the latter effect even though your GUI is suppressing its checkbox.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Robert,

thanks for your response.

At the moment, only IE11 is installed on this Server.

Sorry, I forgot to say, that I want to use IE10, that's the reason why I want to disable/uninstall IE11.

When I use "dism.exe /online /disable-feature:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64"

IE11 will be disabled, but I still can't use IE10.

Regards,

Patrick

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Does that mean if our SharePoint development workstation is running Workstation 2012 R2, then we will not be able to use IE for testing since IE 11 currently does not play well with SharePoint?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:54 AM
  • IE 11 currently does not play well with SharePoint

Can you elaborate?  Each time this point is raised I mention the Developer Tools Emulation overrides and don't think I have seen a clear explanation of the symptoms with results from that diagnostic included.

I don't even know if anyone has reported the problem here yet

https://www.modern.ie/en-us/compat-issue-report

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:35 PM
    Answerer
  • We are tired of reporting what MS should already know. A few facts:

Fact 1: IE 11 and SharePoint 2013 development do not work together. IE 11 does not work propertly with SharePoint 2013 and is full of problems e.g. it does not go into edit mode on a SharePoint page, it does not debug typescript from a SharePoint project etc etc.

Fact 2. Chrome is now more compatible with SharePoint that IE 11.

Fact 3. MS are making foolish decisions making it impossible for developers. It one thing to release a buggy IE 11 but it is incomprehensible that you cannot revert to an older more stable version!

Fact 4. MS seems to be unaware or non responsive to the urgency of problems like this.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 6:30 AM
  • A few facts:

Another would be that they provide Enterprise mode now, especially for cases such as this.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 20, 2015 4:56 PM
    Answerer