Migrating Win7 virtual machines to Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have several Virtual Machines in Win 7 that I use to check an Access application's compatibility with various versions of Office. If I upgrade to Windows 10, will my existing virtual machines migrate to Win 10 (not necessarily as Hyper-V)?
    Monday, May 16, 2016 11:40 AM

Answers

• You don't say what virtualization software you are using, but if it's
    Windows Virtual PC, which runs on Windows 7, the answer is no, they will
    not be migrated to anything, but the files should still exist so you can
    upgrade them. (Windows Virtual PC doesn't run on Windows 10)

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Hi MikeNatrella,

What kind of virtual machine were you using on Windows 7? If it was the "XP Mode" system, that is no longer available after Windows 7. For the Microsoft Virtual PC, when you upgrade, the fills could exist. But you may not be able to boot up your old VM. We might need a fresh install in Hyper-V. Windows 10 Pro does support Hyper-V, and you can run it inside it.  It's totally free, so you may have to set it up again, if you want.

Please check the link below about VMC to Hyper-V Import Tool Available, I hope it could be helpful for you.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/matthts/2008/09/12/vmc-to-hyper-v-import-tool-available/

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:56 AM

All replies

• You don't say what virtualization software you are using, but if it's
    Windows Virtual PC, which runs on Windows 7, the answer is no, they will
    not be migrated to anything, but the files should still exist so you can
    upgrade them. (Windows Virtual PC doesn't run on Windows 10)

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Hi MikeNatrella,

What kind of virtual machine were you using on Windows 7? If it was the "XP Mode" system, that is no longer available after Windows 7. For the Microsoft Virtual PC, when you upgrade, the fills could exist. But you may not be able to boot up your old VM. We might need a fresh install in Hyper-V. Windows 10 Pro does support Hyper-V, and you can run it inside it.  It's totally free, so you may have to set it up again, if you want.

Please check the link below about VMC to Hyper-V Import Tool Available, I hope it could be helpful for you.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/matthts/2008/09/12/vmc-to-hyper-v-import-tool-available/

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:56 AM