none
RDP Cals Per User Licensing Module Understanding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am Having win 2012 R2 standard edition server and i have deployed 15 RDS per user cals license on the server.

RDS licenses has been issued for 44 users, Now the scenario is:

I am getting licensing error ie. 

The remote session was disconnected because there are no remote desktop license.

for temporary purpose i have delete the RCM grace period in registry and have restarted the server, Its working fine as of now.

So need to understand the licensing module, so what 15 rds users licenses means ??

Thanks for support !!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:17 AM

Answers

• Dear Jenny,

Thanks for support ...

Now my question is as you mention rest user will get license error, but in my case none of the user is able to login & its displays license error as mention in above question.

Appreciated your support... 

Monday, July 8, 2019 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

RDS per user CALs are issued to unique person. In your case, since 15 of 44 users already consumed the 15 per user CALs, rest users will receive the error message "no available CAL" when connecting the server.

You can use the Remote Desktop Licensing Manager tool to check the CAL usages.

Track your Remote Desktop Services client access licenses (RDS CALs)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-track-cals

Usually when determine which type of licensing to buy, we can count the total number of people (users) as well as the total number of unique devices that will connect to the server using Remote Desktop. And choose the lower type to minimize the costs.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
    jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this post.

You can click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Dear Jenny,

Thanks for support ...

Now my question is as you mention rest user will get license error, but in my case none of the user is able to login & its displays license error as mention in above question.

Appreciated your support... 

Monday, July 8, 2019 11:16 AM