none
IE9 problem with Google

Question

• I've got a problem on a domain I manage, users cannot get back to Google (and only Google it appears) by hitting the "back" button in the browser (or using the dropdown list and picking the previous link), the page they're on simply reloads.  If they hit the back button three or four times in quick succession they can get back to Google.

The curious thing is that this behaviour only happens for standard users, it works for administrators, so it must be some difference in their permissions but I'm damned if I can find it, there are GPOs in place but only a few that relate to IE9 and none of them seem to be responsible as far as I can tell.  Firefox works fine, and this is multi-platform, IE9 installed on Vista, Windows 7, x64 etc.  Doesn't happen with other search engines, only Google.

There is a URL filter in place but I've bypassed it and the behaviour remains the same, so I'm pretty certain it can't be that.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

• And of course as soon as I post on here I figure it out:

The other users are running in IE7 compatibility mode - Google appears to have changed their website in some way so it doesn't work properly in IE7 compatibility mode.  With compatibility mode turned off it works fine.

Good to know...

• Marked as answer by cybershooters Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:57 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:57 PM