none
IE Script Error when Printing

Question

• Hi

I originally posted elsewhere but was advised to try this forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie-script-error-when-printing/ab9a80f8-02e5-4ba2-9c3e-0266bb31c831?tm=1365149413768#_self

I was reluctant to add fuel to the fire as there appear to be a lot of support requests regarding this error, however each KB article and suggested fix within has failed for me.

The problem is I get the following error when printing from IE9

An error has occurred in script on the page Line 2072 char 1 error unspecified error code 0 url res://ieframe.dll/previews.js

It should be noted that no matter which printer I select it gives the same error, this includes PDF printers and Microsoft XPS Doc Writer.

When I turn on debugging I see it break at the following line

if (Printer.startDoc(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.URL))

This is happening on Windows 7 32 & 64bit machines
    If I roll back to IE8 printing works fine.
    If I upgrade to IE10 and press print nothing happens, no print or error message.

It may be unrelated but the only change I can think of that happened around a similar time was a Java update that I rolled out.

Just as an overview here is a number of things I have tried with no luck...
    1: Your video card or video driver is outdated or corrupt.
    Using latest version, tried rolling back with no change
    2: You may not have printer permissions assigned
    Tested and does not work even running as admin
    3: Protected Mode is enabled for the Internet security zone of the web page
    Turned off, no change
    4: There is an issue with temporary folders on your user account and the Low folder under the %TEMP% location has been deleted
    Low folder present, worked through fix anyway with no result
    5: Disable script debugging
    Done, no result
    6: Test a webpage from another user account, browser, or computer
    Another user account, same issue
    Another browser, prints fine (firefox, chrome)
    All computers in my domain have this problem
    7: Verify that Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not being blocked by Internet Explorer
    Done, no result
    8: Remove all temporary Internet files
    Done, no result
    9: Install the latest service pack and software updates for Internet Explorer
    Done as mentioned with IE10 no error but still doesn't respond to print command~
    10: Reset IE settings
    Done, no result

It seems I have exhausted all articles I can find with no resolution.
    I have also tried cleaning the registry, repairing windows and going over all group policy settings but this has not helped.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Friday, April 05, 2013 9:16 AM

All replies

• 1. You have done a lot of tests. Give a try to deeper look with Process Monitor.

2. Make sure that the printed document is not corrupted.

3. It does not hurt to place this question to appropriate Adobe support forum.

Rgds

Milos

Friday, April 05, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Milos.

I've been having a look with process monitor this morning but haven't found anything useful yet.

Corruption of the document is not applicable, the problem occurs when I print any webpage from IE9 or 10.
    This is true from any machine in my domain.

I haven't mentioned Adobe in my original post so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    FYI although this does occur with Adobe's built in PDF printer it also occurs with Microsoft XPS doc writer, all networked printers and any local usb connected printer I have tried.

Friday, April 05, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Go to the printer manufacturer's website, download latest printer driver and see how it works.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 08, 2013 5:48 AM
  • The problem is not the printer, I can print to any printer or format (xps/pdf) from any other piece of software including other browsers and IE8.

Even though this is the case I upgraded printer drivers regardless and can confirm there is no change.

Probably gonna roll back the entire office to IE8 although this is not ideal.

Any other ideas anyone?..

Monday, April 08, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I am adding my post to this thread because I am having the exact same issue within our domain as well. I am looking for a resolution to this problem. My thread is as follows:

"Random PC's within our company are having issues with printing form IE9 or IE10. The IT dept. has tried many if not all the solutions found on the web to no avail. We have suggested to a few people to use Chrome or Firefox as a short term fix. As our company is at a very busy point in the season we need a solution to this issue if anyone can help. A couple other things we have tried are:

1) reverting back to IE8. This seems to fix the issue, but is not a fix to our issue.

2) adjusting the IE security settings to disable the enable protected mode does not work for us at all

3) updating/rolling back  drivers does not fix the issue since all of our drivers are up to date and rolling back doesn't fix it either.

4) using a different printer. We have multiple printers of different brands and this does not fix the issue

5) running IE as an administrator does not fix the issue

6) PDF's print fine since we use PDFcreator

7) We have also tried the "fix it" tools

All of these do not fix or do anything for our issue. All of the PC's that we use that are having the issues are Lenovo think centers or laptops. They are all running windows 7 professional (32 and 64 bit versions) and of course IE9 or IE10. All drivers and windows updates are up to date. Again this isn't just one PC or all of the PC's it is just a few random computers that have this issue. If there are any solutions that anyone can think of that we haven't already tried please comment below.

These are some questions and my answers from a thread I posted on Microsoft's support forum.

1. Are the computers connected to a domain network?
    2. Do you receive any error message or error code?
    3. Does the issue occur with particular webpage?<o:p></o:p>

1. Yes all hosts are tied to a domain

2. the error code/message received is:

Line: 2072

Char: 1

Error: Unspecified Error

Code: 0

URL: re://ieframe.dll/previewjs

3. No this issue is any web page we try to print."

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:21 PM
  • I've been having a look with process monitor this morning but haven't found anything useful yet.

You had a breakpoint set to capture details for the error, so the ProcMon trace would supplement whatever you are seeing at that point.

I haven't mentioned Adobe in my original post so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Perhaps Adobe would have a way of providing relevant diagnostics for their virtual printer?

The only other possibility that I can think of is that there are a lot of new .dll related to printing in IE9 and IE10 which have not yet been considered as potential registry repair tools.   E.g. any which contain entry points for DllRegisterServer or DllInstall supposedly could be re-registered using regsvr32.exe.

A related test, which would assume that the problem was only in existing user accounts, e.g. not in the Default User account and not in the HKLM, would be to try creating a new account and see if it experiences the same symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 6:30 PM
    Answerer
  • We are having the same problem but only with one particular type of printer, a Samsung ML 3710. Here are my thoughts and observations:

IE9 with Protected Mode on. Send job to print. This causes something related to the Samsung print driver (a print monitor??) to attempt to run. IE9 Protected Mode won't allow it and the error is displayed.

The only solution I can see is either add every site to Trusted Sites or turn off Protected Mode, neither of which are a serious option.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:08 AM
  • The only solution I can see is either add every site to Trusted Sites or turn off Protected Mode, neither of which are a serious option.

Others have found a solution using XPS, either by printing to a virtual printer XPS Document Writer or by having a driver which actually supports XPS directly to the printer.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply Robert I hadn't checked back for a while as it went some time without a reply. Just a small update on this, the problem was effecting every machine in the domain. I have since added some new machines (same model as the others) and they can print fine. The only other domain wide change I can think of that happened during this period was a registry edit performed via group policy that stopped Java updates from popping up for our users. Whether this is related or not I am yet to find out but it would not have applied to the new machines. Re ProcMon I had not actually used it before so I'm learning how to which will hopefully give me more clues...
    Monday, May 20, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hi

I originally posted elsewhere but was advised to try this forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie-script-error-when-printing/ab9a80f8-02e5-4ba2-9c3e-0266bb31c831?tm=1365149413768#_self

I was reluctant to add fuel to the fire as there appear to be a lot of support requests regarding this error, however each KB article and suggested fix within has failed for me.

The problem is I get the following error when printing from IE9

An error has occurred in script on the page Line 2072 char 1 error unspecified error code 0 url res://ieframe.dll/previews.js

It should be noted that no matter which printer I select it gives the same error, this includes PDF printers and Microsoft XPS Doc Writer.

When I turn on debugging I see it break at the following line

This is happening on Windows 7 32 & 64bit machines
    If I roll back to IE8 printing works fine.
    If I upgrade to IE10 and press print nothing happens, no print or error message.

It may be unrelated but the only change I can think of that happened around a similar time was a Java update that I rolled out.

Just as an overview here is a number of things I have tried with no luck...
    1: Your video card or video driver is outdated or corrupt.
    Using latest version, tried rolling back with no change
    2: You may not have printer permissions assigned
    Tested and does not work even running as admin
    3: Protected Mode is enabled for the Internet security zone of the web page
    Turned off, no change
    4: There is an issue with temporary folders on your user account and the Low folder under the %TEMP% location has been deleted
    Low folder present, worked through fix anyway with no result
    5: Disable script debugging
    Done, no result
    6: Test a webpage from another user account, browser, or computer
    Another user account, same issue
    Another browser, prints fine (firefox, chrome)
    All computers in my domain have this problem
    7: Verify that Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not being blocked by Internet Explorer
    Done, no result
    8: Remove all temporary Internet files
    Done, no result
    9: Install the latest service pack and software updates for Internet Explorer
    Done as mentioned with IE10 no error but still doesn't respond to print command~
    10: Reset IE settings
    Done, no result

It seems I have exhausted all articles I can find with no resolution.
    I have also tried cleaning the registry, repairing windows and going over all group policy settings but this has not helped.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

I Have exactly the same problem..no answer yet?
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:04 AM
  • @taubman

suggests that it is an issue with XSS from an iframe...

If this is happening only on some websites try

before printing the page, view the suppressed error messages from IE....

f12>Console tab,... refresh the page to view the errors

If you can provide a web address where we can reproduce the issue it would be helpful.

Rob^_^

Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:15 AM
  • @taubman

Not yet, I'll update when/if I figure it out... need to find myself some time to work through it.

Friday, May 31, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hello,

did you get any solution for the problem? Since one week, i have the same script error at a terminal server and i'm not able to solve it...

Friday, September 20, 2013 11:40 AM
  • So after four months of tech support from "you know who" I am still without a solution. I am stumped as to the cause and fix for this problem. I am quoting an email I have, and I confuses me even more. 

Today, I discussed the issue with the debug engineer. And I now understand what is confusing us. From the IDNA trace we identified that the issue is occurring as the XPS process was not able to acquire the file attributes of the file. Hence, procmon logs were collected . However the procmon log results were consistent with idna trace and show that the query to acquire file attributes are failing. What perplexes us is that, IE9 makes no changes to how files are accessed then why would querying of  file attributes fail.

Thought I would throw this out there to see if someone can use this to provide a solution for all. As a side note This quote mentions IE9. We also have this problem with IE10 as well.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Hello,

did you get any solution for the problem? Since one week, i have the same script error at a terminal server and i'm not able to solve it...

Unfortunately I never got to the root of it.

Mainly due to the fact that (those experiencing the issue I'm sorry in advance) other factors meant that I had to roll out a new desktop build to the entire office. Since building up from scratch and rolling out we no longer experience the script error in IE9 or IE10.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Same problem here in our domain..

is there still now answer except reinstall ?

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 1:23 PM
  • I now have a user getting this same error when printing from IE9. Win 7 Pro x86. If she prints to another printer, it's fine. If she prints to her printer from Outlook or another application, it works fine. It's just IE9 printing to her printer. Strange indeed. Already wiped her temp files and cleared Java cache, no change. Now I'm going to try to update her printer driver as well as Java runtime. Can't imagine that will fix it, based on the huge amount of troubleshooting OP and others have already done.

Anyways, just wanted to throw my hat into the ring. Good luck all.

Monday, November 04, 2013 4:24 PM
  • I ended up installing her printer as a local printer with an IP address. Prior, it was just installed from the print server which is 2003 x86. So I'm wondering if there was an issue with the handoffs of the print jobs. I downloaded the Win 7 x86 driver from HP's website, and now her IE9 prints just fine.
    Monday, November 04, 2013 5:01 PM
  • It's just IE9 printing to her printer. Strange indeed.

Only if IE9 also will not print with Protected Mode Off (or using an elevated iexplore.exe task which would both do that and potentially loosen any permissions constraints which would be causing the problem symptoms.)  Both are the sorts of differences which running ProcMon could help expose.  Take two traces, compare them for their essential differences.  If you're lucky they could be so similar at the Process & Thread view that you could just just examining them in more detail where they diverged using that coarse filter.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:50 PM
    Answerer
  • i did some test here in our company, i find out that the Script error will come on all Domain computers.

i did a clean install without putting the Pc in the Domain (so no domain policys att all) i make a test print and it worked fine. then i put this system in the domain en automatically he gets the default domain policy. now i get this scipt error again. maybe there is something in the default domain policy that causing this.but i don't know what it is.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:58 AM
  • From outsourced debugging team:

"IE9 onwards, a component was introduced within the graphic stack (user mode) that abstracted direct GDI printing.  This layer is the XPS GDI conversion. 

The error message is displayed as a constructor of a class within XPSGDICONVERTER fails.  This is because it enumerates all entries within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts and finds REG_EXPANDED_SZ type strings.  This class is hardcoded to reject any REG_EXPANDED_SZ and expects only  REG_SZ entries within this registry key."

Took 7 months for this solution. I had to delete some of the registry keys. My apologizes for not listing them here. I agreed to only give reason for error. I cannot give the solution.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:13 PM